Troubleshoot Something blocking Steam/Origin/UPlay internet access

Derek Richardson

Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Internet acess is blocked still for those programs.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Had help from TwinHeadedEagle, i was thinking it was malware, says PC is clean, found out cousin tried/succeeded in downloading a Steam wallet code generator around the same time this started happening. Have used Malwarebytes, Adw Cleaner, Farbar Recovery, ZOEK, ComboFix.
After the first initial attempts with steam i then moved on to trying Origin and UPlay and then discovered that they were also unable to connect to the internet, and not sure if its related to this but superanti spyware is unable to update its definitions, i noticed this happening around the same time as everything else.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Derek Richardson

Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2014
okay i tried all the options in jamescv7 post and still nothing.....also happened to notice that skype home is also unavailable but i can still make calls, also after trying all those options i decided to try Origin and Uplay just to see if they worked after all that work and still nothing.

Upvote 0

Derek Richardson

Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2014
also i happened to leave the folder open that steam is saved in and noticed as soon as i start it up a .crash file appears and then the error "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again" and as soon as i click okay in that box the file disappears.

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
this will not fix nothing but you can see if Steam will start this way

Try Launching Steam using TCP
https://support.steampowered.com/kb...1b2e3f859d37772d13ed342b76&ref=1456-EUDN-2493
Start Steam with the "-tcp" launch option.
Please see the Setting Steam Launch Options topic for instructions.

Setting Steam Launch Options
How do I set Steam launch options?
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5623-QOSV-5250

Set Steam Launch Options
1.Navigate to your Steam installation (by default this is located at C:\Program Files\Steam)

2.Right-click on Steam.exe (this file is listed as an application and features the black and white Steam logo)
and select Create Shortcut

3.Right-click on the new shortcut and go to Properties

4.Select the Shortcut tab

5.In the Target: field add the launch options which you would like to use after the Steam.exe location (make sure to
separate all launch options with a space - For example, " -launchoption1 -launchoption2")

6.Click Apply and then OK to close the Properties window

-tcp - Launches Steam with the TCP protocol rather than the UDP protocol

also are you sure you set Windows Firewall to defalt settings?

do's F-secure use Windows Firewall i do not remember since the last time i used it you might want to remove/disable all
security software to be sure of nothing interfearing while you try to fix this

mabe Bitdefender changed something in the registry to block things and left it behind after uninstalling it

i'm sure running out of idea's

wish you luck

:)

James

Upvote 0

Derek Richardson

Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2014
1.okay hopefully i did the tcp thing right ("D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -tcp) but no change
2.yes windows firewall is set to default
3.and f-secure does use windows firewall

Upvote 0

Derek Richardson

Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2014
so i went into my internet properties and then to connections and then to LAN settings (several youtube vids saying this fixes it) and when i go into LAN settings they say to check automatically detect settings and uncheck use a proxy server for LAN. Well i do that but as soon as i click ok i can go right back in and its reset back to having the proxy server checked.

Upvote 0

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Well im glad yo hear you got steam back up, that to just in the nick of time when Black Friday sales are upon us. Though according to the article you posted the issue was caused due to some virus, you better head over to the malware removal desk and see if things are ok at your end.

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
very nice you got it working again :)

sometime it sucks when it is something basic but that's the way we learn as we go and something to
remember for future use as it could come in handy later ;)

:)

James

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.