Troubleshoot Kingston 240GB Sata SSD lost %2 of health in less than 3 months.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
SSD health deteriorating fast.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
Hello,

I have recently installed a sata Kingston to revive my 4-year-old Acer laptop. I noticed that this SSD lost %2 of health in less than 3 months. Is this worrying?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hmm, well, Kingston is a budget line so it's not shocking but it's still concerning. Hard Disk Sentinel is usually accurate but in case you need supportive documentation, it might help If that percentage is confirmed by another utility like Crystal Disk Info or HWiNFO64. I would check the warranty status or see if you can return it for a refund. You won't know if you don't ask.

You can't really compare one person's use scenario with another's but anecdotally, slightly over 2 years with light-to-moderate use, my Samsung 980 Pro is still at 100% Health via CDI and HWiNFO. Some say to cheap out on a boot drive but I'm the opposite. One might consider investing in a solid brand like Samsung.

Upvote 0

jollydan

Level 1
Verified
Dec 1, 2017
@Divine_Barakah
I have bought and used several kinds of SSD like Samsung, Lexar, Kingston, Western Digital, Kioxia and from my experience, Samsung is the best to choose from. The next that can be reliable are Western Digital, Kioxia. Lexar is acceptable but it's cheap. You guys should not buy or use Kingston since there are FAKE KINGSTON from China! i lost one Kingston SSD

EDIT: I lost TWO Kingston SSDs exactly: 120GB & 240GB. Kingston SSD 120Gb is a Fake and Kingston SSD 240 suddenly died and could not be formatted by any ways whatsoever and must be thrown away!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
@Divine_Barakah
I have bought and used several kinds of SSD like Samsung, Lexar, Kingston, Western Digital, Kioxia and from my experience, Samsung is the best to choose from. The next that can be reliable are Western Digital, Kioxia. Lexar is acceptable but it's cheap. You guys should not buy or use Kingston since there are FAKE KINGSTON from China! i lost one Kingston SSD

EDIT: I lost TWO Kingston SSDs exactly: 120GB & 240GB. Kingston SSD 120Gb is a Fake and Kingston SSD 240 suddenly died and could not be formatted by any ways whatsoever and must be thrown away!
Thank you for the suggestion. Yes in my experience Samsung is the best.

Regarding Kingston, how can i know it is a fake? Kingston tool detected it, so in this case it is original, right?

Upvote 0

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
How many years of use does the SSD have?
Less than 3 months!
Hmm, well, Kingston is a budget line so it's not shocking but it's still concerning. Hard Disk Sentinel is usually accurate but in case you need supportive documentation, it might help If that percentage is confirmed by another utility like Crystal Disk Info or HWiNFO64. I would check the warranty status or see if you can return it for a refund. You won't know if you don't ask.

You can't really compare one person's use scenario with another's but anecdotally, slightly over 2 years with light-to-moderate use, my Samsung 980 Pro is still at 100% Health via CDI and HWiNFO. Some say to cheap out on a boot drive but I'm the opposite. One might consider investing in a solid brand like Samsung.
Both Hard Disk Sentinel and Kingston tool shows the same. Anyway, the total writes are only 1.7 tb.

I regularly restore system images to try new software, so I guess this might be the reason flor health decline.

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
How much host write ur drive has? Also what size?
My laptop came with 480 GB Samsung OEM SSD drive, after one year of usage (Total host write - 11,112 GB) it's health is 97%. I bought another 1 TB crucial SSD it's health is 99% with Total host writes at 3297 GB. I don't think any of them are "Premium" drives, they budget options AFAIK.

Upvote 0

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
4% health loss in just 3 months? Sounds suspicious to me. Can you install CrystalDiskInfo and post a screenshot of the SSD? Since you have backup images try to do a sanitize and secure erase of the SSD using Parted Magic and make sure that your TRIM in ON.
I am installing CrystalDiskInfo right now. Regarding secure erase, I am not sure how to do it as it requires to unplug and plug the drive again to enter sleep. Do you have any tips to do it? On my desktop I easily do it as I can access the drive, but on my Acer laptop if I remove he cover, I cannot turn on the device unless I cover it back.

Upvote 0

devjit2020

Level 2
Apr 7, 2022
I am installing CrystalDiskInfo right now. Regarding secure erase, I am not sure how to do it as it requires to unplug and plug the drive again to enter sleep. Do you have any tips to do it? On my desktop I easily do it as I can access the drive, but on my Acer laptop if I remove he cover, I cannot turn on the device unless I cover it back.
You don't need to do anything. If you boot from the parted magic USB it'll automatically detect the SSD and before performing SE it'll check if the device is frozen. If it's frozen it'll show an option for sleep. Click the option, let it sleep for around 10-15 seconds and then wake up the laptop from sleep. Then you can perform the SE. I think Kingston has their proprietary tool which you can also use to SE and sanitize their SSD.

Upvote 0

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
You don't need to do anything. If you boot from the parted magic USB it'll automatically detect the SSD and before performing SE it'll check if the device is frozen. If it's frozen it'll show an option for sleep. Click the option, let it sleep for around 10-15 seconds and then wake up the laptop from sleep. Then you can perform the SE.
I have downloaded CrystalDiskInfo and I have attached the screenshots. I am downloading Parted Magic now.

Screenshot (2).pngScreenshot (3).png

Upvote 0

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Hello,

I have recently installed a sata Kingston to revive my 4-year-old Acer laptop. I noticed that this SSD lost %2 of health in less than 3 months. Is this worrying?
Most 240 Gb ssd have at-least 100 TB write capacity and after that its performance deteriorates considerably. So by your usage it should have shown a loss of health to 1.7% ((1.7 TB written/100TB)x100) and your Kingston software shows 2%, and its correct, because the software doesn't shows the decimal points, only whole numbers. So 1.7% gets rounded off to 2%. Its absolutely perfect. regarding crystal disk info, its a third party software, it may not be calibrated perfectly to every SSD, its a general software, So I would go with the values by OEM software.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.