Advice Request Should I use an Adblocker?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I use AdBlock Plus, as it serves me well without any issues. Tried out the well-known uBlock advertised in this forum, but both auto-update as well site issues made me change back. Of course, not all ads are detected, but can be hidden easily with some clicks.
The Malvertising thing is the most important next to making overadvertised pages I love to visit (Chip.de for example) enjoyable.
I don't turn off the Adblocker at any time, sorry dear page owners.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I advise you to use it, because on some sites there is malvertising or some really annoying popups/ads that with lots of moving things. On sites you really like and you trust, you can disable it, so that they can make some money to remain posting good content on their site.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
My only concern is that I am harming the sites I like YT, Wikis, etc.
I love the removal feature of ABP, which removes those advertisements before the vid is being played :) If I only found a way to turn off this autoplay movies on Chip.de... Yes, I enabled the Click-to-Play feature in Google Chrome.

EDIT: Sorry for quoting you @J Gamez065 I misunderstood your post :) Maybe some Mod can merge my two messages to one? Thx in advance :)
And congrats for reaching level 10 :)

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I am not trying to be Anti-Adblock or whatnot but if I or someone else were to possibly get warned of a security problem why should be worry about having an adblocker. The security we have should protect us before the infection takes place.

P.S Just Hit Lv 10 Thx Everyone XD

N

Noxx

I keep my adblock off on MT, but I recommend to keep it on in most instances. Crap is constantly building up in your computer as you surf. However, as others have said, keep it on for sites you support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Popular Adblockers such as ABP, AdBlock, Adguard may have Acceptable Ads, which are predefined by the developers. You can disable this, but whitelist any sites you want Ads to appear on.

An adblocker for most users are beneficial, but so are the built-in security features in Modern browsers.

Edit: If using Windows 10, try Microsoft Edge and see the difference before you go blocking everything. ;)

D

Deleted member 2913

Absolutely Yes IMHO.

It gets so annoying sometimes that there are chances you may hit & break the system due to the annoyance.

So keep cool, safe expensive system & enjoy clutter free experience free.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

I use it and i don't disable it for nothing. Even i don't read things on Forbes because it blocks access with adblockers. Sorry Forbes. I just don't disable it. I keep Acceptable Ads on BTW and have seen some ads which are static and clearly marked as such. I actually enjoyed them. They were my cool little ads and all other stupid ads are just blocked. I almost fell in love with these acceptable advertisments which i found maybe 6-7 months after seeing the last advertisment in a website LOL :D

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I use AdGuard Ad Blocker, sites in Brazil has many ads and annoying ads that you have to wait 5 seconds to view the page or news! Adverts which is right in the middle of the screen! This is very annoying! I walk in sites from other countries and do not see annoying ads as it has in Brazilian sites.
On sites that I really like I've let the AdGuard automatically disabled, I know it's hard to maintain a site and need the ads to keep the site up.
My vote is for : Use it but disable it on sites you love

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.