Advice Request Small form factor budget 50TB+ Server

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Need a good case for mini itx mother board not larger to fit a server with 8 bay of 3.5 drives preferably to meet a low budget .
Basically any cheaper alternative to DS380B case featured in

Unfortunately too early to set other parts or even budget anyway probably value is a better alternative for the time being.
Most parts except case would be bought upon black Friday sales except a few parts like PSU / case wich would be bought locally (Israel).

Last edited:

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
Hello @Vitali Ortzi

it really depends on Budget and if it is for production (Is it for pure Storage or Database or Hybrid use) or home use coz HDDs can get very expensive and the Hardware too... ;)

Are the 10 TB Capacity Netto (After Raid) or Brutto (With Raid).

Best regards
Val.

P.S. if its for Private use here is a case -> Supermicro Superchassis Mini-Tower -> SC721TQ-250B | Mini-tower | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Hello @Vitali Ortzi

it really depends on Budget and if it is for production (Is it for pure Storage or Database or Hybrid use) or home use coz HDDs can get very expensive and the Hardware too... ;)

Are the 10 TB Capacity Netto (After Raid) or Brutto (With Raid).

Best regards
Val.

P.S. if its for Private use here is a case -> Supermicro Superchassis Mini-Tower -> SC721TQ-250B | Mini-tower | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.
Thanks so much I will look into it .
And yeah HDDs aren't cheap but have better pricing then ssds but power consumption is higher compared with pretty much any SSD.
And usage won't be home use only even though mostly like storing a heap of documents but yeah large SQL databases and other more demanding workload might be used in this machine but not certain at this point of time if it's worth as a multi purpose since it might cause serious bottlenecks .

Anyway do you know if any consumer ryzen boards have ECC support or an unlocked / moded bios to support it ? (I prefer ryzen for power efficiency especially when underclocked compared with an Intel counterpart)

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
I am looking at this box for a smaller unRAID build, Case.

If you are building a NAS, or file server of sorts I would fully recommend unRAID.
Sure, you have to pay a one time license, witch by the way is very cheap, see their homepage.
The biggest benefit with unRAID is that you can use different HDD:s, brand and sizes.
You have endless choises in what you can use it for, again see their homepage.
I have been running unRAID for almost eight years now, and will never look back at regular NAS software again.

/W

• +Reputation
Reactions: Vitali Ortzi

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I am looking at this box for a smaller unRAID build, Case.

If you are building a NAS, or file server of sorts I would fully recommend unRAID.
Sure, you have to pay a one time license, witch by the way is very cheap, see their homepage.
The biggest benefit with unRAID is that you can use different HDD:s, brand and sizes.
You have endless choises in what you can use it for, again see their homepage.
I have been running unRAID for almost eight years now, and will never look back at regular NAS software again.

/W
Yeah I was planning using the popular unRAID or something similar .
About the case does the 6 bay support 3.5 inch or just 2.5 like laptop HDDs wich are more expansive and come in smaller sizes?

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
Hello @Vitali Ortzi

I have no experience with unRaid. But as much as I know what it is - Is to make a Server / PC into multiple Server / PCs. Coz of the direct access to HW resources without a translation layer.

On all Raids you can use different drives but it means more workload for the Raid Controller.

Example:
100GB + 200GB Raid x (0,1) = 100GB = 100GB and the rest is waisted 100GB gone - Coz Raid resizes itself to the smallest drive.

Now if you setup Raid Groups that is a different Story:
100GB + 100GB = OK (Raid 0,1) on Bay 0 and 1
250GB + 250GB +250GB = OK (Raid 5) on Bay 2, 3 and 4

The other part is Performance - With a good Raid Controller you can use multiple Raid Groups with no issue and workload independent. But if you use a Software Raid there are allot of things to consider. Link -> Difference Between Hardware RAID and Software RAID | Difference Between

The Case Supports 3,5 and with an adapter (is a Option) can convert it to 2,5 - It is all in the technical specs. :D

Sincerely
Val.

Reactions: Vitali Ortzi

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Yeah I was planning using the popular unRAID or something similar .
About the case does the 6 bay support 3.5 inch or just 2.5 like laptop HDDs wich are more expansive and come in smaller sizes?

As our friend valvaris posted above the case does take 6 x 3.5 inch + 2 expansion slots (not sure if that means 2 more 3.5 inch.)
If you decide to go for unraid, my advice is to go for an enterprise disk as the parity drive, this is the drive that protects the whole array containing the data.

/W

• Thanks
Reactions: valvaris

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.