App Review ShadowDefender (Demonstration and Reviews)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the video presentation and test of ShadowDefender.
ShadowDefender is not an antivirus solution, but it protects your computer and your files with a very innovative and new mode.
Indeed, once activated, all actions that will take place on your computer will be canceled when restarting, as if nothing was!

On the other hand, it also deletes if you do legitimate things if the Shadow mode is activated, you can create exclusions to avoid this.
The software keeps its promises, it made a machine healthy on reboot.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Shadowdefender is one of the best software to keep your system and data untouched (after reboot). In fact, the files are untouched all the time, because Shadowdefender virtualizes any changes to the custom & hidden partition. If the system crashes for any reason, the bad things that could happen after the crash to the real files are also virtual and are deleted (as any changes) after reboot. This technology is safer compared to rollback software. Shadowdefender protects also MBR, EFI, etc.
It is not intended to prevent spying, except when the computer is disconnected from the network.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Shadowra I'm curious. How much ressources do S.D use? I have noticed it's good rumors, but have always sweeped it the "too heavy" category, without actually try to find out how much it used? Thanks for the demo.
You don't even notice it is there. You can also tell it to use RAM for the changes and not the hard drive.
I am not using it now for first time because I am trying out the enterprise version of Windows 10 and for some reason, it gives check for disk errors on reboot. Right now am not sure if it is my computer or SD just does not like this build. I know how to fix the Z: drive is full error when starting SD but not this error.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I am slightly nervous about this software because the developer is so mysterious. No one seems very sure of who is behind Shadow Defender or what efforts are made to keep the product updated. This raises questions in my mind as to whether it is a security risk.
The concept of the product is very good however.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I am slightly nervous about this software because the developer is so mysterious. No one seems very sure of who is behind Shadow Defender or what efforts are made to keep the product updated. This raises questions in my mind as to whether it is a security risk.
The concept of the product is very good however.
About 2 years ago, I had an issue where SD would not start up. I e-mailed support and within a week, I was sent a registry fix. Pretty sure I posted here for another member with same problem. Still pretty cheap for a lifetime Lic. You very seldom see anyone post an issue with SD.
Also: The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.
for good SD reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Last time I used it, the program was incompatible with Windows’s memory integrity.

Considering how long it has gone without update, I would assume it is still incompatible.

Info in case someone wants to use both

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
How does SD compare with Windows Sandbox for trying out potentially dangerous applications or browsing websites ?

They can be hardly compared, or can like karate to jujitsu. SD and WS use very different virtualization approaches. ShadowDefender does not restrict spying. It is not a sandbox, so the malware can have full read access to files, like without ShadowDefender. Windows Sandbox allows access to files in the sandbox and a few other folders (optionally).
Shortly: SD is like virtual reality and WS is like virtual jail.

There are some potential problems to solve when using ShadowDefender to test malware:
  1. The malware can spread over the network and infect other machines.
  2. The malware can spy and upload files to the attacker.
  3. The malware can infect the router.
  4. SD may not work with some Windows security features.
Of course, the malware can as well escape the SD or WS. But, using SD is rare so it is probably safer in this aspect.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.