Advice Request Shadow Defender and Exclusions

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I am taking advantage of the Shadow Defender Giveaway here on MT with v1.50. After setting it up, I made exclusions for my Documents Folder, WD Folders, Roboform Folder, and Microsoft Office Folder(Outlook2016) for my emails. I am wondering if this makes sense because in my mind these folders are always changing.

I am runnning Windows 10 v2004. Are there any other folders that I should exclude? Thanks.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
With Shadow Defender on Windows 10, you cannot keep the system drive in shadow mode too long. There are some system maintenance scheduled tasks and also frequent updates of applications from Microsoft Store (can have impact on performance) + software auto-updates.
Making exclusions for WD is not necessary because it will usually update signatures with or without exclusions.
I usually keep shadow mode for a few days (maximum one week) and make a one day break to let the system update. I do not use predefined exclusions, but exclude files manually if needed (this would be probably not convenient for you).

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
From what I am reading just like Sandboxie affects the sandboxing features of some browsers, shadow Defender may have a detrimental effect if not used correctly or for long periods.

Imo it may be more trouble than it's worth but it is a matter of personal preference.

I guess sticking with WD Configured High, SWH, plus OSArmor free and Ubo and BTL is enough plus a backup

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
With Shadow Defender on Windows 10, you cannot keep the system drive in shadow mode too long. There are some system maintenance scheduled tasks and also frequent updates of applications from Microsoft Store (can have impact on performance) + software auto-updates.
Making exclusions for WD is not necessary because it will usually update signatures with or without exclusions.
I usually keep shadow mode for a few days (maximum one week) and make a one day break to let the system update. I do not use predefined exclusions, but exclude files manually if needed (this would be probably not convenient for you).
Yes, you are right.

The only effective non-hassle way is NOT to start SD in shadow mode at the beginning of the day. Update whatever necessary required. Then put SD into shadow mode and use your PC for the rest of the day.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
ShadowDefender is the best when trying/testing software. It does not restrict the read access to anything and allow any system changes (until reboot), so its value as security is limited, except for the kiosk systems in schools, learning centers, etc. (no private data).
One could use ShadowDefender as a security boundary, for computers disconnected from the network and unprotected storage devices.
Of course, it can help much to protect the system against unwanted permanent changes and nasty ransomware attacks.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Do you use the RAM used as write cache function of SD? if so, how much do you allocate? Also if the software requires a reboot after install, SD will stop iy.

Thanks

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.