Siouxsiesue's config

Siouxsiesue

Thread author
Apr 24, 2012
Please advise me on improving the config especially bearing in mind the computer is mainly used by my teenage daughter who loves Facebook and playing online games - that may make it more a medium to high risk category!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well since your a beginner level it needs a knowledge when encountering malware/viruses so take it as a precautionary measures.

Well MSE is pretty good AV and applicable like you who were at beginner since its a install and forget.

Windows Firewall is fine but I recommend like PC Tools Firewall Plus or Zone Alarm Firewall at that stage to protect against hackers.

For On Demand Scanners which was your second opinion when your current AV did not detect the threats. You can add Hitman Pro. (Good to be a portable for scanning sessions)

When browsing on sites you are not sure especially shaded sites/unknown sites you need a virtualize software like Sandboxie or BufferZone Pro just choose one.

For Google Chrome it as "Phishing and Malware Protection" can help to detect the malicious website and files. For more secure extensions like WOT ( Web of Trust), LastPass (Password Manager) and Adblock Plus (Adblocker to block advertisement)

Also you can set it for something Limited User Account to avoid like disable some protection since it needs a full rights Administration.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Thats an alright config.

But I would swap Microsoft Security Essentials to Avast Anti Virus because it has a better detection rate and more features to make your computer safe.

Your On demand scanners are good, As jamescv7 said you should add Hitman Pro Note: Its not free but there is a trial and in my opinion, Its worth buying.

I would also add some backup Options:

Paragon Backup and Recovery Free (I currently use this one and its the only one that I used and Its pretty good)
Easeus Backup

Good Luck on removing Smart HDD!

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
See If you use Comodo Firewall with Defense Plus with MSE it is a good combo. WOT is pretty much useless try linkscanner or traffic light. Also you can try MSE+Online Armor. I have had problems with PCTools F/W so I dont recommend it. Best option is get AVAST/AVG with Online Armor or Comodo.

Beware if use AVAST dont use Outpost Firewall as it has some issues. Also AVAST+ Online Armor gave me some BSODS. Choose AVG +Online Armor. It is the best setup for beiners. For advanced go for AVAST+Comodo F/w with Defense+.

D

Deleted member 178

malbky said:
See If you use Comodo Firewall with Defense Plus with MSE it is a good combo. WOT is pretty much useless try linkscanner or traffic light. Also you can try MSE+Online Armor. I have had problems with PCTools F/W so I dont recommend it. Best option is get AVAST/AVG with Online Armor or Comodo.

Beware if use AVAST dont use Outpost Firewall as it has some issues. Also AVAST+ Online Armor gave me some BSODS. Choose AVG +Online Armor. It is the best setup for beiners. For advanced go for AVAST+Comodo F/w with Defense+.

The user is a beginner, so don't use any HIPS like Comodo or Online Armor ! please remind that what you like is not what people need ! Windows Firewall is enough, remind that they surely are behind a NAT router, and few hackers will feel the need to hack a teenager computer (unless they need a new piece in their botnet).

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Umbra Ooops I get he is a beginer. So I withdraw OA and Outpost. Use Comodo. Umbra i recently installed Comodo and its popups have gone down drastically so I am sure I beginer can use it. I myself would not use just Windows Firewall. For my clients i usaully get them an AV. Then again for relatives I give the license keys I have won to use on their pc. Umbra he has no choice in free security combination. The best recommendation then is choose ZoneAlarm as a firewall.

I just saw your a beginer, my best advice buy an internet security software Like Norton or Kaspersky. If you want your daugher protected use some parental control software. Parental controls come with Norton or Kaspersky. Just check Newegg if you are from USA, they have great deals.

Siouxsiesue

Thread author
Apr 24, 2012
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your replies - I really appreciate it.
I thought I'd stick with MSE but have downloaded Comodo as a firewall which seems ok to me. As yet haven't switched off the windows firewall and haven't any issues.
Will be looking into back-ups suggested next.

Many thanks
S.

PS I'm a 'she' and from the UK ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You'll get an update through Windows Updates that will upgrade MSE to version 4, so don't be alarmed if the GUI looks slightly different.

This update to Microsoft Security Essentials is part of the standard product update release cycle. This service update contains product enhancements to improve performance and user experience. We have improved on Microsoft Security Essentials’ Automatic Remediation, which will automatically quarantine highly harmful threats without prompting the user to take action as well as minor bug fixes in set up, malware remediation and other areas.
- Link

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Siouxsiesue said:
As yet haven't switched off the windows firewall and haven't any issues.

It's never a good idea to run more than one software firewall. I'd definitely disable the Windows firewall if you're running something else.

I

illumination

Siouxsiesue said:
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your replies - I really appreciate it.
I thought I'd stick with MSE but have downloaded Comodo as a firewall which seems ok to me. As yet haven't switched off the windows firewall and haven't any issues.
Will be looking into back-ups suggested next.

Many thanks
S.

PS I'm a 'she' and from the UK ;)

Hello Siouxsiesue, if you have downloaded Comodo firewall, then it automatically disables windows firewall for you. You can leave it at default setting's for the most part and be plenty secure with it. I would advise one thing to change in settings, and that is in the firewall tab on top of suite, click the "stealth Ports Wizard, and chose "Block all incoming connections and make my ports stealth for everyone". MSE with Comodo firewall, and the on demands you have and a few of the plugins suggested by other members should keep you good to go, although Comodo firewall is a complex piece of software, and can throw up alerts that may leave you stumped.

I do agree with umbrapolaris, being a beginner, you would be better off sticking with windows firewall.. If the object is to stick with "freeware", any of the above combinations will work, some are more advanced then others and require a decent learning curve.

D

Deleted member 178

The problem for beginners with Comodo, are the numerous pop-ups that shows obscure (for beginners) description of the event happening.

For example, the auto-sandbox may show a notification telling your favorite soft is sandboxed, but that soft need some privilege to run properly that the sandbox deny to give to it, 99% of beginners will wonder why their softs don't run...since they read that the sandbox allow softs to be run safely...

Another case, you run an executable file (.exe) that you get from a trusted friend, your "trusted friend" doesn't know that he just gave you a naughty new malware not yet referenced by Comodo, CIS Defense+ shows a popup alert...what 99% of the beginners will do? they will allow it (since they don't understand the alert) because they trusted their friend.
The opposite may be true too, you have a new legit soft not referenced as safe by comodo, popups shows up, you believe in CIS and block it because the popup made you doubt about it...

HIPS are definitely not for any beginners even if Comodo added options that reduce the numbers of alerts. if you can manage all Comodo pop-ups , you are not a beginner anymore.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Fully agreed, it really needs an assistant to guide on using any HIPS application thus the importance may become useless since all pop ups will just dismissed in allow operation either its safe or not.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Then Umbra for a total beginer the best idea is to buy a inter net security software. Even if Comodo is not there the protection offered is the same if not worse. At least if comodo is there something gets caught.

Ooops did not note you were a female and were from UK. Try some shops there for an Internet Security suite. IF you are able to manage with comodo stick with it.

D

Deleted member 178

When i install a solution on my friends/customers computers, i generally set these combos.

Avast or Panda Cloud (depending their knowledge) + Windows Firewall (or Zone Alarm on XP systems)

if they want a paid suite, i recommend them NIS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.