Advice Request Should I unblock any of these apps?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I noticed that comodo blocked some app that should be safe,

I see you decided to turn on HIPS against advice. I'm surely not going to take responsibility telling you which blocks to delete, but I will say that you should use the CS setting now that you've had a taste of HIPS.

Besides... you are imaging your drive daily... right? So if a catastrophic malware incident took control, you'd be able to be back in service with little delay.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I've been running Commodo Firewall for a year. The first 6 months, I had Kaspersky Antivirus Free with ComodoCs. And a bug with system restore. Then, I uninstalled Kas and got back to Windows Defender. No bug with system restore. I then activated HIPS the easy way: I put it in training for 15 minutes and clicked on my main apps.
My experience: Comodo is environmentally sensitive so if you already have an antivirus, don't add any other security apps.If you like to experiment with apps, don't use CF. I like it very much but never installed it on my friend's computers.

Most security experts will tell you that you need layers to get better protection. I believe they're right. But with CF if you add layers, you add problems.Cruel didn't recommend layers in her videos not even an antivirus. In the last year, I had Adguard (extension) alerts in my browser but nothing else....

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you are asking this, you shouldnt be using Comodo, especially with HIPS enabled.
I totally agree. Unless you want to be your own guinea pig. :)

But if you do continue with your current setup, I suggest that you ask for support on the official Comodo forum. Let them provide support for their product.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
If you want set and forget I'd go with Sophos, literally the only AV I would install and not change a single setting with, because the defaults are both simple and optimal.

Sophos Premium might be a good solution for our home with multiple devices. After looking for more info here and around the web it sounds pretty tempting as a suite.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I noticed that comodo blocked some app that should be safe, but not sure if to unblock or just leave it be:
This is not a complete lock, but some control. ShareX (taking screenshots, recording screen) tries to access the webcam, and Comodo Firewall controls this activity.

Reactions: oldschool

hexam

Level 1
Nov 28, 2018
This problematic is discussed there:

Comodo is making a total mess. As usual, it is blocking system files. That's why I can't stand it.
By the way, it is blocking OSArmor from functioning properly, and some of your other programs.

There is an expanation of this problem:

Q: Blocked Applications shows HIPS reporting CIS blocking certain programs and unblocking fails. What does that mean?
A: CIS will protect its self by denying programs to access CIS processes in memory.

In a nutshell:
  • 99,999999% of the programs will work when access to CIS processes in memory is denied
  • Memory access has always been logged in the background in the HIPS logs
  • Blocked Applications brings memory access to the front which worries people
  • Blocked application offers to unblock the blocking of memory access but can not deliver; that's a design flaw and causes people to worry even more
  • 99,999999% of the programs work without getting access to CIS processes in memory
  • Even though Blocked Application fails to allow memory access to CIS processes programs will work normally

In the end this is just a storm in a tea cup because of a usability issue. Programs will continue to function normally and there is no security risk. People get worried and think something is wrong even though programs are functioning normally and get freaked out when unblocking is not working.

The confusion shows that the decision to let Blocked Applications log memory access was a big mistake. Memory access should only be logged in the background in the HIPS logs only as it always has been. Information about memory access to CIS processes is only needed for 0,000001% of the programs.

As I was reading this thread I was near to uninstall comodo. I'm not able because of the lack of deeper, very deeper knowledge, but as long as I use comodo I never had problems with viruses, malware, trojaner a.s.o., and I'm doing onlinebanking, too. Remembering this again I wan't uninstall or get rid of comodo.
Yes, comodo isn't a simple software maybe to complecated in this or that way but it never has made problems to my programs or PCs.
There are points which are indeed "mysterious" as far as the block of CIS-programs like comodo dragon and some others for example, are concerned and I really don't quite understand the explanation above.

Really? But it is so featured right in this forum :(

This is not a complete lock, but some control. ShareX (taking screenshots, recording screen) tries to access the webcam, and Comodo Firewall controls this activity.

Last edited:
Reactions: shmu26

hexam

Level 1
Nov 28, 2018
Most security experts will tell you that you need layers to get better protection. I believe they're right. But with CF if you add layers, you add problems.Cruel didn't recommend layers in her videos not even an antivirus. In the last year, I had Adguard (extension) alerts in my browser but nothing else....

Layers? Does this mean addons/plugins like umatrix for instance?

I've read this advice, too. Not in comodo forum. But I'm too paranoid plugins like privacy badger, umatrix, HTTPSeverywhere not to use/to deactivate or to remove. In 'secure shopping' I deactivate according to the advice he gave in his article where I read this: They all want your date (or so)

Shall I remove all the plug ins but comodo's 'Online Security Pro'?

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Layers? Does this mean addons/plugins like umatrix for instance?

I've read this advice, too. Not in comodo forum. But I'm too paranoid plugins like privacy badger, umatrix, HTTPSeverywhere not to use/to deactivate or to remove. In 'secure shopping' I deactivate according to the advice he gave in his article where I read this: They all want your date (or so)

Shall I remove all the plug ins but comodo's 'Online Security Pro'?
Addons/ plugins /extensions are a layer I have a few myself. But I have disabled Comodo web filter that isn't very good by itself to make sure everything runs smooth.
When I was talking about layers, I was thinking adding security software like VoodooShied or others over Comodo...It would be overkill and over...
So I have: antivirus, Comodo, on demand anti malware,VPN,and browser extensions. And no conflicts.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
Sometimes fanboyism creates false impressions here at MT.
Is this about CruelComodo only or also SysHardener, OSA, Emsisoft software?

Besides... you are imaging your drive daily... right?
Who ever is doing this? Full system image every day??

Comodo is environmentally sensitive so if you already have an antivirus, don't add any other security apps
Including SH and OSA?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Is this about CruelComodo only or also SysHardener, OSA, Emsisoft software?
Comodo suffers from a lot of fanboyism, and probably this has a lot to do with CruelSister's personal flair and flamboyant personality. She granted glamour to PC security.

Who ever is doing this? Full system image every day??
Many people make incremental images after significant system changes or when data has updated.

ncluding SH and OSA?
I am not sure why someone would want to run OSA + Comodo firewall.
SystemHardener is a tweaking tool for advanced users and does not run in real-time.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I agree with shmu26: why would someone would want to run OSA + Comodo? Despite this, if you absolutely want to add OSA, wait for a few weeks to make sure you don't have any bugs on your computer, make an image and try it. And then live with it for a few weeks. If an issue arises and you don't know where it comes from, you'll be able to get back to a previous state.

As for SH, I tried it, uninstalled it but kept the firewall rules. No issues after 3 months.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Why did you uninstall it? this program is not active once it sets the rules.
I installed SH for only one reason: to set secure firewalls rules easily. I didn't want to change other settings to get issues with Comodo. So I don't need SH anymore.The job is done.

Reactions: shmu26

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Since I have not disabled Windows firewall, my SH firewall rules are integrated in Windows firewall. I never had conflicts with both firewalls on Windows 10.
Check that thread

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.