Advice Request Some new PCs running Windows 7 and 8.1 won't receive further updates

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Some new PCs running Windows 7 and 8.1 won't receive further updates

Ed Bott of ZDNet reports that users who tried to install the latest security updates on newer PCs running older versions of Windows were greeted with the following error:

Unsupported Hardware

Your PC uses a processor that isn't supported on this version of Windows and you won't receive updates.

It's worth noting that the move, while controversial, isn't exactly out of the blue. Microsoft had explicitly cautioned that new PCs sporting Intel's seventh generation Kabylake and AMD's Bristol Ridge processors would require Windows 10 in order to receive future updates. In August 2016, the company stated that:

Going forward, as new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support... Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel's upcoming "Kaby Lake" silicon, Qualcomm's upcoming "8996" silicon, and AMD's upcoming "Bristol Ridge" silicon.

That said, supported Skylake-based systems will be able to utilize Windows 7 and 8.1 throughout the extended support period for the two operating systems, which ends on January 14, 2020 and January 10, 2023 respectively.

Moving forward, while it may be possible to forcibly update older versions of Windows, it's clear that Microsoft wants its customers to upgrade to Windows 10. Businesses with Windows Enterprise licenses with Software Assurance as well as those with KabyLake systems can upgrade to Microsoft's latest operating system without any additional cost.

Source: ZDNet

Anker_by

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2015
About this, They have to do something for forcing customers upgrade version windows 10, the part of this is bad for enthusiast community...(benchmarking etc...)

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Did people actually expect Microsoft to support Windows 7 for 10 more years like XP?

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If this is purely a marketing move to get more people to upgrade to Windows 10 then I can't help but feel contempt at Microsoft for this. They're putting their customers at risk because they chose an operation system that Microsoft deems not good enough over what the consumer wants to use is frankly disgusting.

If it is an actual incompatibility then I guess there's nothing Microsoft can do, but I as a consumer would be pretty angry if I built a new PC and then was told it's unsupported due to my choice of OS or CPU.

They want to increase Windows 10 users :)), soon also all other users of windows 7 won't receive updates.
Windows 7 stops receiving security updates on January 14 2020.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Did people actually expect Microsoft to support Windows 7 for 10 more years like XP?
No, but if they said they're going to support Windows 7 until 2020. and Windows 8.1 until 2023., they should stick to that. Windows 8.1 still has mainstream support until 2018. After all, they chose the support dates, not users.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would imagine offering another free upgrade would get more people to switch even though it can still be legitimately done.
Personally I might consider moving to a MAC,as much as I hate to say it, if I was still tied to 7 or 8.1 and didn't want to upgrade to 10.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I would imagine offering another free upgrade would get more people to switch even though it can still be done.
Personally I might consider moving to a MAC,as much as I hate to say it, if I was still tied to 7 or 8.1 and didn't want to upgrade to 10.
If they offered another free upgrade and didn't run it like an adware-style campaign this time I might actually consider upgrading. The problem is I have no experience with 8, 8.1 or 10 and having to get to grips with it would annoy. Saying that, I'm going to have to upgrade in 2020 anyway so better now than then some would say.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
There are numerous reasons why people don't want to upgrade to Windows 10. Those are probably the same reasons why people are coming back to Windows 7 and 8.1. Simply said, people don't want ads, bugs and tracking in OS. Just check out what people are saying on Reddit.

When Windows 7 support ends completely in 2020., I'll upgrade to Windows 8.1.

Reactions: Anker_by

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Next time i think i will reinstall my Windows 8.1, Windows 10 i disable the updates ..
You can still upgrade to Windows 10 legitimately by using a Windows 7 or 8.1 license for one, Assistive upgrade for another.
You can also keep using Windows 10 without a product key with some limitations to the OS but there are legitimate workarounds.
Whether or not Microsoft has left these in place I do not know. However anything else is illegal and considered piracy.
We frown on posting piracy methods,alluding to and or suggesting these methods and for those reasons posts containig such will be edited or deleted.

Shadowave

Level 10
Verified
Aug 10, 2012
I would imagine offering another free upgrade would get more people to switch even though it can still be legitimately done.
I'm using also windows 7 Ultimate and windows 10 on dual boot, but I use windows 7 on everyday work. Linux will be the next primary system.

Anker_by

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2015
You can still upgrade to Windows 10 legitimately by using a Windows 7 or 8.1 license for one, Assistive upgrade for another.
You can also keep using Windows 10 without a product key with some limitations to the OS but there are legitimate workarounds.
Whether or not Microsoft has left these in place I do not know. However anything else is illegal and considered piracy.
We frown on posting piracy methods,alluding to and or suggesting these methods and for those reasons posts containig such will be edited or deleted.
I apologize , totally forget.

Reactions: Exterminator

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Expect that typical move, remember there are hit and miss on that part.

However not all users would have a high specification of computer considering the price and task to be taken; so unfortunately a person should migrate for the benefit of a doubt if willing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.