Spy Shelter Firewall
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Zemana Antimalware Free (ver. 3)
EEK
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Vivaldi (custom settings, configuration for maximum privacy and protection of browser); uBlock Origin, uMatrix, Lastpass
Maintenance tools
VeraCrypt
SysHardener 1.5
File and Photo backup
Yandex Disk
System recovery
Default system backup
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Acer Aspire 7750 ZG
CPU: Intel Pentium B940, 2000 MHz
RAM: 4 Gb, DDR3
HDD: 320 Gb, SATA

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Nice!
Keep in mind that SpyShelter is all about answering prompts correctly. It is totally user-dependent protection, there are no automatic blocks (unless you specifically set it up that way).
@ichito is the SpyShelter ninja...

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Nice!
Keep in mind that SpyShelter is all about answering prompts correctly. It is totally user-dependent protection, there are no automatic blocks (unless you specifically set it up that way).
I use the default settings in SpyShelter. The only thing that changed was to uncheck the option "allow SpyShelter to end the process in Task Manager", plus set up all permissions in SpyShelter for conflict-free work with other security programs.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I use the default settings in SpyShelter. The only thing that changed was to uncheck the option "allow SpyShelter to end the process in Task Manager", plus set up all permissions in SpyShelter for conflict-free work with other security programs.
Step by step and your SS configuration become more granular and efficient. First...I think you should know how level of protections works and where is the diference between them - look this post on Wilders
As you can see all detected actions are the same but there are diferent automatic decisions (or there is no such decisions) according to chosen level of protection. Than you should try to use feature "files/folders protection" (Settings/Security).

Hahaha :oops: Thanks for your opinion...without some false modesty :emoji_beer:

Last edited:

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
As of this day, I'm with Comodo Firewall at CS settings. But in the last five years, I used VoodooShield or SpyShelter Premium ( lifetime license): all of them are great pieces of software. And the protection is top notch!

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Step by step and your SS configuration become more granular and efficient. First...I think you should know how level of protections works and where is the diference between them - look this post on Wilders
As you can see all detected actions are the same but there are diferent automatic decisions (or there is no such decisions) according to chosen level of protection. Than you should try to use feature "files/folders protection" (Settings/Security).
Read your post. If I understand you correctly, do you recommend setting the "ask user" option as the most reliable?
I was given an lifetime license for SpyShelter Firewall. So I make changes to the configuration. Instead SpyShelter Premium install SpyShelter Firewall. And delete the MWFC. Firewall from SpyShelter reliable by default, or also need to configure? Is it possible to set manual mode for outgoing connections?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I was given an lifetime license for SpyShelter Firewall.
Wow. SpyShelter Firewall in "ask user mode" is totally powerful, if you know how to use it right, and you have the patience for it. There is a lot to learn, but for an experienced and careful user, it is tops.

Again, many people make the mistake of thinking that SpyShelter "protects" them. It doesn't. But it empowers you to protect yourself by making wise decisions.

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Wow. SpyShelter Firewall in "ask user mode" is totally powerful, if you know how to use it right, and you have the patience for it. There is a lot to learn, but for an experienced and careful user, it is tops.

Again, many people make the mistake of thinking that SpyShelter "protects" them. It doesn't. But it empowers you to protect yourself by making wise decisions.

How to enable this mode?

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Last edited:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
How to enable this mode?
Do you mean protection level?...it's called "Certified applications"" and here you have where you can change it
190617135322_1.jpg
But as @shmu26 said this level is as smart as you are...everything will depend on your knowledge and decision :)

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Do you mean protection level?...it's called "Certified applications"" and here you have where you can change it
View attachment 215142
But as @shmu26 said this level is as smart as you are...everything will depend on your knowledge and decision :)
I set this level, but it seems that this is not what I wanted. I want SpyShelter Firewall to give me an alert for any outcoming connections. So that I could choose which program to allow Internet access, and which one - not to allow.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I set this level, but it seems that this is not what I wanted. I want SpyShelter Firewall to give me an alert for any outcoming connections. So that I could choose which program to allow Internet access, and which one - not to allow.
So why not just use Binisoft firewall control or something like that? Why do you need SpyShelter Firewall? It's sort of like using a truck to pick up your groceries. :)

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
So why not just use Binisoft firewall control or something like that? Why do you need SpyShelter Firewall? It's sort of like using a truck to pick up your groceries. :)
So they say that the Firewall from SpyShelter is more powerful and reliable, than the Windows Firewall. :)

Reactions: oldschool

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So they say that the Firewall from SpyShelter is more powerful and reliable, than the Windows Firewall. :)
It is more powerful, but the power is not in that particular area. You can get that particular function from Binisoft or other firewalls. As for more reliable, I don't know what exactly that is referring to.

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
It is more powerful, but the power is not in that particular area. You can get that particular function from Binisoft or other firewalls. As for more reliable, I don't know what exactly that is referring to.
The program from Binisoft automatically allows access to the Internet, for example, all metro applications, Cortana, X-box, etc. And these applications are constantly climbing the Internet, creating automatic permissions for themselves, transmitting something, receiving something. And the program from Binisoft does not control their activity in outcoming connections.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The program from Binisoft automatically allows access to the Internet, for example, all metro applications, Cortana, X-box, etc. And these applications are constantly climbing the Internet, creating automatic permissions for themselves, transmitting something, receiving something. And the program from Binisoft does not control their activity in outcoming connections.

To remove the processes you find objectionable, you can use O&O Shutup, WimTweaks, etc. to remove whatever your heart desires. Then you may use WFC, etc. to allow only what you want.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So you can leave it at "ask user", but disable monitoring for all the actions you don't care about. You could even disable everything except for firewall, if that is what you want.

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
No, I don’t want to disable everything, I just need the firewall to notify me about outcoming connections every time, no matter what program or process they come from. Of course, you can use the program from Binisoft, but why, if SpyShelter has its own firewall? Or is it impossible to configure it so that it always gives an alert for outcoming program connections? Do not completely control everything manually, but only requests for outgoing connections, while leaving all other components on automatic mode?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.