Troubleshoot Kingston 240GB Sata SSD lost %2 of health in less than 3 months.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
SSD health deteriorating fast.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
Hello,

I have recently installed a sata Kingston to revive my 4-year-old Acer laptop. I noticed that this SSD lost %2 of health in less than 3 months. Is this worrying?

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
The smaller capacity of the ssd is a disadvantage with respect to degradation because of the work involved in rewriting the data placement.

I have used an Intel 80gb ssd from about 10 years ago and a wd ssd (green) 120gb from 5 years ago, and the wd deteriorates faster. I guess the circumstances of recent reasonably priced products changing the write process to cut costs may also have an effect.

Considering the above points, I think it is best to refrain from restoration and other disk-intensive operations as much as possible.

Upvote 0

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
The smaller capacity of the ssd is a disadvantage with respect to degradation because of the work involved in rewriting the data placement.

I have used an Intel 80gb ssd from about 10 years ago and a wd ssd (green) 120gb from 5 years ago, and the wd deteriorates faster. I guess the circumstances of recent reasonably priced products changing the write process to cut costs may also have an effect.

Considering the above points, I think it is best to refrain from restoration and other disk-intensive operations as much as possible.
If the disk fails any time soon, I have nothing to lose as everything is backed up. I will wait till the disk fails and then I will replace it with a larger one. Thanks.

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If the disk fails any time soon, I have nothing to lose as everything is backed up. I will wait till the disk fails and then I will replace it with a larger one. Thanks.
ssd can break without warning, but it is also hard to break. 80gb Intel has been stable at 80% for 3 years.
It is recommended to check periodically to see if there is any noticeable progression of deterioration.
The only thing a user can do for the ssd is monitor and backup. You will have a more comfortable pc life if you use it with that level of ease.:)(y)

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Attachments

• capture_12312022_191822.jpg
    capture_12312022_191822.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
If you are using Windows 11, it is "normal". Mine has gone from 96% to 92% this year alone, though I have limited writes using ramdisk.
So you are saying Win11 is accidently defragging the SSD instead of Trimming due to unknown bugs? I guess that explains this issue.

Upvote 0

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Better use Shadow Defender instead of restoring a whole system.
I, was going to say the same, restoring disk image too often, degrades your SSD faster, than when you use it normally. And why is that? and what is the difference between faster wear and slower wear? Because when you restore a disk image the restore process, causes your SSD to heat up a lot, so the health of the SSD drops dramatically, especially these cheaper SSDs. ;)

Upvote 0

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Better use Shadow Defender instead of restoring a whole system.

I, was going to say the same, restoring disk image too often, degrades your SSD faster, than when you use it normally. And why is that? and what is the difference between faster wear and slower wear? Because when you restore a disk image the restore process, causes your SSD to heat up a lot, so the health of the SSD drops dramatically, especially these cheaper SSDs. ;)
I thought SD was no longer developed.

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
So you are saying Win11 is accidently defragging the SSD instead of Trimming due to unknown bugs? I guess that explains this issue.
Windows 11 intentionally defrags SSDs. Starting with Windows 8, Windows defrags SSDs monthly. This is nothing to be concerned about, as despite what you hear, it is safe to defrag SSDs.

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Windows 11 intentionally defrags SSDs. Starting with Windows 8, Windows defrags SSDs monthly. This is nothing to be concerned about, as despite what you hear, it is safe to defrag SSDs.
I know Windows sometimes defrag SSDs as well. I was talking about bugs like this one, they were fixed long ago but MS has a habit of making same bugs appearing again & again.

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Note that it can be the ultimate weapon depending on the timing.
If you run CHKDSK on your ssd, you may run into other minor troubles.

Upvote 0

Malleable

Level 1
Mar 2, 2021
Note that it can be the ultimate weapon depending on the timing.
If you run CHKDSK on your ssd, you may run into other minor troubles.
Thanks for pointing this out. I was unaware of this and just looked into it a bit. Seems Windows 10 related when a problem occurs. Microsoft in their own cute way both denies and confirms it. In the same article. I only ran chkdsk when there's a problem and haven't worked on anyone else's computer for a while. I just ran it on my main Samsung 970 Pro and external Hynix drives. On my main Windows 11 drive after chkdsk completed I got a blue Recovery screen indicating Windows didn't load correctly and suggested a restart which performed normally. I do not know if this is related to Bitlocker. The Hynix went without a problem. I'm going to look into this a bit further.

Btw, if you unplug an external USB drive without Safely Removing/ejecting it first and it's not set for the Quick Removal policy the drive may become unreadable. Chkdsk fixes that without any data loss. I'm just reading now Windows by default is set for Quick Removal so it wouldn't be a problem unless you changed it but the Better Performance policy gives you just that and I used to do a lot of large (200GB+) file transfers regularly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.