NVIDIA 540M 2GB

Done so far:
CCleaner
Antivirus (CIS)
Emsisoft AM
Defragmentation
Updated drivers..

I used to have wow on ultra without any problems
used to play css with 200FPS, now 80 but not stable at all.. Just random drops...
I can't #####ing even not play CS1.6 with 100FPS?

I am getting tired of this :) Any help?
What more to do?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Have you applied any recent updates to Windows or other software?

Do you use 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, because Enhanced Protection in CIS is, I believe, aimed for 64-bit. I may be wrong though.

Upvote 0

Devial

Thread author
Mar 6, 2011
I am using 64 Bit Windows 7, enhanced protection is off.
Nope, no recently added windows updates besides security updates.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

EAM can slowdown some systems did you tried uninstalling it? btw, check your hard drive, maybe it get old.

Upvote 0
E

Exorcizm

It could be startup programs, it could be corruption, it could be in need of a reinstallation of windows if its a very old installation, sometimes these things just happen.

Open run command and type "msconfig" and open it
then navigate to the startup tab
uncheck any items you would prefer not to start up

navigate to C:\Windows\Temp
and C:\Windows\Prefetch

and clear everything in those folders

What do you have running in your system tray?

Would it be unreasonable for me to say that perhaps your Hard Drive could be dying? thats generally the symptoms your experiencing when a hard drive is soon to fail, but not necessarily always the case, and can just be a messed computer!

Get back to me ASAP so i can help! haha

Regards
-Josh

Upvote 0

Devial

Thread author
Mar 6, 2011
I have done that now :) Going to test if it have helped :)

msconfig: Only necessary programs and drivers
system tray: same :D

hope not! :D The laptop is only 4 months old :D

Upvote 0
E

Exorcizm

Devial said:
I have done that now :) Going to test if it have helped :)

msconfig: Only necessary programs and drivers
system tray: same :D

hope not! :D The laptop is only 4 months old :D

Haha! Let us know how you go!

If worse comes to worse you can always partition your HDD so you have like a 2nd 30GB parition, and reinstall windows and see if its much faster, and if so that would tell us that its definately the installation or a program effecting it!

:) But first let us know how you go with what i've said :)

Cheers!
- Josh

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Try running the SFC /SCANNOW Command for windows...

(In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.)

To Only Verify if the System Files are Corrupted...

(In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /verifyonly and press Enter.)

Upvote 0
E

Exorcizm

thewolfsmith72 said:

Damn it, that was going to be my next step :p

But i don't think that would make Windows 'slower and slower'

I guess we'll find out :)

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Exorcizm said:
thewolfsmith72 said:

Damn it, that was going to be my next step :p

But i don't think that would make Windows 'slower and slower'

I guess we'll find out :)

Had to throw it in there, seen that you are quick ;) J/K Anyway, have seen a few instances where corrupt files have caused a slow down on various systems, may be wrong with this problem, but worth a try :D

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Exorcizm said:
There's no wrong answer there :) Whatever you can try, you try :D!!!

Agree 100% :D You have to make a check list, and narrow it down.
A system slowdown is almost always due to unnecessary software booting with Windows, a virus, a damaged/aged HD, conflicting software or a memory leak somewhere (usually an older or out-of-date program) or corrupt system files... Most of which have already been mentioned in the post before i read it.

Upvote 0
E

Exorcizm

thewolfsmith72 said:
Exorcizm said:
There's no wrong answer there :) Whatever you can try, you try :D!!!

Agree 100% :D You have to make a check list, and narrow it down.
A system slowdown is almost always due to unnecessary software booting with Windows, a virus, a damaged/aged HD, conflicting software or a memory leak somewhere (usually an older or out-of-date program) or corrupt system files... Most of which have already been mentioned in the post before i read it.

Indeed! haha

Thumbs up to you for showing you have good knowledge! :)

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Devial said:
Well... i formated windows... still messes up? :/
- It used to work well...

After you reformatted did the problem start right away, or after you started to put updates and programs back on?

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Devial said:

I recommend, do a complete format.
Don't install any security products period.
Run Windows Updates, reboot then keep running Windows Updates until system is completely patched, may require several reboots and checks.
Run your system for about a week and see if the problem still exists.
If the problems exists, then you have some hardware components failing.

1. Check to see if the inside of the case has any kind of dust, particles or hair blocking the system fans or air vents. Make sure all fans are working correctly.
Use can air to blow out the case and a small soft brush to remove what the can air doesn't remove. Check and clean especially the processor heat sink and fan.

2. Run a memory test to make sure you don't have burn out sections in your RAM.
(sometimes your RAM might still appear to be alright, but with just one little sector not functioning will make a system crawl.) Replacing new RAM could solve the problem.

3. Another problem that is possible is a failing hard drive, there really isn't any accurate tests that will detect all issues, but trying a different hard drive might solve the problem. If that works then you will know that your hard drive is bad.

4. Video cards, if you are using a video (graphic) card that is not integrated into your motherboard, it could cause hardware compatibility problems making your system run slow.

5. Faulty processor (CPU), this is the worst senora since most of the time you can buy a new complete system for about the same price.

Good Luck.:D

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Littlebits said:
Devial said:

I recommend, do a complete format.
Don't install any security products period.
Run Windows Updates, reboot then keep running Windows Updates until system is completely patched, may require several reboots and checks.
Run your system for about a week and see if the problem still exists.
If the problems exists, then you have some hardware components failing.

1. Check to see if the inside of the case has any kind of dust, particles or hair blocking the system fans or air vents. Make sure all fans are working correctly.
Use can air to blow out the case and a small soft brush to remove what the can air doesn't remove. Check and clean especially the processor heat sink and fan.

2. Run a memory test to make sure you don't have burn out sections in your RAM.
(sometimes your RAM might still appear to be alright, but with just one little sector not functioning will make a system crawl.) Replacing new RAM could solve the problem.

3. Another problem that is possible is a failing hard drive, there really isn't any accurate tests that will detect all issues, but trying a different hard drive might solve the problem. If that works then you will know that your hard drive is bad.

4. Video cards, if you are using a video (graphic) card that is not integrated into your motherboard, it could cause hardware compatibility problems making your system run slow.

5. Faulty processor (CPU), this is the worst senora since most of the time you can buy a new complete system for about the same price.

Good Luck.:D

This is good advice and should be followed.. I had asked if he had the problem after the reformat, as i was curious if it was a hardware issue, or conflicting software..

Upvote 0

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
It's probably conflicting software since the OP said that his machine is pretty new although a look inside the machine can also help.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

BoXX28 said:
It's probably conflicting software since the OP said that his machine is pretty new although a look inside the machine can also help.

Im thinking that is possibly quite right! I was waiting for his response, to see what type of "reformat" was done whether it was a reset back to factory settings, was it a full wipe of the hard drive, or just reinstalling the OS while keeping programs and files intact, if it was a full reformat, at what stage after he had it back up and going did he notice the problem again, as all these factors would help narrow down the problem.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.