Troubleshoot Sometimes PC does not turn on.

Junglist

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 12, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
PC won't turn on sometimes.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Case power button replaced. Surge protector replaced.
Your current Antivirus
Win 10 Security
Hello

Sometimes my parent's PC won't turn on. The power button is pressed and nothing at all happens, no sound or lights. I have replaced the case power button and also the surge protector but the problem persists. The monitor, also plugged into the surge protector has no problems turning on. If the PC cable is unplugged and re-plugged into the same socket on the surge protector it will turn on after the power button is pressed. There are no problems once the PC is running, although it's only used for web browsing. The PSU (Seasonic S12II Bronze 430W) was bought in 2017. Should I just replace it, or is there something else I should consider?

Thanks for your help.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Is your windows shutting down properly. If it happens from time to time, and you have replaced the button and surge protector, before spending any more money i would suggest looking in windows event manager, look for times around shutdown for any errors. If this is happening when you press the power button you are actually forcing a shutdown to complete, until the process finishes you will not be able to start the machine.

Upvote 1

Junglist

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 12, 2017
Thanks for the replies.

...i would suggest looking in windows event manager, look for times around shutdown for any errors. If this is happening when you press the power button you are actually forcing a shutdown to complete, until the process finishes you will not be able to start the machine.
I had a look and there seems to be no problem with shutdown errors.

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool
Upvote 0

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
If the PC cable is unplugged and re-plugged into the same socket on the surge protector it will turn on after the power button is pressed.

If this behavior is consistent, try another socket on the surge protector, as well as bypassing it and plugging directly into the wall outlet. This will at least definitively rule out the surge protector if the same thing happens from the wall outlet. I doubt it is the surge protector, but this is a quick and easy troubleshooting step.

Upvote 0

Junglist

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 12, 2017
If this behavior is consistent, try another socket on the surge protector, as well as bypassing it and plugging directly into the wall outlet. This will at least definitively rule out the surge protector if the same thing happens from the wall outlet. I doubt it is the surge protector, but this is a quick and easy troubleshooting step.
I've changed sockets and I've used two new surge protectors, without any difference.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Yes and I can confirm the connector is seated correctly.
Try unplugging that connector at the motherboard and touch the two pins on the motherboard for 1-2 seconds with a flathead screwdriver, if the until comes on it's a faulty power button/cable, if not try testing the PSU with this method listed below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Junglist
Upvote 0

Junglist

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 12, 2017
Try unplugging that connector at the motherboard and touch the two pins on the motherboard for 1-2 seconds with a flathead screwdriver, if the until comes on it's a faulty power button if not try testing the PSU with this method listed below.

It usually turns on, just sometimes it doesn't. I've done the screwdriver test before and it turned on so I changed the power button, but the problem remains. I'll test the power supply when I get the chance.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

It usually turns on, just sometimes it doesn't. I've done the screwdriver test before and it turned on so I changed the power button, but the problem remains. I'll test the power supply when I get the chance.
If it's not the power supply and not a constant issue, I would state the motherboard itself may be slowly faltering.

You checked event viewer for signs of errors/improper shutdowns.
You tried other connections on power strip, other outlets, replace power button, cmos battery, checked connection of connector at pins on motherboard for it being seated and if it would start being jumped across.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Okay. Thanks for your help.

Mark.
You are quite welcome. I would like to recommend that you create a external back up of your personal items ( documents/photos/videos) ect, do this often , one never knows when hardware failure can strike and with external backups you will not lose anything if one should occur.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.