Advice Request Should I give Linux another chance?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Update:

I tried:
Linux Mint, Zorin, Manjaro and Kubuntu.

The best one was Zorin Core, but the most stable and fast were Mint (followed by Manjaro). I decided to stay with Mint. Ty for all your support guys. It really helped me.

Bonus question :emoji_beer:

Can you recommend an office suite that really "looks like" Microsoft Office? It's important it is as much compatible as possible with it.
I tried OnlyOffice and WPS till now...
I think WPS is the closest. But you might find that MS Office Online serves your purposes just fine. It has most things the average home user will need. And it's free, and is platform-agnostic.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Update:

I tried:

The best one was Zorin Core, but the most stable and fast were Mint (followed by Manjaro). I decided to stay with Mint. Ty for all your support guys. It really helped me.

Can you recommend an office suite that really "looks like" Microsoft Office? It's important it is as much compatible as possible with it.
Another option you could try is LibreOffice

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Linux is not all gloom-and-doom. There's multiple ultra-light distros out there such as Mint, or even Puppy Linux. Your job is to sit down, talk with your wife, figure out exactly how she uses a PC and what she wants, and figure out if Linux can deliver that experience. Most any Linux distro can as long as she doesn't insist upon using software that is only available on Windows.

I'm gonna bet Kubuntu, Manjaro, and Mint will do nicely. There's no need to teach her the command line. You just need to set up the system for her. I, for example, have Manjaro running on a low-end ARM processor with only 4 GB RAM. It is slow to boot, but after that, it does fine as far as the basics - browsing, email, office\productivity, etc - as long as I don't get stupid and try to keep 10 apps open with Firefox open with 20 tabs.

This is a two-part problem. You figuring out exactly what she wants and then taking the time to ensure Linux is configured to deliver it.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Update:

I tried:

Onlyoffice is probably the closest interms of "looks like" MS Office on Linux, which also has pretty good compatability. I agree with @shmu26 suggestion on using the online version of MS Office. If you want perfect compatability and looks, that will be your best bet. It is free and will cover the vast majority of most people needs. Unless you really need the advanced features of MS Office (ie: macros), the online version will give you everything you need IMHO.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
But you might find that MS Office Online serves your purposes just fine.

using the online version of MS Office

About MS office online. I tried to use the office extension to make easier to open documents. But the upload function doesnt seem to work on linux.

I, for example, have Manjaro running on a low-end ARM processor with only 4 GB RAM. It is slow to boot, but after that, it does fine as far as the basics - browsing, email, office\productivity, etc - as long as I don't get stupid and try to keep 10 apps open with Firefox open with 20 tabs
I had exactly the same experience here with Manjaro. It opted for Mint just because it's compatibility with *.deb installer. as it's easier to install softwares that way

Onlyoffice is probably the closest interms of "looks like" MS Office on Linux, which also has pretty good compatability
I'm using it for now. It's seems ok! ty

Reactions: Azure

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
Update:

I tried:

Linux mint is also my fav linux distro. I use OnlyOffice because it's compatible with the latest microsoft office formats- docX, xlsX etc. Libre office can't open those formats. And it's pretty much user friendly and resembles with microsoft too.

• Thanks
Reactions: Tiamati and Azure

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.