Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
The major reason why I don't use/test ReHIPS now is it's not fully compatible with my touchpad driver with regards to sandboxing some application (i.e. Touchpad gestures wouldn't work). Because of this "incompatibility" my usage of ReHIPS would be limited to some applications and the use of the HIPS. :)
I know what you mean but it's up to the touchpad manufacturer to make the driver work when you are running as another user. Sadly nothing can be done.
Assuming it can work when you are on the same desktop the issue will be solved though.

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I hope the issues with simplewall would get fixed. I had a different problem with new version so using old version for now. I wouldn't want to stay with old version for long, if the issue doesn't get fixed, I'll go back to WFC as well or maybe W10FC.
I am testing it again with new windows version. It seems to not break windows store application for now. Alerts are still the same thing but i can live with that.

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Added: Simplewall
Removed: Wfc

Store issues are not happening atm with new windows version, notifications for blocked applications can be stopped with a setting and no more duplicate alerts to allow applications(hopefully finally fixed, seems like it). So i went back to simplewall because wfc is a cpu hog.

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Really? on my system it barely uses more than 0.02%
Yep, when no connection is on it's 0% but just load a few websites and see it eating cpu like it's nothing. When i am doing heavy network stuff it goes up to 40% of my cpu and i don't own a ##### cpu(pretty decent 7300hq). A simple youtube page loading sends it to 5-10% for at least 5 seconds until the network load is done. Makes 0 sense if you ask me but it's because he is trying to manipulate the actual windows firewall instead of using wfp to create his "own" firewall.

D

Deleted member 178

Yep, when no connection is on it's 0% but just load a few websites and see it eating cpu like it's nothing. When i am doing heavy network stuff it goes up to 40% of my cpu and i don't own a ##### cpu(pretty decent 7300hq). A simple youtube page loading sends it to 5-10% for at least 5 seconds until the network load is done. Makes 0 sense if you ask me but it's because he is trying to manipulate the actual windows firewall instead of using wfp to create his "own" firewall.
Just tried on youtube and other pages, it still stick at 0.02-0.04%.

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Just tried on youtube and other pages, it still stick at 0.02-0.04%.
No clue tbh. It was always like this for me and didn't find a way to fix it.

EDIT: Do you use the notification system WFC offers? Ok it's the notification system. Stuck at 0 if you disable that. Can you confirm you don't use it?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

look :
wfc.jpg

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Disabled Emsisoft windows security center integration so i can have protected folders securing my backups drive. Also installed wfc on the fast machine that doesn't care about cpu usage and left simplewall or the older machine.

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Added: Comodo firewall
Removed:Wfc
Installed Comodo and will only use the firewall. Not going to mess with anything else and annoy myself with bugs. It should be lighter than wfc for me and do a similar job. Time will tell.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Added: Wfc
Removed: Comodo firewall
Installed Comodo and will only use the firewall. Not going to mess with anything else and annoy myself with bugs. It should be lighter than wfc for me and do a similar job. Time will tell.
So does that mean you are running Comodo (firewall only) alongside ReHIPS?

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yes. I do. Even tried it at default for a bit trying to reproduce the bug you mentioned thinking you used Comodo.

Actually i made a mistake. I removed WFC for Comodo.
Now that's interesting. I never would have thought to install Comodo and disable everything else but the firewall.
What did you do with Comodo shellcode injection?

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Now that's interesting. I never would have thought to install Comodo and disable everything else but the firewall.
What did you do with Comodo shellcode injection?
From that category i have this setup. For now i didn't see a problem but i have been using it only for a few days now. If it creates issues i will also disable that.
If you mean something else it's probably disabled because i disabled hips,container,virusscope.

I also cleared the trusted publisher list with only those i trust and disabled their online cloud.

B3aBv96.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.