Always notify
Real-time security
Norton Security
VoodooShield Pro [lifetime]
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
GlassWire Basic [paid, lifetime] (not a malware scanner, but not running in real time either, so I put it here)
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome, Firefox; LastPass
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Process Lasso Pro
System recovery
Acronis True Image [WD Edition]

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
GlassWire is a good tool but it didn't worked out well for me. It's still a memory hog. :( How's your experience with GlassWire?

Anyways, nice config you got there @Shran! Simple and light!

Reactions: Logethica

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
@King Mellow,

I don't really have memory issues with it, but then again I have 16GB of RAM, so I wouldn't really notice if I did :s I like it, it usually runs smoothly on my system.

Removed: Shadow Defender. Causes way too many CPU spikes & explorer.exe freezes. Not the first time this has happened.

Added: VoodooShield Pro. Not the same type of software as SD but without SD I need some kind of anti EXE

L

Lucent Warrior

@King Mellow,

I don't really have memory issues with it, but then again I have 16GB of RAM, so I wouldn't really notice if I did :s I like it, it usually runs smoothly on my system.

Removed: Shadow Defender. Causes way too many CPU spikes & explorer.exe freezes. Not the first time this has happened.

Added: VoodooShield Pro. Not the same type of software as SD but without SD I need some kind of anti EXE
Im running Appguard with Norton Security hand in hand, and all is smooth and well. Matter of fact, i will from this point forward not use anything else, the two combined and tweaked, are very powerful protection and system is still light and responsive.

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Removed: Norton Security
Added: Shadow Defender
Updated first post to reflect current set-up.
Now I have only anti-exe and system wide virtualization... the system is clean, nothing will start and nothing will stay... what's the point of anything else?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Removed: Norton Security
Added: Shadow Defender
Updated first post to reflect current set-up.
Now I have only anti-exe and system wide virtualization... the system is clean, nothing will start and nothing will stay... what's the point of anything else?
"nothing will start and nothing will stay... " o_O
This could have been a memorable film quote!:D

Curiously, I've recently removed Norton and, additionally, installed and updated to the latest version Shadow Defender as well!:) I hadn't thought this possible (before) because lifetime licenses, at one time, specified "..no updates" which, happily, seems to no longer be the case.

Your anti-exec security is one more inspirational observation this 'cat' could do well copying!:D
Thank you for sharing, @Shran. Because of a previous such share, I no longer give in to the "Siren's" call of public wif-fi!:p
Cheers for that one too!:):)

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Removed: Shadow Defender - I love SD, I really do, I love the concept & I do believe anti exe & SD is the best way to go, but even after removing Norton & disabling Windows Defender, SD causes my computer to load slowly again... I still can't figure out why it doesn't get along with my system :( (Note that I completely disabled all A/V, using group policy to turn off Windows Defender totally)

Changed: ZAM from on demand to realtime with pandora enabled. Now I will try ZAM + VS.

EDIT: @Umbra, I know you speak of tweaks for Chrome which can run under Windows AppContainer, how can I do this?

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I know you speak of tweaks for Chrome which can run under Windows AppContainer, how can I do this?

Go to chrome://flags

Scroll down until you find "Enable PPAPI Win32k Lockdown" then select "All Plugins"
Below that would be "Enable AppContainer Lockdown", select "Enabled"

It should be like this after you make the change;

Wu2v4yZ.png

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Changed: ZAM from Realtime to On Demand. After I put ZAM to Realtime by itself, my ethernet adapter completely stopped working :eek: I did all the usual troubleshooting and as soon as I got ZAM back in on demand, it was working again :confused:

Added: Norton Security Premium (back). Norton + Anti EXE is always my baseline set up, it's always been reliable and 'faithful' to me, so when something else doesn't work I revert to this.

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Changed: ZAM Premium to ZAL Premium (not running in real time)

Added a second user account (limited/standard), and using Group Policy I have made all elevation requests automatically denied for non admin accounts, UAC won't even pop up, it's just flat out denied without even asking. This will be my main account & I'll only use admin account when absolutely necessary.
upload_2016-8-13_22-31-52.png

upload_2016-8-13_22-31-41.png

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Performing clean install of Windows.
Will NOT reinstall Zemana due to multiple suspicious behaviors, discussed here Question - Zemana dropped files , multiple AV's (including my own) flagging as malware (or at the very least suspicious) Question - Kaspersky Marked Zemana as Malware! and Zemana installers different with each download? (I found this one on my own, I thought it was suspicious at the time, but seemed to be explained in that thread, however adding all these things together does not look very good... perhaps the file hash is different with each download to avoid detection by malware OR to avoid AV detection...?)

Added: Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Removed: Norton ConnectSafe DNS (temporarily at least, been having some internet connection issues that seemed to be resolved once DNS was removed, will see if that really was the cause/fix)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.