Shadow Defender stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Simpson

Feb 27, 2018
Update:

Tony got back to me this morning with a registry key I had to manually add, then reboot. That fixed the GUI issue. SD is working again.

Hey boredog, do you remember what registry key they had you add to get it working again? I'm in a very similar or possibly the same situation after doing a clean reinstall of the latest Windows insider build. :-(

D

Deleted member 178

Hey boredog, do you remember what registry key they had you add to get it working again? I'm in a very similar or possibly the same situation after doing a clean reinstall of the latest Windows insider build. :-(
he won't reply, seems he was banned.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I had this same problem and this reg key fixed it but I have a new problem after latest insider update. If I go into shadow mode do my thing and reboot out of shadow mode, my pc becomes unbootable. I then have to use the fix boot issues in Marcrium to get my boot back. Contacted the developer and he never did get back to me. That was at least two weeks ago. I had paid for the software but had to uninstall it because he doesn't appear to be going to fix it. Most insider builds evenyualy go to everyone as far as I know.
Here is the reg fix but just be ware the latest insider build will make your pc unbootable.

start a command prompt as an administrator then type the following command and press Enter:
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\diskpt /v Control /t REG_DWORD /d 268435456 /f
Reboot and try again.

Gary Simpson

Feb 27, 2018
I had this same problem and this reg key fixed it but I have a new problem after latest insider update. If I go into shadow mode do my thing and reboot out of shadow mode, my pc becomes unbootable. I then have to use the fix boot issues in Marcrium to get my boot back. Contacted the developer and he never did get back to me. That was at least two weeks ago. I had paid for the software but had to uninstall it because he doesn't appear to be going to fix it. Most insider builds evenyualy go to everyone as far as I know.
Here is the reg fix but just be ware the latest insider build will make your pc unbootable.

start a command prompt as an administrator then type the following command and press Enter:
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\diskpt /v Control /t REG_DWORD /d 268435456 /f
Reboot and try again.

Thank you!!! That worked perfectly. With Insider Pro version 17112 I didn't even have any problems after restarting from Shadow mode. I do use Macrium and I was prepared to use the fix boot option if needed. I very much appreciate the help and caution about possible boot issues. Cheers!

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I just re-downloaded SD and upon installing SD v1.4.0.680 it says '7-Zip Error' . I extracted the 3 files and ran the Setup_x64 and still having the same error

Apparently, it can't extract to install

Any help?

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I just re-downloaded SD and upon installing SD v1.4.0.680 it says '7-Zip Error' . I extracted the 3 files and ran the Setup_x64 and still having the same error

Apparently, it can't extract to install

Any help?

I don't remember the install file being zipped. Where did you get it from? I just checked and yes it should be a single exe, not a zip folder with three files.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Not sure which page at SD"s site you are finding the zip file but I go to a page that only has one exe.

Shadow Defender - the easiest PC/laptop security and privacy protection tool

Ok, downloaded from the link given. Upon installation an error message pops up saying

SD maybe not working because KB3185278 and KB3125574 are not found in this computer. Do you want to continue? Yes/No

I just checked the 2 KBs are for Windows 7

Went ahead with the installation anyway and everything's fine now. Thanks @ticklemefeet for the link.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.