Should I Remove It? and Should I Block It? (Reason Software)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Download: Should I Remove It?
Should I Remove It? is a very simple but extremely powerful Windows application that helps users, both technical and non technical, decide what programs they should remove from their PC. This typically includes finding and removing all sorts of crapware and bloatware such as adware, spyware, toolbars, bundled unwanted applications as well as many forms of malware. The program is very lightweight and extremely fast. Should I Remove It? simply scans your computer for all its' installed programs and then ranks what should be removed by leveraging the wisdom of the crowd (and of course our technical experts) to determine what should not be installed.

Also removes manufacturers' bloat and trialware, see list HERE.

Realtime Analysis Service: Should I Block It? (Download is linked back to site above)

"Should I Block It?" is a free service that analyzes all aspects of an 'active' file, process, service or module under the context of which they run and determines if it should be blocked from executing.

Real-time analysis:
  • Process and service context
  • Auto-start and integration points
  • Behaviors of processes and modules
  • Reasource utilization
  • Programs of installation
  • Malware detections utilizing 50 scanners
  • Network connections
  • Relationships between files
  • Distribution statistical analysis

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
RE: 'Should I Remove It?'

Some of the OEM's software's are really benefited when its function are must at the system caused commonly toolbars, customer experience, language file, user guide, trial backup, old games and others are sometimes really bloatware and ate up those free spaces.

Keyboard in our laptops have its function installed through OEM's too which may considered as useful than useless.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

This sure leaves a lot of registry entries behind when you uninstall it... :s

621 entries on my Win XP machine.

Reactions: Dirk41

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

HeffeD, you could try the website itself, as it has the database of useful information.

Example; http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Should-I-Remove-It-10745-program.aspx

Or search for other programs.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

HeffeD, I emailed them yesterday, plus a request of a portable release.

Response:

Thank you very much for the feedback. We actually just released a new version just yesterday that fixed the leftover registry keys and files. Did you happen to have an older version by chance (just want to make sure the new version's uninstaller was working as expected)? Also, we love the idea of creating a pure portable version and will certainly look into providing such a release.

Thank you again for your feedback, it is very valuable! I'll let you know once we do have a fully portable version.

Best regards,
Andrew Newman
Reason Software

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

System Explorer database has more precise info about processes and dll files.

Example for Winamp Media Player:-

http://systemexplorer.net/file-database/file/winamp-exe

http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Winamp-AudioPlayer-24946-program.aspx

I check several other popular processes and many had no info on Should I Remove It look up.

Thanks.:D

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

I would think 'Should I Remove It' is for the less technical (reminds me of Soluto). It's nonsensical to compare at this stage, see below:

- Should I Remove It has 1,197,432 programs rated (+ gradual increase)
- System Explorer has 18,858,117 files rated (+ 30k user reviews)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Initially, I thought the same, but turns out to be some mediocre software. It's new installation monitor isn't too great either.
Though this was interesting -> http://www.shouldiblockit.com (Added details to first post too).

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
what's the difference between those sw and VT? thank you

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Should I Remove It (Should I Remove It?) is software that can be installed, with community-based ratings.

Should I Block It? (Should I Block It?) is an online service with real-time data feeds.

VT as in VirusTotal.com?

"...a free online service that analyzes files and URLs enabling the identification of viruses, worms, trojans and other kinds of malicious content detected by antivirus engines and website scanners. At the same time, it may be used as a means to detect false positives, i.e. innocuous resources detected as malicious by one or more scanners." (Source: About VirusTotal)

Warning: Should I Remove It (dot) com displays deceiving Ads on site.
upload_2016-4-6_16-45-53.png

Reactions: Dirk41 and mal1
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.