RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Here's the case: my girlfriend's father gave me his laptop so i could install an SSD which i told would improve its performance, because it's a pretty old notebook. So i bought this SSD, i connected it, and i get this message: "no operating system found". I checked a few times it was properly connected, and it was. So after this i grabbed my laptop and connected it. It was perfectly read. I tried an HDD on this old man's notebook (it is a Sony Vaio sve14122clw) and it was read with no problems. I decided to install the OS on the SSD on my notebook and after that moving it to the Sony Vaio, still wasn't recognized. I'm starting to think maybe this notebook is too old for this SSD? Any ideas?

SSD: Corsair LE Force 200 240GB
Notebook: Sony Vaio sve14122clw

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: tonibalas and SHvFl

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
My laptop is SONY VAIO FW 21E.
I bought it in 2009 so i think it's older from the one you are mentioning.
Anyway i have upgraded to an SSD for 2 years now. I installed a Samsung 850 Evo.
Search a bit more and i think you will get to the bottom of it.

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Enabled achi mode using the reply in green from here. I guess it should be this considering the hdd works and the ssd works on your system.
Btw there is no system old enough to get an ssd so the issue is in software.
switch from ide to ahci windows 10 - [Solved] - Storage
I tried it already, but unluckily this BIOS is very small. It has option to configure date and time, boot order, and nothing else. It's really really small and i can't get why...

Reactions: SHvFl
Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Boot the ssd on your system and check the registry setting it mentions there. If it's 0 change it to 3 and if it's 3 change it to 0. Then put the ssd on gf system and see how it goes.
Maybe your bios can't do achi and when you installed windows on your pc it will have achi.

If this doesn't work format the drive and then put it on gf pc and install windows. It should work. If not tell us what exactly it does.

Upvote 0

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
The BIOS does not detect or recognize the solid state drive
There are four main reasons why a system BIOS will not detect the presence of a solid-state drive. Those shown below are not in any particular order, but you can follow these steps one by one to troubleshoot this problem:

Drive not enabled in the BIOS

The Serial ATA drivers are not installed correctly

Data Cable defective or unplugged

SSD drive faulty

It may be problem of drivers?

Hello look at the bios if the configuration is sata not IDE?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
If i were you, I would do the following:

1. Update the bios; don't skip this part, the last update is from 11/10/2016 (Sony eSupport - SVE14122CLW - Controladores y Software)
  2. If you still can't boot, i would try to boot another Windows environment from a USB flash drive and try to check if the HDD is recognized after booting this environment
  3. If it is, i would try to migrate the old OS with macrium for example (if you don't want to do a fresh install) or the best option would be to install a fresh Win10 (though there is only support for Win 8 on Sony's website for this laptop, and Sony is sort of known to use custom drivers for their laptops - might not work with Win10 or you might see some missing drivers)
  4. If it isn't recognized, i would first check what options do i have in BIOS after the upgrade, maybe they unlocked some features that may help, specially SATA/ATA/IDE/LEGACY mode/AHCI mode/UEFI, anything related to storage
  5. If still not recognized in BIOS, i would check if the HDD is faulty (because it is compatible with SATA 6Gb/s, SATA 3Gb/s & SATA 1.5Gb/s: 850 EVO | Consumer SSD | Samsung V-NAND SSD )
  6. If it is recognized by the BIOS but still does not boot or install Windows, you may need to provide Windows, at the installation step, storage controller drivers; the drivers might be custom and you may need to feed them to the installer, using the "Load Driver" option at the screen where you usually would select the hdd and partitions

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I did a little search and i think @vindiesel is correct.
This SSD doesn't seem to have support for Sata 2.
@SHvFl i just did another check and you are right, so the problem is something else
It is compatible with Sata2 :p It is something else, I would try updating the BIOS first
2.PNG

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hello guys, nothing worked so far. After updating the BIOS, the interface is the same. Literally all options i have are:
SYSTEM DATE
SYSTEM TIME
SET MACHINE PASSWORD
SECURE BOOT
SECURE BOOT MODE
RESTORE FACTORY DEFAULTS
Boot Configuration:
BOOT MODE
EXTERNAL DEVICE BOOT
NETWORK BOOT
Boot Priority:
INTERNAL HARD DISK DRIVE
EXTERNAL DEVICE
INTERNAL OPTICAL DISC DRIVE
NETWORK
EXIT

What i've tried:

Disabling secure boot
Switching Boot Mode from UEFI to Legacy
Enabling External Device Boot
Switching Boot Orders

Not only nothing worked, but i realised it doesn't matter if i save the changes, when i reboot the system, no settings are saved and it's back to original...
I tried to boot from USB on the old HDD but it still won't boot from an external device (probably because External Device Boot is disabled and when i enable, i reboot and changes won't save).

When i boot with HDD, no problems. When i boot with SSD i get "no operating system found", despite Windows is already installed.

Boot the ssd on your system and check the registry setting it mentions there. If it's 0 change it to 3 and if it's 3 change it to 0. Then put the ssd on gf system and see how it goes.
Maybe your bios can't do achi and when you installed windows on your pc it will have achi.

If this doesn't work format the drive and then put it on gf pc and install windows. It should work. If not tell us what exactly it does.

Should i try this, now you've read what i posted?

Thanks everybody for helping me.

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Yeah, it the only thing that makes sense in my mind. There is no reason one of this would not work. Especially the second way but i said try the first at start because it's pretty easy and if it works you will avoid a format.

Reactions: RoboMan
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.