Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Webroot SecureAnywhere, Adguard Premium
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Webroot SecureAnywhere was installed last to make it compatible with other security softwares. All essential files, drivers were mutually excluded from manual and real-time scans.
Periodic malware scanners
Very occasional scan with Eset Online Scanner, Avira PC Cleaner, Windows Defender, Rogue-Killer Antimalware, Zemana AM, VirusTotal Uploader, Malwarebytes AM.
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Edgium, Firefox with Lastpass, Emsisoft Browser Security extensions. Plan to switch to Bitwarden. So, it is also installed to save important login credentials.
Maintenance tools
CleanMem Pro, CCleaner Free Portable, HiBit Uninstaller, Shadow Defender.
File and Photo backup
  • Desktop, Downloads, Documents etc. important folders are placed in non-system drives.
  • Essential files (~40 GB) are backed up to OneDrive realtime.
  • Rest files are occasionally backed up to External HDD. I anyway use the two non-system files to keep all these files. So, no loss due to OS crash.
System recovery
  • Macrium Reflect OS backup scheduled on bimonthly basis. (I install new software rarely)
  • Prefer to reset PC to clean state if system slows down or malfunctions (Happens biennially).
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Coding and development
Computer specs
Assembled Desktop
  • Intel i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
  • Intel DB85FL Motherboard
  • 8 GB RAM (Corsair, DDR3, 1600MHz)
  • 500 GB SSD (Samsung 860 EVO) + 1 TB HDD + 2 TB HDD (Toshiba, 7200 RPM)
  • Bluetooth 4.0 (Kinivo), Wifi Adapter (D-Link)
  • Keyboard & Mouse (Amkette)
  • Monitor (AOC)
  • Cabinet (Cooler Master)
  • SMPS (Corsair)
Notable changes
  • Upgraded and moved OS to SSD.
  • Took higher speed internet connection. So, able to use Emsisoft without previous issues.
  • Installed Shadow Defender Again.
  • Installed WSA as I've a license and it is lightweight & compatible with other full-fledged AMs.
  • Removed Iobit Smart Defrag (as moved to SSD) and Iobit Uninstaller (as prefer HiBit Uninstaller now).
  • Now manage Keyboard shortcuts using HotkeyP. Earlier I was using Perfect Hotkey.

sg09

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
The Amount of realtime protection has reduced from the last time I updated the config. It was not a conscious decision, but somewhat forced.

I won a Emsisoft Antimalware License from a MT giveaway. Now with surf protection turned on I have been facing serious upload issues everywhere with files larger than 20 MB. Importantly, the realtime Onedrive sync was getting hampered and that was unacceptable and so I am keeping the surf protection off.

I have been in continuous touch with Emsisoft support and they are trying to diagnose this idiosyncratic issue sincerely for the last few months with no vain so far. It was during those diagnosis that I got rid of most real-time security softwares (although wasn't asked to do that) and then only installed back Adguard Premium, as the online protection was otherwise absent.

I dislike to use softwares, especially full versions with reduced features, and so I am planning to get a system reset done soon. And for this reason I haven't taken a Macrium Backup in the last few months. Once I get the system reset done (hopefully soon), I will take the system backup bimonthly. I do have the last backup handy and nothing much had changed since that time. And, as you can see, my important files are backup online in real-time and also saved in non-system drives.

sg09

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
Transferred Emsisoft Antimalware to another PC and found that the upload issue is not idiosyncratic, and is due to the slow upload speed of my ISP. So, its a confirmed bug and Emsisoft support might fix it in future. I had a lengthy diagnostic session with them in the last few months.

Now I'm using F-Secure Safe as the main antimalware with slight customization.

sg09

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
Security Configuration Updated
  • Upgraded and moved OS to SSD.
  • Took higher speed internet connection. So, able to use Emsisoft without previous issues.
  • Installed Shadow Defender Again.
  • Installed WSA as I've a license and it is lightweight & compatible with other full-fledged AMs.
  • Removed Iobit Smart Defrag (as moved to SSD) and Iobit Uninstaller (as prefer HiBit Uninstaller now).
  • Now manage Keyboard shortcuts using HotkeyP. Earlier I was using Perfect Hotkey.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Right first thing I see and I quote "Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Webroot SecureAnywhere". You seriously do not need Webroot, EAM will provide sufficient protection. Remove Webroot there no reason in the planet to use it bro.

Windows FW, use Tinywall/Malwarebytes WFC for simple controlled usage.

The rest of the setup is good.

~LDogg

sg09

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
Right first thing I see and I quote "Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Webroot SecureAnywhere". You seriously do not need Webroot, EAM will provide sufficient protection. Remove Webroot there no reason in the planet to use it bro.
Sure. I also believe so. I am just evaluating, maybe remove after a few days or a month. And then maybe give MBAM Pro another try. Seems like both MBAM and WSA are not as good as they were in their good 'ol days.

use Tinywall/Malwarebytes WFC for simple controlled usage.
Usually I hate to see popups and so using a silent security. This is also one reason that I notched up real-time protection a bit (although blacklisting is never comparable with whitelisting). I haven't used a third-party firewall (or window firewall enhancer) for a long time. Maybe I shall give Malwarebytes WFC a try. Good to see that Binisoft was acquired by Malwarebytes (Not keeping track with security software landscape lately).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.