SHP paired with SecureAPlus or Voodooshield

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
SHP seems weak against scriptors, I was thinking if paired with an anti-exe this may be a fairly strong suite.

Has someone paired SHP with SecureAplus ? ( disabling the local AV in SAP so that they don't clash ) with SAP acting as an anti-exe effectively, SAP also has rules for filtering out common malware params for lolbins

Has someone paired SHP with Voodooshield ?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I haven't used SHP with VS (only Sophos Free) but you should be aware of changes that have made VS extremely quiet. False positives and alerts have pretty much disappeared. In fact, I'd be confident putting it on a complete techno-phobe's PC now. Integration of Whitelist Cloud has made all the difference and steady development continues.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

@notabot SHP being Sophos, right? If yes, you have no reason to add any anti-exe... Just use GPO or SysHardener to disable script interpreters. Anyway, anti-exe won't stop anything loaded in-memory, they don't have the capacity and it is not even in their scope.
What you are asking is like to wear an medieval armor over a Kevlar vest without a protective helmet...guess where I will aim lol.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I haven't used SHP with VS (only Sophos Free) but you should be aware of changes that have made VS extremely quiet. False positives and alerts have pretty much disappeared. In fact, I'd be confident putting it on a complete techno-phobe's PC now. Integration of Whitelist Cloud has made all the difference and steady development continues.

VS right now, with 5.04 and the upcoming public release with the inclusion of WLC is quite a sight to behold. I am fully confident now deploying it on friends/family computers without constant complaints. This would allow me to seek a much lighter, faster security profile for them. Since they all have Gryphon's, VS when paired with Gryphon should be enough. I'd love to see Gryphon to buy VS outright, hire Dan on, rebrand it into something like Gryphon Endpoint Protect and bundle it with the router security package.

davisd

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2019
Just use GPO or SysHardener to disable script interpreters.
This ^. I'm a SHP user since first release and recommend doing this over adding another 3th party security app. SHP is very complex suite with integrated HitmanPro.Alert already, which is known to cause trouble within Windows itself and with other security softs added, but they are working continuesly to adress issues and pushes updates so that's good. Disable vulnerable interpreters/LOLBins and you're set, for that I was personally using AppGuard. One using SHP should not overthink.

Last edited:

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
@notabot SHP being Sophos, right? If yes, you have no reason to add any anti-exe... Just use GPO or SysHardener to disable script interpreters. Anyway, anti-exe won't stop anything loaded in-memory, they don't have the capacity and it is not even in their scope.
What you are asking is like to wear an medieval armor over a Kevlar vest without a protective helmet...guess where I will aim lol.

Disabling them via GPO means you need to do it for each machine separately and that applies to maintenance as well, SAP and VS have web-dashboards ( the extent to which these are good I don't know yet ).

I don't want them disabled entirely btw, only when eg I do web surfing, and e.g. VS offers this out of the box in a clickthrough fashion.

This ^. I'm a SHP user since first release and recommend doing this over adding another 3th party security app. SHP is very complex suite with integrated HitmanPro.Alert already, which is known to cause trouble within Windows itself and with other security softs added, but they are working continuesly to adress issues and pushes updates so that's good. Disable vulnerable interpreters/LOLBins and you're set, for that I was personally using AppGuard. One using SHP should not overthink.

Compatibility with hitman pro alert is the main worry, I don't want to whitelist via SRP though, I've found this sort of whitelisting setup to be inconvenient.

VS right now, with 5.04 and the upcoming public release with the inclusion of WLC is quite a sight to behold. I am fully confident now deploying it on friends/family computers without constant complaints. This would allow me to seek a much lighter, faster security profile for them. Since they all have Gryphon's, VS when paired with Gryphon should be enough. I'd love to see Gryphon to buy VS outright, hire Dan on, rebrand it into something like Gryphon Endpoint Protect and bundle it with the router security package.

I remember you had installed SHP at some point, have you ever installed Voodooshield with it? did they play well together ?

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
Hello

Currently I am running SHP and Voodooshield. For the moment no real issues except a slower startup and shutdown and with Blizzard games (but that can be an issue with SHP, need to further investigation).

A phew months ago I tested SHP with ReHips. That was a smooth combo. No issues at all.

I did not test NoVirusThanks ExeRadar or Spyshelter (free).

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Hello

Currently I am running SHP and Voodooshield. For the moment no real issues except a slower startup and shutdown and with Blizzard games (but that can be an issue with SHP, need to further investigation).

A phew months ago I tested SHP with ReHips. That was a smooth combo. No issues at all.

I did not test NoVirusThanks ExeRadar or Spyshelter (free).

Thanks for sharing your experience, it's great to hear there are no observed conflicts between the two

ps: Blizzard games :love: , wish I could turn back time

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
Problems with HOTS and especially with Diablo III. Lots of interruptions and disconnect error.

Warcraft III and the Frozen throne were great. Warcraft II was also fun. I liked the navelunits :).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.