Sig-Free And Where To Start

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
But the problem for user like me is that I won't be able to differentiate between good and malicious process. Might end up allowing everything.

ERP is good for command-line script monitoring (whitelisting) and for the ability to easily out and out block a process. Your dilemma is understandable, especially if you install a large amount of software.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
But the problem for user like me is that I won't be able to differentiate between good and malicious process. Might end up allowing everything.
When in doubt, just check it on Virus Total.
If it has a valid digital sig from the vendor you expected, IMO you don't even need to check any further.

By the way, as a general comment, NVT ERP is amazingly conflict-free.
HMPA, by contrast, has a history of software and hardware conflicts.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It's posted up there, post your settings for NVT for those that decide they like that better ?
Thanks shmu26 :)
Thanks to you for the great thread.
NVT ERP is an oldie but goodie, I am not actually using it in my present config, but when I do, I like the default settings. I am talking here about the default settings of the 2015 free beta version.
But sometimes rundll32 produces too many prompts, so I delete it from the vulnerable processes list, to gain some peace of mind, if I have other security apps to cover me.
@Umbra will surely hold me in utter disdain for such a boorish approach...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.