ShouldIRemoveIt.com serves Adware by Sponsored Ads

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Neutral stance on AdBlockers - this post does neither encourage or discourage the user of one.

Reason Software are the company behind the better known for their free security products such as HerdProtect and Reason Core Security. While their other projects include ShouldIRemoveIt.com and Boost.

Visiting their Should I Remove It website, you may consider it trustworthy without any risks, but as with most free services, there is always a hidden catch, trial-ware or otherwise. In this case, it's how they serve ads to unsuspecting visitors.

Inb4: Not everyone uses an Adblocker and it is per user choice.

In this instance, I am served this Ad. As you can see, this Sponsored Ad wants me to download some software called "Windows Repair Tool: Fix Windows Errors on Your PC! Boost your PC speed..." etc.

(If ignored, the Ad disappears after 5-10 seconds).
yw2c2Aw.png

It's strongly suggested not to click on Sponsored Ads, as they are more than likely to serve unwanted or malicious Ads.

Acting as a naive web user, I clicked on Download Now (because the Ad said so).

oFdMOGa.png

VirusTotal Scan Results:

Not all Advertising is used for nefarious activity, for example, the non-sponsored Google Ads by AVG and Bullguard take users to special landing page that offers their products with considerable discounts.

3rkBGU1.png

Ad Link to AVG:
txZWHEx.png

Wrap up: Be especially wary of Sponsored Ads and Links and never click the 'Download Now' buttons.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.