Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex at Sophos

From Sophos
Verified
Content Creator
Developer
Feb 12, 2016
Wanted to throw in that Sophos Home (free and beta) has been updated with Malicious Traffic Detection (MTD) and Download Reputation. In a nutshell, MTD looks for traffic between a program or file on your computer and a command-and-control server. If a malicious traffic connection is found, Sophos Home will take action against the program/file. Download Reputation checks the file you're downloading against a vast database of downloadable files, letting you know if said file has a history of being malicious or full of malware, adware, etc., allowing the user to avoid the download.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Hi @Alex at Sophos I am using Sophos Home Premium Beta and I love it. But sometimes it can slow down my computer because I am using a HardDrive and it can use like 50% of my disk sometimes (SavService.exe) just say if I am running a game or doing a disk defrag like last night with Defraggler. but overall I love it. I can only use it on my desktop though because it slows down my laptop too much. I would like to have the 'Stable' version on my laptop and the Beta version on my Desktop but I don't really want to make 2 accounts. It would be good if I could just use 1 account for both. :)

Kind regards, Andrew

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For Sophos Home Premium

1) Is HMPA still required?
2) Does it have HIPS/Sandbox?
3) Does it auto-scan a USB device upon insertion
4) How about SSL/HTTPS filtering?
5) Does it protects in real-time when offline?
6) Does it protects against advanced threats?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: The paranoid one

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
No
No
Yes
NO, but it has good web filtering
Yes, it can protect when you are offline.
I guess yes because of hitman pro alert.
HMPA maybe good against some advanced threats but not against APT, botnet activities etc. For ATP I think you still need another software

And good web filtering is different from SSL/HTTPS filtering

Last edited:

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Where is advanced threat:DI mean where it comes from?just sandbox the browser so nothing will happen and:notworthy: you don't need ATP.
Consider for having an ATP you need to pay a lot of money:notworthy: guesses the cheapest one is Forti client.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
How's the scanning time for a full complete scan? Is it same as that of Emsisoft AM?

I was watching some youtubes on Sophos Home Review and the full scanning seems to take a long time. It's sure going to cause my tablet to get heated up and its fan to spin continuously :rolleyes:

Also, when's the product going to launch since this thread started in May this year?

Last edited:

Alex at Sophos

From Sophos
Verified
Content Creator
Developer
Feb 12, 2016
How's the scanning time for a full complete scan? Is it same as that of Emsisoft AM?

I was watching some youtubes on Sophos Home Review and the full scanning seems to take a long time. It's sure going to cause my tablet to get heated up and its fan to spin continuously :rolleyes:

Also, when's the product going to launch since this thread started in May this year?

Glad you asked. The scan is much faster on the beta with the integration of the HitmanPro scan. We're doing the same with the Mac version right now, decreasing the scan time dramatically. Scan times still will depend on how many files, programs, processing power, etc. but expect a much faster scan.

In regards to launch time, we are planning on a launch early next year. We've received some excellent feedback from many of our beta users. We've been making improvements and adding more features based on that feedback. This of course takes some time to fully implement, but we're working fast and furious to get this out in market.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Glad you asked. The scan is much faster on the beta with the integration of the HitmanPro scan. We're doing the same with the Mac version right now, decreasing the scan time dramatically. Scan times still will depend on how many files, programs, processing power, etc. but expect a much faster scan.

In regards to launch time, we are planning on a launch early next year. We've received some excellent feedback from many of our beta users. We've been making improvements and adding more features based on that feedback. This of course takes some time to fully implement, but we're working fast and furious to get this out in market.
Hi

Any chance of adding SSL/HTTPS filtering? And how about protection against advanced threats like botnet activities, APTs, RATs etc

I can see that you have PUA(PUP) protection. How about protection for PUM(Potentially Unwanted Modification)/PUS(Potentially Unsafe Application)?

Thanks

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
And how about protection against advanced threats like botnet activities, APTs, RATs etc
Botnet activity would be detected by MTD if Sophos are aware of the C&C server. As for the other two: APTs are usually levied against organisations or states; not something a regular user should be too worried about. Known RATs are no doubt detected but whether Home's proactive detection techniques would catch an unknown one remains to be seen.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Botnet activity would be detected by MTD if Sophos is aware of the C&C server. As for the other two: APTs are usually levied against organisations or states; not something a regular user should be too worried about. Known RATs are no doubt detected but whether Home's proactive detection techniques would catch an unknown one remains to be seen.
You think the recent CCleaner malware infection can be considered as an APT? I believe it affects home owners too, right?

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
The term is so broad I couldn't honestly say if it would be classed as an APT or not. You'd have to ask a security researcher, analyst, etc.
The CCleaner incident has been classified as an Advanced Persistent Threat (APT) by several reports, including Avast's. :)
Many (the consumers, including me :LOL:) got the infected installer, but very few (corporate people) are the actual targets.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Greetings @Alex at Sophos
I am running the Sophos Home Beta ( v1.2.6 ) have been off and on for quite some time, can you comment on the price?
I would like to keep it after the beta ends and I am not allergic to paying for my software. Will your testers be able to purchase (Premium) early before the Beta expires, In fact I haven't checked is it available for pre-purchase now ?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

Just signed up for the HP beta and after I confirmed my email address it tried to open the cloud page but couldn't. I think it's the dashboard where I can download a copy of the Sophos Home installer. Tried in Chrome/FF and can't open

Thanks

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok, new findings. Interesting indeed

As mentioned in the aforementioned post I could not sign in using Chrome/FF then I changed to another tablet running the earlier OS(ACU) with Ungoogled Chromium, Waterfox and Iridium browsers still showing a blank page after signing in to Sophos. With or without VPN also the same issue. Disabled all my extensions also showing a blank page. I even tried other solutions online which worked for others but they just don't work on mine.

Then I went to sign in using my android Samsung Note 4 smartphone and guess what? Sophos dashboard appears! I then proceeded to download a copy of the Sophos home for PC

But I did not install on my tablets. How to? If later I sign in and face a blank page then what?

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Alex at Sophos

From Sophos
Verified
Content Creator
Developer
Feb 12, 2016
Greetings @Alex at Sophos
I am running the Sophos Home Beta ( v1.2.6 ) have been off and on for quite some time, can you comment on the price?
I would like to keep it after the beta ends and I am not allergic to paying for my software. Will your testers be able to purchase (Premium) early before the Beta expires, In fact I haven't checked is it available for pre-purchase now ?

Not available for purchase yet. Beta users will actually get a year free of Premium once the beta is over (that means you!). The beta will end around the same time the product will be available to purchase.

Alex at Sophos

From Sophos
Verified
Content Creator
Developer
Feb 12, 2016
@HarborFront, sorry for the late reply. Are you still having issues with a blank screen showing up when you try to log in at home.sophos.com? If so, I'd like to get you in contact with our developers to trouble shoot the issue.

You mentioned installing on your tablets. I would like to point out that while you can login to your account at home.sophos.com from a phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, etc., Sophos Home only works on computers running Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, or Windows 10 OR Mac OS X 10.10, 10.11, 10.12 or 10.13. You won't be able to install this on a tablet running Android OS or Apple iOS. We do have an separate free Android solution here for tablets and phones: Sophos Mobile Security - Android Apps on Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.