Solved Should i use prime95 or passmark for stress test

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
I'm not sure how to use prime95. I don't want to damage my CPU or anything. Is passmark better to use also haven't used this program that much so not really sure how its done

Can someone help me if they can

Thank u

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
I have use prime95 when CPU overclocking to stress test, and it does a great job. It won't hurt your CPU. That is kind of the point of it. Your CPU will shut down a core/s if it reaches thermal threshhold, and thats if you have disabled throttling. The other extreme, is if the CPU is not receiving enough power, it will stutter while doing a calculation and cause an error. Completely unharmful to the CPU, potentially fatal to data that may have been processing. Which is what we're testing for :)

...Once prime95 detects an error on a core, it kills the test on it.
It's one of those great applications that just does what it does, and does it well. Without the bells and whistles.

Upvote 0

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
This is from the developers website:

http://mersenneforum.org/gimps/p64v2511.zip

I forgot to add... that using prime95, you are not only getting a great stress tester but you also have the opportunity to be doing something good for a large community by contributing your CPU power to solving complex mathematical equations :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.