User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Windows Defender with ConfigureDefender
Software Restriction Policy with Hard_Configurator
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Macrium Reflect does the job just fine...
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome
Edge
Maintenance tools
Hard_Configurator, SysHardener, BandiZip, PatchCleaner, autoruns
File and Photo backup
Dropbox
OneDrive
GoogleDrive
System recovery
Macrium Reflect, Timeshift (Ubuntu)

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I have realized that many if not most of the PC issues that I struggle with are related directly or indirectly to my security solutions. Getting tired of that.
I am on a health-food diet: vanilla Windows Defender.
Sooner or later, most people are tired when walking all day with a bullet-proof vest. Yes, you can be shot, so do not go to US.:giggle:

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You have never-ending problems with that HP printer.
True. This time it reacted differently to the rundll32 issue, and that confused me to no end.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Kaspersky with TAM enabled should work.
Indeed it does. But a year ago, Kaspersky was blocking Windows updates. And if you set the firewall to monitor all ports, it will interfere with Dropbox (it took me forever to figure that one out). My point is that there is no end to it. If not one thing, it's another.

I suggest burning it with fire. I have one also that i stopped using because it's the f*ing devil work.
I would never give my HP printer fire, because the devil loves fire. I'm just waiting for it to die, so I can buy a Brother.

Indeed it does. But a year ago, Kaspersky was blocking Windows updates. And if you set the firewall to monitor all ports, it will interfere with Dropbox (it took me forever to figure that one out). My point is that there is no end to it. If not one thing, it's another.

On Windows systems it will never change. The elegant solution is simply to move to something where you just don't need it all. However, you have to be willing and capable of doing that. If you can't, then you are a hostage victim.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
On Windows systems it will never change. The elegant solution is simply to move to something where you just don't need it all. However, you have to be willing and capable of doing that. If you can't, then you are a hostage victim.
I am unquestionably a hostage because I use niche Hebrew programs that don't work on Linux. But vanilla Windows Defender causes much less issues than advanced security solutions do.

I am unquestionably a hostage because I use niche Hebrew programs that don't work on Linux. But vanilla Windows Defender causes much less issues than advanced security solutions do.

There's a lot of people in similar situations for a variety of reasons.

Then you're stuck and can only do the best you can with what you've got.

If you've tried everything, and nothing works to your satisfaction, then it isn't worth all the frustration. It's a matter of compromising (not trying to use everything at maximum settings and tweakings) or just going with default Windows security - meaning not using anything at all except what ships with Windows in its default "optimum" configuration. I know it is ridiculous, but there it is.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The @shmu26 main problem is MS Office, which is required for document compatibility on his boss computer. MS Office and security are not compatible to each other, so bringing them together will be always painful.
The safest solution to try, would be uninstalling MS Office and use Microsoft Word Online.
But, maybe the simplest solution would be using the previously applied security + MS Office only for editing, and printing documents form Microsoft Word Mobile.
Another solution would be reverting to the previous security that worked well (except printing), and buying the new printer. The best choice would be the printer that could work with Windows 10 default drivers.(y)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Wrap it up and post it to Antarctica to freeze
penguins1.jpg

Those penguins are waiting.:giggle:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I just got a brilliant idea !!!
Your boss needs a Chromebook. That would be a great gift on his birthday.:giggle:
He probably will buy another one for your birthday, so both of you will be safe.(y)

Last edited:
E

Eddie Morra

You are crazy to use Windows over a Chromebook unless you actually need to use Windows. Chromebook attack surface is much lower when you strip out using Android applications.

That being said, there are some nice features on Windows like only allowing UWP, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
"Stop worrying about infections and use a Chromebook u plonker. it sure as hell wont be 100% full proof but its Google so you can pretend it is" xD

Seriously though, you are crazy to use Windows over a Chromebook unless you actually need to use Windows. Chromebook attack surface is much lower when you strip out using Android applications.

That being said, there are some nice features on Windows like only allowing UWP, etc.
And people think that telepathy does not exist.:giggle:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.