Maintenance tools
N/A
File and Photo backup
Macrium reflect
System recovery
Macrium reflect
W

Wave

Nice configuration! IMO you know what you are doing and I'm not going to sit here bragging to you about adding on-demand scanners because I know deep down it'll be annoying because you would've added one if you wanted one! ;) :)

Thanks for sharing! :)

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Nice configuration! IMO you know what you are doing and I'm not going to sit here bragging to you about adding on-demand scanners because I know deep down it'll be annoying because you would've added one if you wanted one! ;) :)

Thanks for sharing! :)
Yeah, removed everything recently because i never actually used them. So no point in having them around. Doing a spring cleaning on everything unused every few months.

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
You make me hard for members to suggest things.

Nice config, mate. :p
Suggest me to remove Firefox. Seriously thinking it a lot recently. Every time i open it and try to check something it's slow, uses too much cpu and often freezes. Might be time for edge being my second browser now that i can have an adblocker. Still thinking it so if you have any insight to that i am ready to listen. :D

W

Wave

Suggest me to remove Firefox. Seriously thinking it a lot recently. Every time i open it and try to check something it's slow, uses too much cpu and often freezes. Might be time for edge being my second browser now that i can have an adblocker. Still thinking it so if you have any insight to that i am ready to listen. :D
For me Google Chrome is the best; Firefox is too slow for me, MS Edge is nice but doesn't work well for me and IE is outdated. Opera seems to consume lots of memory for me...

Chrome is a resource hog as well, but it works fastest for me out of all the other ones.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
To the point and excellent config. Best of HIPS and best of AMs :)
Ofcourse we need not say anything. WFC is very well required when using WF and you've done that.
I was thinking about ZAM and then I read Wave's post here and ya, bingo!

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Excellent! You have given us something ponder and suggest upon. :p

As I see it, you have two primary alternatives for Firefox-based browsers (yes, I am not referring to vanilla Firefox specifially): Chromium-based browsers (predominately Google Chrome) and, well, Microsoft Edge.

If you want to use a browser that most probably works for you, and quickly, you'd go for Edge. But, as you stated yourself, MS Edge is probably best used as a secondary browser.

So you have one sure solution. The other one would be our Chromium friends. Many choices here, with the most apparent one being Google Chrome, and perhaps a very interesting alternative being Vivaldi browser. As a personal prefernce, I'd go for Vivaldi over Chrome, just to make sure that Google doesn't hold the reigns over one of the most important everyday applications that we use, which is the web browser.

Chromium browsers are fast, use the acclaimed "multi-process" architecture, a fact which you may very well know already, and are neatly secure.

I hate the way they treat my system though. First of all, they create an hideous GROTESQUE MESS of things, file-system wise.

Journals, cache files, and all sorts of junk scattered all over the %appdata% directories and who knows where else (I haven't taken the time to actually search for all of 'em) - and the thing is, even when you set Chrome to clean all junk of your browsing session when it closes, it simply does not. CCleaner verifies this very easily.
I won't rant about its memory footprint, because 1. I acknowledge it's been improving lately and 2. Google has promised to improve it further, so I'll give it a chance and not be too harsh - oh, and 3. Most modern systems should not suffer from low RAM, although you cannot be too certain of that.

That was my personal quirk with an otherwise superb browser family, which is super secure, fast and stable, and all that.

Time for my personal, ultra-biased appeal in Firefox's defense:

First off, allow me to say that I do not, and will not ever again, use vanilla Firefox. It is indeed in certain situations slower than its Chromium counterparts and MS Edge, and the fact that the Firefox development team is not pushing for x64, only baffles me. Their typical argument: "No real-life need for x64" does not hold anymore - all mainline software is going x64, and Firefox is not a utility you keep in your toolkit, that you only run once a month or at a friend's house. (sheesh, so much for Firefox's "defense" :D)

Okay, rant. Moving on: Over the past few years, I have experimented with many Gecko-based browsers, from Pale Moon to Waterfox, and even tried Firefox Nightlies. It would suffice to say that I was mostly uninterested or unimpressed by most of them.
Then I stumbled upon Cyberfox. Noticeably greater perfomance, memory footprint smaller even than the notoriously "light as a feather" Pale Moon, and very efficient and professional development on behalf of its developers (specialized builds optimized for specific processor architecures, updates always on time over custom updater, support for ALL vanilla Firefox extensions/addons).
I have been using Cyberfox for so long I can't remember anymore, and I have never before felt more comfortable and confident with a browser.
A small Cyberfox trick that enchanted me: "Clear Ram Cache". Over a long, LONG browsing session, Firefox used to get sluggish. Not anymore. I slam that F9, and Cyberfox cleans up disk and RAM cache, ready to use as if I had restarted it. Very useful for increasing your productivity or prolonging procrastination. :D

TL;DR MS Edge is the easy choice, Chromium is secure and ultra-fast but seriously messy, vanilla Firefox is unimpressive but its x64 variants are rather interesting.

Take your pick. :D

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Excellent! You have given us something ponder and suggest upon. :p

As I see it, you have two primary alternatives for Firefox-based browsers (yes, I am not referring to vanilla Firefox specifially): Chromium-based browsers (predominately Google Chrome) and, well, Microsoft Edge.

If you want to use a browser that most probably works for you, and quickly, you'd go for Edge. But, as you stated yourself, MS Edge is probably best used as a secondary browser.

So you have one sure solution. The other one would be our Chromium friends. Many choices here, with the most apparent one being Google Chrome, and perhaps a very interesting alternative being Vivaldi browser. As a personal prefernce, I'd go for Vivaldi over Chrome, just to make sure that Google doesn't hold the reigns over one of the most important everyday applications that we use, which is the web browser.

Chromium browsers are fast, use the acclaimed "multi-process" architecture, a fact which you may very well know already, and are neatly secure.

I hate the way they treat my system though. First of all, they create an hideous GROTESQUE MESS of things, file-system wise.

Journals, cache files, and all sorts of junk scattered all over the %appdata% directories and who knows where else (I haven't taken the time to actually search for all of 'em) - and the thing is, even when you set Chrome to clean all junk of your browsing session when it closes, it simply does not. CCleaner verifies this very easily.
I won't rant about its memory footprint, because 1. I acknowledge it's been improving lately and 2. Google has promised to improve it further, so I'll give it a chance and not be too harsh - oh, and 3. Most modern systems should not suffer from low RAM, although you cannot be too certain of that.

That was my personal quirk with an otherwise superb browser family, which is super secure, fast and stable, and all that.

Time for my personal, ultra-biased appeal in Firefox's defense:

First off, allow me to say that I do not, and will not ever again, use vanilla Firefox. It is indeed in certain situations slower than its Chromium counterparts and MS Edge, and the fact that the Firefox development team is not pushing for x64, only baffles me. Their typical argument: "No real-life need for x64" does not hold anymore - all mainline software is going x64, and Firefox is not a utility you keep in your toolkit, that you only run once a month or at a friend's house. (sheesh, so much for Firefox's "defense" :D)

Okay, rant. Moving on: Over the past few years, I have experimented with many Gecko-based browsers, from Pale Moon to Waterfox, and even tried Firefox Nightlies. It would suffice to say that I was mostly uninterested or unimpressed by most of them.
Then I stumbled upon Cyberfox. Noticeably greater perfomance, memory footprint smaller even than the notoriously "light as a feather" Pale Moon, and very efficient and professional development on behalf of its developers (specialized builds optimized for specific processor architecures, updates always on time over custom updater, support for ALL vanilla Firefox extensions/addons).
I have been using Cyberfox for so long I can't remember anymore, and I have never before felt more comfortable and confident with a browser.
A small trick that enchanted me: "Clear Ram Cache". Over a long, LONG browsing session, Firefox used to get sluggish. Not anymore. I slam that F9, and Firefox cleans up disk and RAM cache, ready to use as if I had restarted it. Very useful for increasing your productivity or prolonging procrastination. :D

TL;DR MS Edge is the easy choice, Chromium is secure and ultra-fast but seriously messy, vanilla Firefox is unimpressive but its x64 variants are rather interesting.

Take your pick. :D
Thanks. That was so nice info and will help me not waste time. I will try Edge as my backup browser and if that doesn't work for me i will try Cyberfox. Thanks a lot for your help buddy.
My main browser is Chrome. It sure eats memory and likes cpu but i have some of that to spare. It's by far the best browser for me.

ReHIPS is awesome. Anything on top of that is just the frills
Yeah. It's my main software. All the rest are for debate if they will remain or not because my software mood changes often.

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I actually prefer Firefox to Cyberfox. I'm still using it as my backup to Google Chrome. I only use Edge for Netflix (1080p support). Are you fully updated on Firefox? I was having slow issues as well until 51.0.1.
Yeah, fully updated but it's still problematic. Maybe you use 64 bit? I remember they used to have such version but i noticed i don't use that atm. Might worth the try.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.