Spy Shelter Firewall
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Zemana Antimalware Free (ver. 3)
EEK
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Vivaldi (custom settings, configuration for maximum privacy and protection of browser); uBlock Origin, uMatrix, Lastpass
Maintenance tools
VeraCrypt
SysHardener 1.5
File and Photo backup
Yandex Disk
System recovery
Default system backup
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Acer Aspire 7750 ZG
CPU: Intel Pentium B940, 2000 MHz
RAM: 4 Gb, DDR3
HDD: 320 Gb, SATA

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
No, I don’t want to disable everything, I just need the firewall to notify me about outcoming connections every time, no matter what program or process they come from. Of course, you can use the program from Binisoft, but why, if SpyShelter has its own firewall? Or is it impossible to configure it so that it always gives an alert for outcoming program connections? Do not completely control everything manually, but only requests for outgoing connections, while leaving all other components on automatic mode?
I am sorry, I haven't used SpyShelter in a long time and I don't remember the settings well enough.
@ichito what do you say?

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I am sorry, I haven't used SpyShelter in a long time and I don't remember the settings well enough.
@ichito what do you say?
On the Russian security forum 2 years ago, someone asked the same question, the answer there was this:

"Type of action 48, access to the Internet. If the value is "-No- ", then there will always be a request when trying to access the Internet for all signed (and not digitally signed) programs (files). If the value is "-Yes-", then Internet access will be allowed for signed (digitally signed) programs automatically, that is, without your participation. Type of action 51 module is also responsible for accessing the Internet using BITS to bypass the firewall. The principle of operation is the same."

In general, this is exactly what I need. But I do not know, maybe in 2 years something has changed? Or is this instruction wrong? What will happen if in "action type 48, access to the Internet" set the value "- no -"? Full blocked access to the Internet without any alerts or Internet access will be, but will SpyShelter issue an alert for every outcoming connections?
@ichito what do you say?

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
A lot of question and I'll try to make some order :)
- "Settings/List of monitored actions" - a small box on the bottom of SS window called "auto allow signed"...it's by default enabled what means that all actions are allowed (every box on the list is ticked on)...
- and only in this case changing answer to "No" for some specific action of firewall (or other module/protection) makes sense...
- but for me it's much better just untick box "auto allow" for all actions and have effect of monitoring all listed action...
- but we should remember also that some things depend on chosen type of "Networ zone" - on "trusted" all requests for signed are allowed...on "undefined" all requests are prompted...
- but the effect depends also on level of protection what was earlier mentioned.
So...making my lesson more clearly and understandable :emoji_innocent: I can add:
- we shouldn't forget that SS gives us possibility to create individual rule for each process/app - just enable window with advenced rules (command from menu or doubleclick)...and even more advanced rules what I described some time ago in this post
- It's quite impossible to give a formule that sticks exactly to users needs/demands...I think users of SS (or every similar apps)...if they want...should search and make own tests to find expected solution. It's the best way to gatter own skills and experiances.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Apart from Spyshelter as your Firewall (you have listed reasons why) this is the only gripe I have, otherwise good setup.

~LDogg

Reactions: Jack and Zorro

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I decided to try the program Simple DNSCrypt, instead of the usual DNSCrypt. In principle, the only difference is that Simple DNSCrypt has a more user-friendly interface, more convenient.

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Comodo Firewall or Window Firewall using Tinywall or Malwarebyte Windows Firewall Control.

~LDogg
If it's not a secret, why do you think that SpyShelter Firewall is not enough to fully protect system?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
You can save on purchasing a license when the options I listed are free and can provide better protection without the needs to bundle "x-Protection-Fancy-Name" to sell the software. But as you may have purchased a license and this is solely my opinion you can discard my advice if you wish.

~LDogg

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
You can save on purchasing a license when the options I listed are free and can provide better protection without the needs to bundle "x-Protection-Fancy-Name" to sell the software. But as you may have purchased a license and this is solely my opinion you can discard my advice if you wish.

~LDogg
Thank you for your help. I listened to your advice and changed something in the program settings. The license was given to me by a person who bought it for a very long time, but did not activate it for unknown reasons, so the purchase is not in question.

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.