Advice Request Someone tested Surfshark AV yet ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Fresh samples? Malwarehub right here on this forum! Scroll down and apply for access. Not sure why you would trust an av from a vpn company, it's just an added extra so they can charge a few dollars more per subscription. It's got to be using either Bitdefender's or Avira's engine/detections.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
If you trust a company with your privacy for $3 a month you may as well trust them with your security for an extra $2.99 extra a month. Does it matter if it is rubbish? Not to anyone who would buy that av subscription, money is tight, and budgets are stretched so you can understand why people would buy the av from them if it saves them a few dollars over a year or two.

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Fresh samples? Malwarehub right here on this forum! Scroll down and apply for access. Not sure why you would trust an av from a vpn company, it's just an added extra so they can charge a few dollars more per subscription. It's got to be using either Bitdefender's or Avira's engine/detections.
Never said I trust it, I want to test it / see the results if someone tested it :p Huge difference.
also, it's Avira SDK as much as I know ( last I checked like half a year ago ). , ty ill try the malware hub otherwise I might dig up old sources where I got my live malware a few years ago from.
Why you want it that's not a good AV?
also, never said I want it nor use it ( offtopic ) also on which basis do you rate it "not good" ( i mean it very likely sucks but that's Simply an assumption from me you make it sound like you tested it )? see, that's the issue if you have no third-party/unpaid tests then people throw around "assumptions" which look like facts which are plain bad and at the same level as "bad mouthing", do a test and it fails? bad mouth it, if not, don't.
it's really that simple and neutral.
the only test that I know of that exists is the one Surfshark paid for sadly.
If you trust a company with your privacy for $3 a month you may as well trust them with your security for an extra $2.99 extra a month. Does it matter if it is rubbish? Not to anyone who would buy that av subscription, money is tight, and budgets are stretched so you can understand why people would buy the av from them if it saves them a few dollars over a year or two.
Off-topic comments :/
the question is really straightforward and easy ... I didn't ask for an Evaluation of trust levels or buyers' advice...
Check my other Threads my stance regarding Surfshark is pretty clear.

Nonetheless, Testing is an important part especially ones which aren't paid for by huge companies like Surfshark paid for a test that claims "100% protection" https://www.virusbulletin.com/uploa...est-report-2022-10-24-surfshark-antivirus.pdf

Last edited:

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
I made a quick and very rough test.
5700~ files (unpacked 71k files ) Roughly 70% 2 hours old everything mixed from ransomware to viruses , malware , adware , and joke viruses some safe files.
NPE detected 900~
EKK detected 840~
Surfshark detected 150~ on right click scan
Panda cloud Scan detected 160~
Surfshark detected with Real time protection on opening of the malware folder 3 files ( of 5700~ files ).
After running my Batchfile to execute every single file in the malware folder Surfshark detected another 13 files but couldnt keep up .
after 266 Executed files the VM was Barely working anymore with 20gb RAM usage , 10 cores fully loaded , and 64gb commit used, uncountable foreign processes spawned and more.
Multiple Joke viruses Wreaking havoc and spawning "fire places" and more on the screen , atleast 40 processes look like ransomware which are encrypting the OS and more.
5 min in , my Taskmanager was killed , Explorer was seemingly replaced , my Taskbar suddenly got a Christmas skin , and on the bottom right there was a Fire place decorated for christma nice.
6 min , seems my batch file found the joke virus folder , Bonzy buddy is moving around my screen and "eating files" Surfshark still on 13 Detections.
8min , Awesome a Virus just sped up my VM ! ( it literarily killed 90% of other processes and started to do stuff ) also my Taskbar looks now like the vista one for some reason ( this is on win 10 )
minute 9, "Free windows Registry repair" and a Background Ransomware fighting for the Foreground process Free windows registry repair stating the setup isnt finished yet
Surfshark AV still only Detected 13 files ( very likely crashed in background or its that bad )
VM Shut itself Down.
VM was Encrypted and heavily infected.

Reset VM.
I unpacked all the files for surfshark this time Surfshark found 1102 files.

NPE found under these conditions 3412 files.

in Short Surfshark Heavily failed here.

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
In the great words of Donald Rumsfeld

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

As we expected with SurfsharkAv it is a known known that it's bad.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
2 types of AV software;
- from a leading companies with years of experience
- hard to resist prices with questionable protection

And rightly so,
in Short Surfshark Heavily failed here.

Good to get the word out to avoid this.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Surfshark AV which is based on Avira SDK is now being Rated by AV-TEST.
It performed the worst of all av's tested on protection:

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Is this Av supposed to run only when Vpn is on, or be your full-time protection? I just can not find anything that is tempting about this, where am I missing, that this combo is a good idea?

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
The idea behind it is if you trust SurfShark for privacy aka with a VPN then why not for cheap Anti-Virus? It's also another way to generate income because they can offer it as another addon to the VPN. They are doing a reverse AV/AM move. Cynical viewpoint? Yes, but I guess we were already there with AV companies offering system cleaners and VPNs.

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.