Troubleshoot Something blocking Steam/Origin/UPlay internet access

Derek Richardson

Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Internet acess is blocked still for those programs.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Had help from TwinHeadedEagle, i was thinking it was malware, says PC is clean, found out cousin tried/succeeded in downloading a Steam wallet code generator around the same time this started happening. Have used Malwarebytes, Adw Cleaner, Farbar Recovery, ZOEK, ComboFix.
After the first initial attempts with steam i then moved on to trying Origin and UPlay and then discovered that they were also unable to connect to the internet, and not sure if its related to this but superanti spyware is unable to update its definitions, i noticed this happening around the same time as everything else.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
What are your security software install? Did you check your Windows firewall to see if its getting block by connecting? Try them to put on exclusion to see if its working.

Upvote 0

Derek Richardson

Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2014
I currently have F-secure as my AV, and Windows Firewall is all good, and i can login on the browser versions of Origin, Steam and UPlay just fine.

Upvote 0

Derek Richardson

Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2014
When this all started i had a different AV (Bitdefender) but i will take a look at my exceptions list.... should i be looking at a possible OS reinstall?

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
When this all started i had a different AV (Bitdefender) but i will take a look at my exceptions list.... should i be looking at a possible OS reinstall?
Hello Derek.
As you are following through with checking your exceptions list, complete your investigations before re-installing your OS. It's always better to take one step at a time rather than succumbing :confused: to desperation.;)

Since the problem began following your cousin's recent installation of a "Steam wallet code generator around the same time",o_O one option is to perform a system restore point set for before this took place.
I'd had a recent functionality problem on my WIndows 8.1 system, and found this did the trick for me.:)

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
since you had Bitdefender i would use there uninstall tool just to make sure it is gone

Bitdefender uninstall tool
http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-uninstall-bitdefender-333.html

you say you have Superantispyware it has some tools built in you could try and see if it will
fix something for connecting to the internet

also it would help in knowing the version of Windows you are using

:)

James

Upvote 0

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
I am very agree with @Cats-4_Owners-2 , take a long time if you reinstall your os and it is a last resort if all the troubleshooting solutions does not work :).I always make Cloning OS if at any time there are problems that can not be solved and I really need to rush in the near future but I prefer fresh install. :) Especially if you want to play the game and was really excited, of course it is very annoying :mad::)

:)
I'm sorry, my english is bad :)

Upvote 0

Derek Richardson

Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2014
Alright i completely uninstalled bitdefender using their removal tool, im using windows 7, and i dont have a system restore point well at least not one that is closer than march of this year, and as far as uninstalling bitdefender none of the mentioned programs are working still.

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Derek, another step you might consider before re-installing, resetting, or refreshing your OS, would be to check these posts (they sound like yours) on the Steam Community.
Here are some youtube videos I've found, though I've not viewed them ..yet ;) as I'm unfashionably floating our o_Oleaky XP using good sense in a sandbox.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Derek Richardson

Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2014
alright i tried everything in the videos and still nothing and the steam community link you provided worked earlier but for some reason is no longer

Upvote 0

Derek Richardson

Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2014
also just out of curiosity i decided to boot up the computer in safe mode with networking just to see if that would fix anything and no improvement

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
How do i check the HOSTS file and what should i be looking for there

Code:
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Usually the host file is design to map host names to IP address which those websites are written on that text, then its going to connect as assigned purpose. Its a place where causes issues on connecting due to DNS.

support.microsoft.com/kb/972034 (For resetting the host file)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Based on this very lengthy of solutions that claim to be fix here are solutions as follows:

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828935673158964273#c616189742967633669

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828935673158964273#c648816743067001112

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828935673158964273#c648816743066035585

Combination of doing some reset commands in CMD, tweaking registry keys and others.

Here is the beginning of all those comments that managed to solved:
http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828935673158964273#p1

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.