Should I use Shadow Defender with SpyShelter Firewall or Emsisoft Anti-Malware?

Should I use Shadow Defender with SpyShelter Firewall or Emsisoft Anti-Malware?

• Shadow Defender + SpyShelter Firewall

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Shadow Defender + Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SpyShelter is not used by very many people on this site, but @Lockdown seems to know it pretty well, and has said some good things about it.
I can say that it produces a lot of prompts, it is not cheap, the support is not super friendly, and it has its quirks... but after all is said and done, it is strong protection! No security soft that I have found yet is perfect.
Ask @Lockdown about SpS. I haven't used it recently.

SpyShelter in the right hands is more powerful than any internet security suite could ever be.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
nobody likes SSFW Spyshelter Firewall ? :)
Hi Neon...I like such setup and from years it's basical on my machines. At present day is installed on two laptops
on XP - SS Premium, SD and Kerio firewall
on Vista - SS FW and SD.
SS is rather not an anti-exe becouse of lack one important feature - lock system...you can block/deny aplication/process but you can't block every others except allowed. But...SS has a lot of many others features that can increase protection.

212eta

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
May 11, 2011
Shadow Defender + SpyShelter Firewall,
because I do Not Trust Antimalware products. ;)

Reactions: neon

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
For me Windows Firewall Controll was a lot easier to understand than the Spyhelter Firewall. I use SS for the Hips? thingy and disabled the firewall. I'm too lazy to figure it out when in the same timeframe i understand the concept of WFC . Better start a trial or so to find out if you like SS Firewall (if it's about the firewall part for you).
Btw WFC is a lot cheaper than the ss Firewall since WFC is lifetime.

P

plat1098

Since you're obliged to choose between HIPS (no....patience....) and behavior blocker, the latter wins out via Emsisoft AM. Convenience and performance impacts play as important the roles, admittedly. In the case of a pre-BB compromise, I'll cross that bridge etc, etc. :devil:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Besides SpyShelter Firewall does not have a native firewall, it is a Windows booster, Emsisoft does the same, the only thing is, SpyShelter Firewall has HIPS, and Emsisoft has a behavioral detector.
Yes...SS is based on Windows FW drivers but you can make normal rules (process/IP/port) as in others firewalls and group rules also for more than one apps you need. SS has not only HIPS...it has a lot of others features tha can strongly inrease protection of system, location (files/folders) and processes.
EAM does not the same...sorry...his BB is not the real firewall.

Besides SpyShelter Firewall does not have a native firewall, it is a Windows booster, Emsisoft does the same, the only thing is, SpyShelter Firewall has HIPS, and Emsisoft has a behavioral detector.

Everybody uses Windows Filtering Platform. And that has been the case for years. None of the big names would bother to do otherwise. Research it.

SimpleFirewall might not use WFP. Ask henrypp+.

Edit: Actually I just checked and it does.

Last edited by a moderator:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Yes...SS is based on Windows FW drivers but you can make normal rules (process/IP/port) as in others firewalls and group rules also for more than one apps you need. SS has not only HIPS...it has a lot of others features tha can strongly inrease protection of system, location (files/folders) and processes.
EAM does not the same...sorry...his BB is not the real firewall.
OK I have used SpyShelter Firewall and it seems to me a great program, but I find it better Shadow conbination with Emsisoft, besides SpyShelter Firewal, it has a learning curve that not many adapt to it. The other with the windows firewall is more than enough

Reactions: neon and frogboy

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Definity SD + SSFW

But you comparison is a bit unfair you compre diferent layers of security.
While EAM is only scanner with sux ratio detection.
SSFW is not scanner is Advanced HIPS with Firewall and have yet other addional tools builded like SRP (restriction for write access) and keystore encryption.

Why than i chosen SSFW casue HIPS layer is more effective than behavior and have other functions which i wrote above.
But any way you could use even this 3 in one time but i offer change EAM scanner to another scanner or even multi scanner to get better data base with better ratio detecton like Hitman Pro / Zemana or SecureAPlus

Reactions: frogboy and neon

Hector1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 4, 2015
You even can use shadow defender + windows defender + binisoft Wfc
or
Shadow defender + EAM + binisoft WFC
or SD+WD+Spyshelter

You have a lot of good combo

Reactions: neon

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Currently Combos which i used and still use and still offer from clean heart are:

1)Shadow Defender/Sandboxie + SpyShelterFW + AppGuard + ZemanaAM
2)Shadow Defender/Sandboxie + Scotty bundle (Winpatrol Firewall and WAR) + ZemanaAL
3)Shadow Defender + ReHIPS + Binisoft or Sphinx + ZemanaAM

Alternatives
- you can change Zemana with Hitman Pro or SecureAPlus but Zemana AntiLogger and SS have keyencryption at last you need figure other alternative like KeyScrambler but pricewith this bundle can be more expensive and not at all more secuire as my option as above :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.