Advice Request Should i uninstall Kaspersky?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
From another perspective, when is your subscription due to expire? Unless it's "tomorrow," why waste a genuinely good security program?

Instead, take a look at ways to tweak it, like McMcBrad's above. (y) Besides, it seems you know what actually happened already--time to pick up, dust off and move on. :)

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Thanks again. so, i will keep Kaspersky.should i use another product in real time protection for additional protection in the future?
No, you should not run more than one Antivirus at a time to avoid conflicts and slowdowns. From time to time you can scan your system via a utility, such as Hitman Pro or Norton Power Eraser.

Once you tweak your Kaspersky settings as described, your security product will only let you work with trusted content. Meaning if I create a brand new trojan now, Kaspersky might not detect and delete it, but it will not let you open it either and will send it to the labs for analysis. It might then be detected next day or so.

To achieve that, you need to navigate to Settings -> Application Control and then change the window as shown:
1609619934496.png

Thiag0

Level 1
Jan 2, 2021
ESET from my experience is way more sensitive to "PUPs" and cracking programs, so i guess it's just ESET being more aggressive, personally i wouldn't uninstall Kaspersky because in my opinion it's a complete security solution and won't give you problems at all.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Probably were PUP/PUA/Adware, cracks or some others "malware files" not active running in system nor in risky system folders...
Sometimes malware remains in the browser cache. You’ve downloaded something malicious, it’s been deleted later (if it’s a larger file) but the cache entry remains. Or they might also be inside installers, archives, etc. But yes, to remain undetected they are either latent, or just not malicious according to Kaspersky.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
uhmmmmm.....
Exactly, you should have a second "doctor" in the PC, in my case HitmanPro. To have a second opinion about something or about some file in this case.

You should keep Kaspersky. kaspersky have a very good thing, we just detected real threats and not something that code be a potential threat, but is not.
Exactly, Kaspersky will usually tell you if a file is harmless but a hack tool and hardly gives false positives. It could be harmless and maybe ESET is giving false positive or doesn't recognize it's not harmful.

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
It might be a combination of trojans and false positives found in cracked software and residue of that. Some AVs will detect or flag them some of them while other AVs will do the same for others. In which case, you should consider not uninstalling one AV and replacing it with another but using one AV and several secondary scanners.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

But without any logs from Eset it is all speculation, still we don't what Eset has found...
Agreed!

I completely forgot that Kaspersky isn't as aggressive towards PUPs/cracks, etc... compared to Eset.

At this point it's all speculation of whether this was actual malware, or not... regardless there are still some lessons to be learned. I won't repeat everything I have already said, but at the end of the day the main points are:

1. No product is perfect including Kaspersky. Even if it was actual malware Kaspersky can still miss things just like everyone else.

2. This is just another reminder to practice safe computing habits. If you don't you will get infected one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.