Should I upgrade to 19.10 or stick with 18.04?

AnErrupTion

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 29, 2020
Hey,
I've been wondering if it's worth upgrading from Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to Ubuntu 19.10.
I don't know if I get any performance improvement, or if I can downgrade or not.

Any help would be appreciated!
~ AnErrupTion

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
I'm a bit of a freak and need to be on whatever the latest version is. Depends on the circumstances. Is this for home use? Is the machine you're running it on "old"? Couldn't hurt running 19.10 if you're on a decent machine and it's for home use. 20.04 is due for release in the next month and a half or so

Reactions: motox781

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
:) Switch to Manjaro and you never have to worry about upgrades thanks to the rolling updates. You can even hot change linux kernels when you want. Manjaro has like Ubuntu an easy to use package manager/installer.

Reactions: harlan4096
F

ForgottenSeer 85911

Hey,
I've been wondering if it's worth upgrading from Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to Ubuntu 19.10.
I don't know if I get any performance improvement, or if I can downgrade or not.

Any help would be appreciated!
~ AnErrupTion

there is no need to upgrade unless you need to for drivers
you will get no performance gain going from 18 to 19
you can 'downgrade' research it to figure out how

AnErrupTion

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 29, 2020
Well, on OMG! Ubuntu I've seen a post that said that the 19.10 version will have many performance improvements.

F

ForgottenSeer 85911

Well, on OMG! Ubuntu I've seen a post that said that the 19.10 version will have many performance improvements.

you need a distro made for Intel Pentium CPU
Ubuntu is not it

Last edited by a moderator:

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
i have had that version 19.10 on another computer and i seen no difference at all my saying wait for 20 version or if need the lateset
It’s now possible to download Ubuntu 20.04 daily builds for testing!

Freshly spun ISOs of what will go on to become Ubuntu’s next long-term support release (aka 20.04 LTS) will be produced every day from now until shortly before the final, stable release makes an appearance in April 2020

if you need the latest and to be honest i always tried these versions and never had a problem

AnErrupTion

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 29, 2020
i have had that version 19.10 on another computer and i seen no difference at all my saying wait for 20 version or if need the lateset
It’s now possible to download Ubuntu 20.04 daily builds for testing!

Freshly spun ISOs of what will go on to become Ubuntu’s next long-term support release (aka 20.04 LTS) will be produced every day from now until shortly before the final, stable release makes an appearance in April 2020

if you need the latest and to be honest i always tried these versions and never had a problem
Yeah I've also downloaded one of these ISOs, and never had a problem in a VM. But I prefer to be on the stable way.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Install TimeShift (it is in the Ubuntu repo, I believe) and make a backup. Then you can upgrade, try it out yourself whether you see any performance improvements, or maybe you will just enjoy the updated software. If you aren't impressed very much by 19.10, you can roll back in a few clicks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.