New Update Shadow Defender - RIP

pvsurfer

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 20, 2019
SD's demise is no longer just speculation...

SD_RIP.png

pvsurfer

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 20, 2019
Sad indeed. Perhaps SD's demise was due to selling 'lifetime' licenses (not a wise business model), or perhaps the problem was rooted in the 'Great Firewall of China'.

I purchased a lifetime SD license back when WinXP was still current and over the years it has been my longest lasting (and most effective) security program. Even though the most current SD build was released about 3 years ago, it is still working perfectly on my Win10/11 PCs, so I'll just keep using it until it is no longer compatible with Windows.

Last edited:

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
what about shade sandbox or sandboxie? Is there a sandboxie guide on here?
They are not in the same category. Those are sandboxes, while Shadow Defender / Deep Freeze are mostly in the virtualization or in the reboot/restore category.

There is an overlap between sandboxing and virtualization/emulation, but they are different in design intent and technique.

Last edited:

pvsurfer

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 20, 2019
What was so funny about my post? :) If you know better SD alternatives, I am open for suggestions.
I didn't see anything funny about your post. As for suggesting alternatives, Deep Freeze is the only similar program that is still 'supported', and that's actually funny (more on that below), but imho it is silly for existing SD users to consider abandoning its use as long as it still works properly with all Windows versions (which it does)! SD is not only much easier to use than DF, it is far more versatile (and I can back that up).

The case made for Deep Freeze is that it's both stable and supported - really? The current DF (Standard) version was released in Nov 2023 (about 30 months after the prior release) and is fraught with more than 30 known (reported and unresolved) issues!

Last edited:
Reactions: B-boy/StyLe/

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.