RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Here's the case: my girlfriend's father gave me his laptop so i could install an SSD which i told would improve its performance, because it's a pretty old notebook. So i bought this SSD, i connected it, and i get this message: "no operating system found". I checked a few times it was properly connected, and it was. So after this i grabbed my laptop and connected it. It was perfectly read. I tried an HDD on this old man's notebook (it is a Sony Vaio sve14122clw) and it was read with no problems. I decided to install the OS on the SSD on my notebook and after that moving it to the Sony Vaio, still wasn't recognized. I'm starting to think maybe this notebook is too old for this SSD? Any ideas?

SSD: Corsair LE Force 200 240GB
Notebook: Sony Vaio sve14122clw

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: tonibalas and SHvFl

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hello again. SHVFI method of tweaking the registry failed (and ssd wouldn't boot on my good notebook either). I tried every booting method and it failed. Any other ideas before i go catch the gas bottle?

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Hello again. SHVFI method of tweaking the registry failed (and ssd wouldn't boot on my good notebook either). I tried every booting method and it failed. Any other ideas before i go catch the gas bottle?
What happens if you put the ssd on the pc with the issue, grab a windows dvd and force the computer to boot from it. Format the drive and install windows. Did you try this?

Basically what @Rodney74 just said above.

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I saw that you are not the only one having this issue with BIOS. You can try this combination. Put your SSD into your laptop.

First, go to BIOS setup
then boot
set the external device as your1st boot and internal hard drive (SSD in this case) as last
Enable boot from external device
set boot mood UEFI ti Legacy
now plug ur bootable USB (with Windows Installation setup) and save setting using F10 and yes enter.

Reboot and see what happens. If BIOS cannot save your settings it means that maybe CMOS is faulty or dead (perhaps faulty as laptop would change/reset it's time and date whenever you reboot if it's dead)

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
if the reset/updating BIOS doesn't work at all, you should try this diagnostic tool from Corsair... if shows any error...

It's like this The Corsair SSD Toolbox , but you need to find the right tool from corsair website.
Hi, i tried the SSD on another laptop and it worked with no issues, so i hardly think the disk has a problem...

I Would put ssd in laptop, and insert the Windows 10 USB or DVD disk, reboot and format the SSD drive and install Windows, then it should work, no questions.

What happens if you put the ssd on the pc with the issue, grab a windows dvd and force the computer to boot from it. Format the drive and install windows. Did you try this?

Basically what @Rodney74 just said above.

When i set the BIOS to start from an external device, settings won't save and it will start from the non-working SSD and give me errors...

I saw that you are not the only one having this issue with BIOS. You can try this combination. Put your SSD into your laptop.

First, go to BIOS setup
then boot
set the external device as your1st boot and internal hard drive (SSD in this case) as last
Enable boot from external device
set boot mood UEFI ti Legacy
now plug ur bootable USB (with Windows Installation setup) and save setting using F10 and yes enter.

Reboot and see what happens. If BIOS cannot save your settings it means that maybe CMOS is faulty or dead (perhaps faulty as laptop would change/reset it's time and date whenever you reboot if it's dead)

Will try to connect the USB before saving changes. If i unplug the CMOS battery and plug it after a few minutes, would this help?

Thanks everybody for helping me!!

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Hi, i tried the SSD on another laptop and it worked with no issues, so i hardly think the disk has a problem...

When i set the BIOS to start from an external device, settings won't save and it will start from the non-working SSD and give me errors...

Will try to connect the USB before saving changes. If i unplug the CMOS battery and plug it after a few minutes, would this help?

Thanks everybody for helping me!!
It might help, but don't forget to set the time and date before you reboot, removing the CMOS will bork your time and date and that causes more issues sometimes if not reset before booting.

Reactions: RoboMan and SHvFl
Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
@RoboMan You don't have to change boot order to boot from dvd. When the pc boots it should tell you a key usually at bottom right to choose boot device.

Also if the battery is bad plugging it out and in will not help. You need to replace it.

Reactions: RoboMan
Upvote 0
R

Rodney74

So on my PC I can set it to boot from any device, and set the priority for that device, in the bios....SKIP THAT....WHY, well right now I have my PC set to boot with C: and this is set to priority one (first).

But I reboot and just press the F8 key multiple times, while booting, a blue screen pops up, and I can select any device I want.

This has proven to be far less troublesome, sometimes the bios gives problems when selecting boot device priority, but F8 key (or whatever key you use) always works.

Then select your DVD or USB ETC.

Reactions: RoboMan and SHvFl
Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Thanks for the worry. I've tried everything mentioned on this thread and couldn't fix it. I'm thinking on selling back the SSD.
Just take the pc to a store and tell them figure it out i want this ssd to work here. I am sure they will want just a few $ it's not like they will do anything serious. There is no way it doesn't work and with an ssd you will give this old pc some life.

Upvote 0

angustaver

Level 4
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Maybe the problem is that the disk this system partitions gpt
Put the ssd inside the laptop
Bios in default values
You must completely remove all data from the ssd:
Start from dvd windows installation
Choose repair and then system symbol (cmd, command console)
Or install and then alt + f10
Must get
Enter command console (cmd, system symbol)
Once there
Write
Diskpart / intro
List disk / intro
Select disk (+ disk number corresponds to ssd)
(You can see by the size)
(Example: select disk 1 / intro)
Finally write
Clean all / intro
(It takes a while, wait)
Then try installing windows

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.