Serious Discussion Someone needs to talk me out of buying a McAffee lic

I used McAfee and K together for over a week and had no blue screens, no crashes and no slowdowns. The 2 Avs were dating and kissing all the time and at no time did they fight each other even when they detected a maiden. :)
Wait for it...wait for it.... 😂

train wreck.gif
 
Except its hard to value your personal data such as family photos, music, tax returns etc.
I have very few family photos, as long as they are OK, I won't miss my family. My dad has recently passed away, but I still see him clearly in my mind - always 40 yrs old it seems. Music collection is nowadays replaced by Spotify - $11/month, VAST library of different genre's and era's', unlimited playback, bookmarks of favorite songs. As for taxes, as long as you don't owe the taxman any dollars they won't bother you.

Plus backups is a security protection, cheap, easy to do, just need the discipline. And discipline is an administrative security control.
 
Please re-phrase that - I don't understand what you are saying.
i.e. cutting costs?
The Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE)[a] is an initiative by the second Trump administration within the federal government of the United States. Its stated objective is to modernize information technology, maximize productivity,[4] and cut excess regulations and spending.[5] It emerged from discussions between Donald Trump and Elon Musk in 2024,[6] and was officially established by an executive order on January 20, 2025.

Which is a bit of an oxymoron, Government and efficiency? 😂
 
Please re-phrase that - I don't understand what you are saying.
i.e. cutting costs?


Which is a bit of an oxymoron, Government and efficiency? 😂
I believe @cartaphilus was joking. His wife DODGE'd, meaning cut, the household budget. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Indeed, DOGE is an oxymoron, since it's supposed to be about efficiency, "waste, fraud and abuse", etc, and is anything but. It's slash and burn the government. :LOL: But we're off topic and heading into forum restrictions. :LOL:
 
@ Johnny Quest
I used McAfee and K together for over a week and had no blue screens, no crashes and no slowdowns. The 2 Avs were dating and kissing all the time and at no time did they fight each other even when they detected a maiden. :)
Gasp: You are dicing with the unknown & you could create a time paradox, the result of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's worst-case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy - so beware? :p
 
DOGE = Dept of Government Efficiency. Got it.

While you may come up with a whopping big evaluation of the value of your data, the CFO says you are just spending money, not making money. Your budget will be cut down because you are not product development dept. You Have to come up with the cheapest method to accomplish the safe guard of your critical and confidential data.

To that I would suggest looking at cutting your budget on blacklisting technologies ( he already has some pricey ones) and invest in whitelisting technologies. If you want ease of use, there is CyberLock; which is a whitelisting, default deny, anti-exe. It will kill anything foreign to your PC. If you want free + more labor intensive, there is MS WDAC. You use MS's powershell commands, or use the free WDAC Wizard. Same default deny and whitelisting. One has to realize the importance of white listing - anything foreign to the PC will be stopped, and that means no malware forever. Which is the whole point in this anti-malware game. So you don't have to evaluate which AV has better detection. So about the labor intensive part of whitelisting; you have add to the whitelist every time you install something new. CyberLock consults its whitelist cloud and decides with you. WDAC has it's ISG which does more or less the same, but ISG is optional. So with WDAC you can be really really strict. The technology is up to date. CyberLock can evaluate fileless attacks and stop LoLBins. WDAC can evaluate scripts too. Besides CyberLock, there is AppGuard Solo but it costs eighty-something, whereas CyberLock costs only thirty and MS WDAC + WDAC Wizard is free. There is also the enterprise tool AirLock Digital.

Some may think MS WDAC is enterprise oriented, but I wouldn't let that stop you from adopting it. Banks use it, and they haven't been pwned, so why shouldn't you. After all, that's what we aim for, right? The powershell bit maybe a tad technical, but there is MS open sourced WDAC Wizard, which is a GUI undergoing active development. When you use WDAC Wizard, you don't have to touch powershell.

Some of you may not trust MS tech that much. After all, their Defender was a loser product for some time. But they persisted and now it is on par. They recently renamed WDAC to Application Control but didn't really change anything. And the way I see it since they've updated the push on it, it remains viable tech, even though it is 10 yrs old. The product is based on solid grounding.
 
Last edited:
I have very few family photos, as long as they are OK, I won't miss my family. My dad has recently passed away, but I still see him clearly in my mind - always 40 yrs old it seems. Music collection is nowadays replaced by Spotify - $11/month, VAST library of different genre's and era's', unlimited playback, bookmarks of favorite songs. As for taxes, as long as you don't owe the taxman any dollars they won't bother you.

Plus backups is a security protection, cheap, easy to do, just need the discipline. And discipline is an administrative security control.
Yes but everyone isn't you, many have thousands of family photos, don't use Spotify and have thousands of documents including tax returns.My questions still stands, how can you put a price on these?
 
Last edited:
Yes but everyone isn't you, many have thousands of family photos, don't use Spotify and have thousands of documents including tax returns.My questions still stands, how can you put a price on these?
It's past midnight and you are alive again :) No I can't put a price on something that I don't know. The formula still stands, if you put something as 'pricelessly important', then you do your utmost to protect it. But many things have a value to which a price can be affixed. And in an extremely capitalist way of thinking, anything that cannot earn money is useless, as are your family photos. You will mourn the loss of them in a house fire, but it doesn't deprive you of earning a profit/income, and life goes on. ( just to be argumentative, of course there are things that I care about. 🥰
 
Last edited:
Automatic renewal cost: £95.99 for essential
basically you buy license from kinguin , g2a, eneba/ whatever site you want from for cheap. Then enter license, you can stack them too but never ever connect any billing details to account youre using. But i get your point about auto renews, wich are awful thing to exist
 
Establish a budget for security protection: probably via the criticality and confidentiality of your data. If protection costs exceed value of your data, then don't spend more money on it. Consider all the forms of value though, the time it took to develop the data (hourly pay rate * number of days), the worth of your data to competitors, the reputation loss you would incur if your lose the data (future loss of income), the inconvenience to daily operations if you lose the data. And I must have omitted some. :)

This line of thinking encourages you to think as a business, and so you should. Everything in life has a cost or value. You have to justify your spending, in numbers.
I am not interested one jot what anyone feels I should spend on protecting my data, I have many thousands of photographs (923 GIG) that are without doubt my most precious possession, videos of my four children growing up & much more - I have ripped HQ music that is not on any music streamer & never will be, therefore I back up on 5 external drives - That's my way & will remain so, I have another drive will most on not at my address :p
 
Last edited:
I haven't had anything to exclude yet, am I doing something wrong? :eek:
No you're fine. I just use some apps which some antiviruses classify as PUPs and quarantine, as well as large collection of installers for apps, some of which are PUPs. If you're using not using any software that McAfee quarantines, but you want to restore it and keep using it, this won't be an issue. Some antiviruses, give you the option to add exclusions for files when you restore them from quarantine, so they don't get automatically quarantined again.
 
Last edited:
I used McAfee and K together for over a week and had no blue screens, no crashes and no slowdowns. The 2 Avs were dating and kissing all the time and at no time did they fight each other even when they detected a maiden. :)
Jokes aside, it is not recommended and just makes no common sense to run 2 AV's at the same time. Just stick to one, and augment with the likes of Smart App Control (SAC), or Windows Hybrid Hardening (WHH).
 
A friend of mine wanted McAfee & I got him a cheap but yet another incarnation of McAfee 'AntiVirus Plus' How many versions of this product are there? It does seem similar to Essential & Internet Security???
They've largely phased out AntiVirus Plus in favor of Total Protection and, of course, heavy promotion of the identity protection packages. Different regions might vary, though, and when you're shopping for licenses you're likely still to see some of the old product names.
 
There's a voice deep down inside my head that, anytime I want to buy a cheap security software, reminds me of how many packs of Coca-Cola Zero I could buy with that. You'll never see me stacking licenses :ROFLMAO:

I've found peace and comfort on Kaspersky Standard. Gives me everything I need in a security software, and Application Control handles the white-list approach of apps management. That feeling of tranquility I find nowhere else. I suggest you find an antivirus solution that gives you that too. Then you'll have no more need to stack licenses just in case you wanna change solutions, even less stack software in the same system. After all that, it's just common sense and safe browsing habits :)
 
Jokes aside, it is not recommended and just makes no common sense to run 2 AV's at the same time. Just stick to one, and augment with the likes of Smart App Control (SAC), or Windows Hybrid Hardening (WHH).
Yes, it's true, it makes no sense. I installed McAfee alongside K just out of curiosity, just to see the circus catch fire, literally speaking. Since I've never seen a blue screen on Windows 11 or crashes, I wanted to see what would happen with two AVs together. Although the two AVs worked together without any problems for over a week, it could still compromise security and end up nullifying protection sooner or later. Now I've gone back to McAfee and Kaspersky and installed them on my laptop. I don't recommend anyone do this, installing two AVs at the same time. This is a forum dedicated to security, so it would be a bit ironic for me to give this kind of advice, so I don't recommend doing it. (y)
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top