Should I change to Norton 360?

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I just said that because many people follow them

And you were correct to use that as a baseline for comparison. Yeah, there are testing limitations and complications... but it's one of the best benchmarks we have.

Reactions: Venustus

virusesmaximum

Level 1
Aug 21, 2019
And you were correct to use that as a baseline for comparison. Yeah, there are testing limitations and complications... but it's one of the best benchmarks we have.
no, it is not the best benchmark we have, there are better tests than av-comparatives, even the tests in this forum are much more reliable than those tests.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I'm trying Norton again, after years.

I'm surprised with the lightness of Norton 360, and it does a lot of tasks in the background when PC is in idle (including backup).

PC is running smoother and I notice faster to start Windows.

I change SONAR to aggressive mode. I'm liking the VPN of them too, is lighter and faster than Kaspersky VPN. You don't even notice that VPN is on, moreover it has a Brazil server.

Maybe soon I'll post my security config at MT at the right forum for that and ask for further suggestions.

Meu-Norton.png

And I'm still chocked with that backup space.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
The new Norton 360 has amazing value, it is somewhat hard to believe how much is offered for its low price (fast and unlimited VPN, generous backup storage size and multiple devices).

My only gripe with Norton nowadays is the uncertain future after Broadcom acquisition of Symantec, it is hard to say how much it will impact Norton Lifelock's R&D and expertise.

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
Save the money and buy Office 365 with 1TB cloud storage instead... Throwing money into AV is total waste of money today. Windows Defender and firewall are more than enough these days. If you want to really spend money on some "security" solution, I'd buy AdGuard lifetime licence... Yes, uBlock Origin and other browser based adblockers mostly do the job just as well, but AdGuard being full fledged desktop program has its advantages. Namely ability to block ads in any program, including Windows store apps. What this also allows for instance is if you don't pay for Spotify premium, you'll still be able to listen to music ad free with their desktop app ;D

But yeah, hate to say it since I know many here like to fiddle around in settings with 3rd party AVs, but there is no real point in that anymore. And let's say you really want 3rd party AV, over Windows Defender you can just easily install Kaspersky Cloud Free... It includes all the essential AV modules you'd find on paid Kaspersky solutions.

Also, Norton is notorious for their BSODs and instability... I wouldn't use Norton even if they paid for me to do so.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
But yeah, hate to say it since I know many here like to fiddle around in settings with 3rd party AVs, but there is no real point in that anymore.
Many people, including myself, find that Windows Defender causes noticeable slowdowns at times. In which case, it makes a lot of sense to replace it with something lighter, which won't slow down their computers.
And let's say you really want 3rd party AV, over Windows Defender you can just easily install Kaspersky Cloud Free... It includes all the essential AV modules you'd find on paid Kaspersky solutions.
That's an excellent free antivirus, but on some systems it will cause slowdowns. You need to consider that a lot of people don't have high end hardware. My main system is 8 years old.
Also, Norton is notorious for their BSODs and instability...
I've never had any BSODs with Norton.

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
Many people, including myself, find that Windows Defender causes noticeable slowdowns at times. In which case, it makes a lot of sense to replace it with something lighter, which won't slow down their computers.

That's an excellent free antivirus, but on some systems it will cause slowdowns. You need to consider that a lot of people don't have high end hardware. My main system is 8 years old.

I've never had any BSODs with Norton.

Well Kaspersky Cloud Free is good option in that case. It uses faster scanning algorithm than what WD has. And well I guess its true not all have that fast devices, but even my 9 year old secondary desktop (albeit was high end for its time i7 2600K and 16GB of RAM + SSD) has no issues with WD.

And I've had multiple BSOD issues with Norton. Even with Kaspersky back in 2017 I believe. WD is the most stable AV out there due to it being integrated into Windows. And yeah they need to improve their scanning algorithm its pretty trash still. It actually slows down file transfers by as much as 50% in some tests as opposed to other AVs slowing down file transfers just like 1-3%.

I still stand by what I said earlier though. Unless you do a lot of file transfers its still overall the best (giving you least headaches) and most stable AV out there.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
but even my 9 year old secondary desktop (albeit was high end for its time i7 2600K and 16GB of RAM + SSD) has no issues with WD.
That's more than twice as fast as the i5-2520M in my laptop. I think WD is an excellent antivirus, as long as it doesn't cause slowdowns. You will see plenty of posts here about slowdowns with WD, even from some people with high end systems.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I like Kaspersky a lot, but it does slowdown my system sometimes, mainly when it's real time scanning some update or new software (the icon blinking: when stops, the system stops slowing down too). It seems a "lag" when gaming, mouse pointer gets slow for seconds and then comeback.

And my desktop it's not that bad, it's new.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I like Kaspersky a lot, but it does slowdown my system sometimes, mainly when it's real time scanning some update or new software (the icon blinking, when stops, the system stops slowing down too). It seems a "lag" when gaming, mouse pointer gets slow for seconds and then comeback.

And my desktop it's not that bad, it's new.
You shouldn't have a problem on a new rig?...Specs?

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Save the money and buy Office 365 with 1TB cloud storage instead... Throwing money into AV is total waste of money today. Windows Defender and firewall are more than enough these days. If you want to really spend money on some "security" solution, I'd buy AdGuard lifetime licence... Yes, uBlock Origin and other browser based adblockers mostly do the job just as well, but AdGuard being full fledged desktop program has its advantages. Namely ability to block ads in any program, including Windows store apps. What this also allows for instance is if you don't pay for Spotify premium, you'll still be able to listen to music ad free with their desktop app ;D

But yeah, hate to say it since I know many here like to fiddle around in settings with 3rd party AVs, but there is no real point in that anymore. And let's say you really want 3rd party AV, over Windows Defender you can just easily install Kaspersky Cloud Free... It includes all the essential AV modules you'd find on paid Kaspersky solutions.

Also, Norton is notorious for their BSODs and instability... I wouldn't use Norton even if they paid for me to do so.
AVs saved me when I'm visiting sites for download series or software.

Norton in the past blocked a site to watch series who had a threat and KSN after I download Photoshop (now I pay for it because it's my job) stopped a threat by cloud protection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.