Advice Request Should i uninstall Kaspersky?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
I've been away from the forum for a while and know not what this incident is about.

But I gave up on Kaspersky over the New Year because It bothered me so often with alerts, or things just wouldn't install/load, and diving into the Application Control settings to whitelist an app became such a chore that I just thought ##### it.

Now back to hardened Windows, hardened Defender and MFC and much, much happier already.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I've been away from the forum for a while and know not what this incident is about.

But I gave up on Kaspersky over the New Year because It bothered me so often with alerts, or things just wouldn't install/load, and diving into the Application Control settings to whitelist an app became such a chore that I just thought it.

Now back to hardened Windows, hardened Defender and MFC and much, much happier already.

Looks like its normal behavior when set to paranoid settings with all programs being moved to untrusted, etc. Let it sort and classify automatically. I almost never have a warning unless something malicious is trying to infect me.

SomeRandomCat

Level 3
Well-known
Dec 23, 2020
Well, when Kaspersky makes it impossible to alert you before blocking unknown files, it's no wonder. I uninstalled too. Absolutely miserable being forced to go into the settings for such basic tasks. Ability to prompt on known virus, but not on unknown files, is beyond ignorant programming, regardless of how good the protection could be.

What else is annoying is every single time it updates, it wants to restart the software, and blocks everything while it is restarting. They been around so long and still can't get it right. Plus, their support forums are literally worse than just posting here.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
1609743985949.png1609743971598.png

What else is annoying is every single time it updates, it wants to restart the software, and blocks everything while it is restarting.
That's not a normal behaviour and it does not need to restart the application in EVERY SIGNATURE UPDATE as You say... try uninstalling and performing a clean install...

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Don't have KIS on this PC at moment as trying AVG but personally it's on my other half's & my humble lappy along with many family/friends& frankly never had an issue with KIS - IMO the best or one of the best there is, & trouble free.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
View attachment 252453View attachment 252452

That's not a normal behaviour and it does not need to restart the application in EVERY SIGNATURE UPDATE as You say... try uninstalling and performing a clean install...
The block based reloads seem to be just for big engine updates or maintenance releases. A lot of other AVs simply stop protecting during that time. These updates don’t happen very often.
Honestly if configuring Application Control to be interactive and aggressive is too annoying it might just be worth putting it back to the default settings. Those who run relatively few unknown apps fare better with it and that’s not everyone.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
After reading some posts in this thread I can totally see why Kaspersky removed Trusted Applications mode, I guess it should make a FULLSCREEN RED warning when people change the default settings, especially in the Application Control module :rolleyes:

I guess I am getting older and grumpy, but is annoying to see users playing the Hackerman™ with mainstream security solutions and then complaining about alerts and false positives.

Reference:

TLDR:

Last edited by a moderator:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
After reading some posts in this thread I can totally see why Kaspersky removed Trusted Applications mode, I guess it should make a FULLSCREEN RED warning when people change the default settings, especially in the Application Control module :rolleyes:

I guess I am getting older and grumpy, but is annoying to see users playing the Hackerman™ with mainstream security solutions and then complaining about alerts and false positives.

Reference:

TLDR:

It is quite common in security forums to see people who set their security software to maximum paranoid mode then complain when it prompts for everything. Try doing it on ESET, for instance, and be prepared to be bombarded by prompts. The old default deny software threads were particularly full of those kind of posts.

Particularly I got tired of this game years ago. I set everything to automatic. I seriously doubt with my daily usage I will see anything the cloud hasn't detected before. I'm not a high profile target who will be targeted and actively attacked by 0-day exploits or malware. I mostly visit the same websites every day, except when I'm reading something mentioned in a post somewhere or when I'm looking for a specific bit of information.

In other words, if you set security software to paranoid, confirm everything, expect the prompts to come.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Personal opinion here. Working in government Kaspersky is a no go here in the USA - for many obvious and not so obvious reasons.

That being said I will not have it on any of my computers after learning the stuff I know. To each his own though. I will say this - prior to not knowing all the fun stuff about Kaspersky I would say keep Kaspersky as its really good. If you can get past all of the stuff I know and turn some massive blinders on some stuff Kaspersky is still top dog. I cannot say otherwise on that. Worked with Kaspersky myself for several years and wowza good stuff there.

Personally, I'd go for Bitdefender myself. ESET and Norton are pretty good too. If you go with the big top dogs that come out on top consistently you cannot go wrong. Couple this with VS and bam you got some good stuff rolling. Couple all that with some good MT rules of thumb with backups etc you will have a setup that is very good.

Now no one go hate mailing me on the Kaspersky front. :)I don't want to get into any arguments or none of that. Just know that with a clear and level mind knowing the stuff I now know I cannot and will not go back to using Kaspersky. Thank you in advance for no hate mail! Remember there is many known and 'unknown' ;) reasons why NATO countries are saying 'no way' and 'think twice'.

If one can turn a blind eye to all zed fun crazy stuff you got a good security software.

~Brian

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
And there We go again with the same and so old expired conspiracy theory without any arguments... "throwing the stone and hiding the hand" :sick: 🤦‍♂️ You forgot to mention also Chinese products! of course products from USA and other countries "are saints" and don't collect data nor spy to each others...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.