Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Ok, I had a lot of requests for a list of Security Apps that are Sig-Free, so here they are with links too.
VoodooShield: VoodooShield™ - The User-Friendly Toggling Computer Lock.
AppCheck By Checkmal: CheckMAL
DeepArmor: DeepArmor – SparkCognition Inc
NVT ERP: NoVirusThanks: Security Software and Services
HMP / HMP.A: HitmanPro.Alert Ransomware Prevention, Secondary Scanner and Zero-Day Exploit Protection | hitmanpro.com
CyberReasosn, Ransomfree: RansomFree by Cybereason: Free Ransomware Protection
Winpatrol WAR: WinAntiRansom | Protects you like no other Anti-Ransom. Prevents encryption of your files.
First off let me say that going sig-free is not as risky as it was a couple years ago, today it can be done with a responsible approach to browsing and some common sense.
The important thing is to have the time and patience to "learn" the products and how to best employ them in
your environment. The one thing I do recommend is that at first as you learn you need good browser protection, so employ HMP.A with what ever you decide to run with.
I have a ton of experience with VS, the Hitman Pro duo, DeepArmor, and WAR, these are the ones I have used off and on for the past couple years. I am not that familiar with Cyberreasons "Ransomfree" or
NVT ERP. I have not used either of these so I cant tell you their worth, the good thing is that others here
have so just find a user with a history with that particular software and I bet they will gladly share their
knowledge.
For me this was a big transition in that I had to adjust to my config, rather than adjusting my config to me.
That took some getting used to, but in the end it made me a better PC user actually in that I had to be very
aware of what I was doing and why I was doing it, including in my browsing.
My favorite config of those up there is VS, and HMP.A I ran that for almost a full year.
AppCheck can be run next to HMP.A with no issues, seeing how unique their approaches are, they actually compliment each other.
But anyway, mix and match and find what works for you, and as you do watch how fast and stable your machine becomes, I can attest to the fact that doing this is good for you and your habits, as well as your machine, the only downside is it takes a commitment to venture out into a new way of doing things and some
people are not built for that weather it be lack of focus, patience, ect. but if you can see yourself doing this the
rewards are very cool indeed.
I will update this thread with other worthy software as I run across them, I included what I did and what I didn't for a good reason, that being all are nearly mainstream and almost all of us here know and or have used these..
Some of these are free, some are a combo of both free and paid, and some like DeepArmor are very hard to get a hold of so keep a eye out and share anything you find here to help the next user that may want to make the leap to Sig-Free too, this isn't my thread, it's our thread. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Testing NVT ERP for a few days. Easier to use than I previously thought. But the problem for user like me is that I won't be able to differentiate between good and malicious process. Might end up allowing everything.
Other products @_CyberGhosT_ mentioned are suitable for average users like me. @HarborFront, OP mentioned where to start, I think Appguard, ReHips and CFW(unless use @cruelsister's settings) might be too much for beginners.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Testing NVT ERP for a few days. Easier to use than I previously thought. But the problem for user like me is that I won't be able to differentiate between good and malicious process. Might end up allowing everything.
Other products @_CyberGhosT_ mentioned are suitable for average users like me. @HarborFront, OP mentioned where to start, I think Appguard, ReHips and CFW(unless use @cruelsister's settings) might be too much for beginners.
Exactly, I was just giving a "starting point" hence the title, the software I listed is by no means the "only" stuff available.
But the level of experience is higher, as we progress we can add more and higher difficulty software.
I am willing to help anyone along this path that is taking it seriously, I know how valuable not having to do it alone is,
when I did it there was literally a couple people doing it so support was sparse and hard to find.
I will PM the couple that asked me for my VS settings as well, I did not forget about you expect a PM in a shot bit.
Stay frosty brothers and sisters ;)

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Should have added ReHIPS, AppGuard, Sandboxie and CFW :D
+1

Appguard, Sandboxie, ReHIps, and CFW is not that difficult to use/learn... learned Appguard with minimal assistance and I haven't joined any forums then.

Note that the "sig-free" term means there is no signature database on your system but some products still use signatures via their cloud.
+1

5 of the apps mentioned I consider sig-free...

D

Deleted member 178

Anti-exe/SRP are advanced users tools, means users have to understand (or at least research on the net) what the processes do.

Indeed.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017

you read my mind. i am a beginner at this & am already feeling a bit lost, kind of like alice in wonderland.

no worries, every time i am stuck i will keep bothering & pestering the " ghost " via conversations & i am sure he will oblige ;) :D

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Thanks for the list brother.....very much apreciated! I prefer vs over erp , because erp is to complicated for me. When my subscription for qihoo runs out , i wil venture out into the unknown sigfree territory , knowing that you are there as a guide to help overcome hurdles ;) respect brother @_CyberGhosT_

Daniel Keller

Level 2
Verified
Dec 28, 2016
Thank you very much for the excellent list.
Speaking about sig free configurations I would also suggest thinking about Windows built in tools / options like SRP. Of curse this is not an easy topic for beginners but it adds much to the security. There is also great support by advanced users like @Andy Ful. He created a great tool helping to setup SRP and harden Windows. The best is his great documentation. Read it and you learn and understand a lot more about SRP and windows security.

Check out Hard Configurator:
Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator

I love SRP and the "Hard Configurator" because it could be easily combined with any of the mentioned tools or AV products. You have nearly no impact on performance. And if configured correct you don't even notice it is there...

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks to my friends Dan and Helix I have been using VS way before it went public, and about a month into using it I settled on these settings. They work for "me" they may not be ideal for all users and if not feel free to play and tweak the settings to your liking, remember
if you get to know the product and become familiar with it you are more likely to stick with it, you won't break it so remember to create a restore or backup and feel free to tinker.
As promised here are my settings and like I said these have been my settings for VS for a number of years without change or deviation, so if they do work for you I am glad I could help.
@ispx
Your right and any of you feel free to PM me anytime with questions.
SS 1 is the "Basic" Tab SS 2 is the "Advanced" Tab
I have always employed these settings in "Smart" mode, it is the mode that works best for me.
VS_Settings_Basic.png

VS_Settings_Advanced.png

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I tried most of the mentioned software. Security solutions like: AppGuard, CFW, Hard_Configurator, NVT ERP, Sandboxie (paid), and VoodooShield, when used with an antivirus and home network under the router, provide a pretty similar level of protection. Of course, they apply different security techniques, and some configurations are more natural in the concrete program than in other programs. For example: one can make Sandboxie (paid) to work as an anti-exe, but It is simpler to use NVT ERP for this.
I can only say, that Hard_Configurator is not suited to work in enterprise networks. It works as a blocker/disabler + whitelist + application reputation service, and many vulnerable Windows features can be blocked/disabled safely on home computers or public networks, but it can hardly be done in enterprise networks (like with scripts, remote access services, etc.).

Edit.
I would like to add the excellent ShadowDefender program to the list.:)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.