Slypheed email--anyone have experience with this program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
This is a Japanese program available in English.

sylpheed2-mainwindow.png

sylpheed2-win32-xp.png

sylpheed2-win32-classic.png

sylpheed2-compose.png

sylpheed2-commonprefs-message.png

sylpheed2-account-prefs.png

sylpheed2-filterdialog.png

sylpheed2-filter-edit.png

sylpheed2-search.png

I need to get out of Outlook Express. I'm thinking about Thunderbird, but I just ran across this on Major Geeks. It's supposed to be similar to Outlook Express, which is what I like and am accustomed to. I definitely want to go with an independent application rather than view webmail in a browser.

W

Wave

I've never heard of it before however I personally wouldn't trust it; although I would trust Thunderbird since it's well-known and very popular. E-mails are also a sensitive topic since they may contain confidential/personal information, therefore if I was using a software client to send/receive I would need to trust it a lot, therefore I stick to web-mail in the browser usually.

I recommend you just try out Thunderbird to be completely honest with you, you'll most likely prefer it to Outlook anyway. But at the end of the day, pick whichever client you feel comfortable with using... If you trust this software enough and feel comfortable using it then why not? :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@conceptualclarity

"Less secure" isn't meant to say that apps that use your credentials are necessarily full of security holes or run by criminals. Rather, it is the category of behavior -- giving your credentials to a third party -- that is fundamentally less secure than using an authorization mechanism like OAuth. With authorization, you never allow the third party to see your credentials, so an entire category of problems are instantly eliminated. [)quot]

Source

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi conceptualclarity!:) Although I've only heard of Slypheed by name, your images of Slypheed email made me pine nostalgically for those days I used to compose emails offline back when we relied upon dial-up!:rolleyes:;)

Have you heard of SeaMonkey?o_O It provides a mail program included in their Application Suite of which I've used & liked their Mozilla sourced browser after I'd viewed it often in cruelsister's amazing videos!
I think it might be to your liking too!:cool:

Here are some excerpts from their site:

"SeaMonkey has inherited the successful all-in-one concept of the original Netscape Communicator and continues that product line based on the modern, cross-platform architecture provided by the Mozilla project.
  • SeaMonkey's Mail and Newsgroups client shares lots of code with Mozilla Thunderbird and features adaptive Junk mail filtering, tags and mail views, web feeds reading, tabbed messaging, multiple accounts, S/MIME, address books with LDAP support and is ready for both private and corporate use."
Source - The SeaMonkey® Project

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Sylpheed is a trustworthy program, open source and used as standard mail client in a few linux distros. One benefit is that it has a really good spam filter. So if you don´t mind about the GUI you can try it easily as it has a portable app. Sylpheed Portable | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

Thank you, vinylmeister. I don't care about the beauty of the GUI as long as it's functional and coherent. It's good that it has a quality spam filter. I hope it's not over-aggressive, because I've had problems with that. My ISP's spam filter is a turkey that lets all the "You've won a lottery that you didn't enter" emails through but traps many dozens of legitimate emails that I want to see.

Hi conceptualclarity!:) Although I've only heard of Slypheed by name, your images of Slypheed email made me pine nostalgically for those days I used to compose emails offline back when we relied upon dial-up!:rolleyes:;)

Have you heard of SeaMonkey?o_O It provides a mail program included in their Application Suite of which I've used & liked their Mozilla sourced browser after I'd viewed it often in cruelsister's amazing videos!
I think it might be to your liking too!:cool:

Here are some excerpts from their site:

"SeaMonkey has inherited the successful all-in-one concept of the original Netscape Communicator and continues that product line based on the modern, cross-platform architecture provided by the Mozilla project.
  • SeaMonkey's Mail and Newsgroups client shares lots of code with Mozilla Thunderbird and features adaptive Junk mail filtering, tags and mail views, web feeds reading, tabbed messaging, multiple accounts, S/MIME, address books with LDAP support and is ready for both private and corporate use."
Source - The SeaMonkey® Project

Thank you, Cats-4_Owners-2. I was vaguely aware of Sea Monkey email. Is it as good as Thunderbird? I perceive Sea Monkey the browser is a kind of inferior stepchild for Mozilla. But I'm open to hearing of the virtues of the SeaMonkey programs.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you, vinylmeister. I don't care about the beauty of the GUI as long as it's functional and coherent. It's good that it has a quality spam filter. I hope it's not over-aggressive, because I've had problems with that. My ISP's spam filter is a turkey that lets all the "You've won a lottery that you didn't enter" emails through but traps many dozens of legitimate emails that I want to see.

Thank you, Cats-4_Owners-2. I was vaguely aware of Sea Monkey email. Is it as good as Thunderbird? I perceive Sea Monkey the browser is a kind of inferior stepchild for Mozilla. But I'm open to hearing of the virtues of the SeaMonkey programs.
You're welcome.:)

I agree, and actually find the retro GUIs to be pleasant and, as you'd pointed out, even more so when everything works and one can make heads or tails of what works.
*Laughing* @"You've won a lottery you didn't enter"!!:p:D

"..a kind of inferior stepchild of Mozilla"
tickled my ribs a lot too, lol!!!:p:D:D

If you have ever used Netscape, back in the days when it was the kinder step father to Firefox, I'm sure you'll like the functional "hands on" feel of Sea Monkey as I've not run into such familiar, and personally frustrating, let downs many of the other more popularly embraced browsers have served up. Give it a spin.
I think I shall try my own "hands on" test drive with Sea Monkey Mail! From what I've read, it's said to be very comparable to Thunderbird. I will try Sylpheed as well. So, down the road & into the future we may be able to compare notes.;)

Lastly (& blatently off topic) isn't it irresistibly funny to note the contrasting names Thunderbird & Firefox, both of which are very predatory symbols to that of "SeaMonkey":rolleyes: which denotes the rather miniscule yet noble & countless brine shrimp, food to:eek: hungry fish the world over!?o_O:)
Could it be that it's what they do so well?:p

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I think I shall try my own "hands on" test drive with Sea Monkey Mail! From what I've read, it's said to be very comparable to Thunderbird. I will try Sylpheed as well. So, down the road & into the future we may be able to compare notes.;)

Thanks. Please come back here and tell us what you found.

Lastly (& blatently off topic) isn't it irresistibly funny to note the contrasting names Thunderbird & Firefox, both of which are very predatory symbols to that of "SeaMonkey":rolleyes: which denotes the rather miniscule yet noble & countless brine shrimp, food to:eek: hungry fish the world over!?o_O:)

Didn't know that's what a sea monkey was, or indeed if there was any such thing as a sea monkey.:) Shrimp is wonderful fried.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.