App Review Shade AntiMalware- A Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
This one had to be a great deal longer than others I have done, and even so only highlights of what can be expected are presented.

Bottom line is that for those that just want something to sandbox a browser Shade is worthy of consideration. For more generalized protection there are much more robust solutions.

D

Deleted member 178

Just for infos, sandboxes are not supposed to block datas leaks, but just isolate things from modifying the system .
Sandboxie can block leaks because you have an option to restrict files to connect to internet.

Shade is indeed quite simple but with time they would had more options to stand against sandboxie and other rivals.

Anyway a standalone free sandbox is already a good thing.

I saw Shade can open multiple sandboxes which is better than sandboxie free version.

Ilya

Level 1
Oct 7, 2015
This one had to be a great deal longer than others I have done, and even so only highlights of what can be expected are presented.

Bottom line is that for those that just want something to sandbox a browser Shade is worthy of consideration. For more generalized protection there are much more robust solutions.

Than you for this video, @cruelsister!
Sandbox escape possibility through API exploitation bug fixed!
Please, find the update button in the tray, or reload your PC.
Thank you!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Fast fix , very good.

Important options, in my opinion, that a anti-malware oriented sandbox should have (without copying Sandboxie too much :D )

- ability to restrict files to access internet. (in case of Keyloggers, malware with C&C, etc...)

- ability to automatically sandbox execution of any files/apps, from selected folders. (This will ensure that downloaded files stay secured until verification)

In fact some granularity is welcomed for advanced users, could be an "expert mode" that open advanced settings and options.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Look @ my questions on Wilder Security. I am looking forward to your answers on Shade AntiMalware!

Making to today a great day! And tomorrow an even better day!

Moose's World

Reactions: LAGUN

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
@ Umbra! Okay! I will then! Post # 7.

I wanted to get answers from one of their support/members here. First hand!
Did not think it was that big of deal! I thought malwaretips.com was to get answers
and help to our questions. Um.....o_O

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for another enjoyably meaningful review @cruelsister, meaningful (as Umbra pointed out) particularly because of the developers' quick response & fix, & even if this is a bit off topic I'd enjoyed the fact my wife commented on how she'd liked the accompanying music selection(-s) too. I didn't think she liked :eek:jazz!:D

Edit: It seems Cybergenic are not the only ones working weekends!!;) :):)

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Hi Moose!

Although not an expert on Shade:

1). I don't see how any AV would conflict. Also as the Shade directory is without any special attributes an AV will also be able to detect and malware spawned there.
2). Shade is browser agnostic, so any should be covered (I used Seamonkey with isn't exactly common).
3). They updated Shade pretty fast for this occasion.
4). No idea about shadow Defender.

Hope this helps,

M

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
That is an excellent question- It would really depend on two things:

1). How effective is Shade in isolating the browser, and
2). How effective is MBAE in stopping exploits/vulnerabilities?

Let me give that some thought...

H

hjlbx

Umbra and cruelsister how do you "restrict files to access internet" with Sandboxie? Quote taken from Umbra.

In the Sandboxie GUI there is option to limit access for applications\processes running in the sandbox.

You can create sandbox in which only browser can run along with any required system files... like dllhost.exe, rundll32.exe, etc.

Just create the sandbox, set only browser to run in it, launch browser. Sandboxie will fire alert indicating could not be launched because the required system files have not been allowed. In that alert click the ones indicated as "needed" and Sandboxie will auto-add them to the sandbox. That's it. No mental, IT hard work...

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Nicely put. But there is indeed a difference between SB and Shade at the default level, with Shade being a trifle more restrictive.

Tony- As Umbra stated, just highlight the Default Box, and
1). from the drop down menu choose Sandbox Settings.
2). from the box that appears click (as Umbra pointed out) Restrictions, the
3). choose Internet Access

From there you can do what you will.

M

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.