Advice Request Should you allow telemetry?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Companies build software products. They release said software products into the wild. People start using them, and sometimes, there be problems. But how can companies really know that their products are working as expected? User interaction? Unreliable. Some form of automated mechanism that tracks software usage and reports data back? Yes.

Software telemetry is a relatively transparent way of collecting data about human-software interactions, with the noble goal of improving software products. Alas, if only the reality was so cuddly and naive. As it happens, humans quickly realized that data collected in this manner can be used for more than just improvements in the product. And thus, overnight, a noble goal became ignoble. So the question is, should you, as an end user, allow, encourage or accept telemetry in the software you use?
Best quote in this article:
The longer the data exists out there, the probability of it being leaked out approaches one.
Read the full article here at Dedoimedo:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
A nice and thoughtfully-written article.

Really, it makes it clear that data telemetry is (partly) a sort of payment for your using the free (or even paid) version of a software. If one uses a browser specifically, there's no way to avoid it, maybe only to put a ding in the mechanism with various tools like O&O, ad-blockers, etc (you hope).

I don't find "telemetry" to be a dirty word at all in some contexts. I've seen the benefits of it too many times while running Insider builds. Thanks to Microsoft-deployed DISM, my current Windows system has never been more stable. It's just that the line between "benefit" and "greed" as he stated is often blurred and difficult to distinguish in everyday user life.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I used to hate telemetry, I duct taped camera, microphone, windows and refused to open strangers, post men included. But those times are long gone. As I started to easy down, I understood, that if you want something, in terms of features, you have to give something. Like I faced a choice: Shall I allow search suggestions in Edge?! I could privately type, what I want, but then it would cost me a previous time. So it all comes down to, what you want and if it is worth giving up some privacy in return. For an example:

Attachments

• capture_01012021_201921.jpg
    capture_01012021_201921.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 173
  • capture_01012021_202040.jpg
    capture_01012021_202040.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 166

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.