Advice Request Sophos Home Premium?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
i tried Sophos it takes over hmpa if you all ready have it. So i did not bother with it as i dont believe in paying twice for hmpa as there no discount if you already have hmpa hope this helps
Hello @johnyjohn , Is it necessary to uninstall HMPA before installing SHP ?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

That makes it one of the best products IMO. You get the best on-demand scanner, anti-exploit, key-scrambler around (IMO) along with some healthy machine learning being progressively more integrated into the package. Not to mention Sophos legendary high quality heuristic web traffic scanner. All for $40 a year for 10 devices? A steal.

HMPA purchase stand alone would be pointless now. If you really just wanted HMPA get SHP then disable all of the SHP stuff and use HMPA as a virtually stand alone solution within it for 10 devices.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
No it just comes up on the screen to say SHP is taking over HMPA no need to uninstall

Thanks @johnyjohn :)

That makes it one of the best products IMO. You get the best on-demand scanner, anti-exploit, key-scrambler around (IMO) along with some healthy machine learning being progressively more integrated into the package. Not to mention Sophos legendary high quality heuristic web traffic scanner. All for $40 a year for 10 devices? A steal.

HMPA purchase stand alone would be pointless now. If you really just wanted HMPA get SHP then disable all of the SHP stuff and use HMPA as a virtually stand alone solution within it for 10 devices.

Thanks @ForgottenSeer 58943 :)
But if I'm right, with SHP the on demand scanner HitmanPro is missing:unsure:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Testing SHP. Zero issues.

On the test machine it feels extremely lightweight, lighter than Kaspersky IS which was on there testing prior to this.

SHP is still my favorite suite because of the power of Sophos Heuristic Web Scanner, decent Sophos sigs, but full HMPA and InterceptX integration is really nice.

Also, they have a 20% off sale going on it now I see.

Is it better than Emsisoft? I can get Emsisoft Anti-Malware 3PCs/1Year for under $50.

Reactions: JB007
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thanks @johnyjohn :)

But if I'm right, with SHP the on demand scanner HitmanPro is missing:unsure:

Sophos Home Premium implements 3 overall technologies (Sophos, Invincea, HMP/HMPA)

Sophos and Invincea Technologies
Real-time AV
Anti-Botnet
Anti-PUA
Downloaded File Reputation
Web Protection
Heuristic Traffic Scanner

HMP/HMPA Technologies
On-Demand Scans
Exploit Mitigation
Risk Reduction (Backdoors, Sandbox, DLL Injections, Malicious USB, Process Hallowing)
Anti-Ransomware
MBR Protection
Safe Banking
Webcam Protection

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Sophos Home Premium implements 3 overall technologies (Sophos, Invincea, HMP/HMPA)

Sophos and Invincea Technologies
Real-time AV
Anti-Botnet
Anti-PUA
Downloaded File Reputation
Web Protection
Heuristic Traffic Scanner

HMP/HMPA Technologies
On-Demand Scans
Exploit Mitigation
Risk Reduction (Backdoors, Sandbox, DLL Injections, Malicious USB, Process Hallowing)
Anti-Ransomware
MBR Protection
Safe Banking
Webcam Protection

Not sure that SHP on demand scan uses BD and Kaspersky like HMP does?:unsure:

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

@davisd , do you mean that this association (SHP+Heimdal) duplicates and is useless ?:unsure:
Somewhat, but it's up to a user, in high risk environment it's good, for basic home user just browsing the web it might be too much, but Heimdal is so light so it's whatever if you add it or not, imo SHP handles traffic scanning equaly or even better than Heimdal if you don't browse dark web. If you have a license for a Heimdal Pro, use it, if you don't, then it's whatever, you don't lose much by not having it and just run SHP with OSArmor or Voodoo.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Somewhat, but it's up to a user, in high risk environment it's good, for basic home user just browsing the web it might be too much, but Heimdal is so light so it's whatever if you add it or not, imo SHP handles traffic scanning equaly or even better than Heimdal if you don't browse dark web. If you have a license for a Heimdal Pro, use it, if you don't, then it's whatever, you don't lose much by not having it and just run SHP with OSArmor or Voodoo.

Thanks @davisd :)
I intend to use the combo (SHP+OSA+Heimdal Pro). Is it a good idea ?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thanks @davisd :)
I intend to use the combo (SHP+OSA+Heimdal Pro). Is it a good idea ?

Very potent combo there, with only marginal overlap.

The most overlap would be the SHP traffic scanner/web filter and Anti-Botnet, which has overlap with Heimdal.

However, Heimdal is good for DNS protection because it locally encrypts your DNS with it's own client resolver, preventing local DNS hijacks. Also I like it for the updater aspects of it and it actually speeds resolution of DNS due to it's cache (which is encrypted, unlike windows). But you'd be pretty safe skipping Heimdal. I just feel it adds benefit with no weight, and in fact, improved DNS resolving speeds.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Very potent combo there, with only marginal overlap.

The most overlap would be the SHP traffic scanner/web filter and Anti-Botnet, which has overlap with Heimdal.

However, Heimdal is good for DNS protection because it locally encrypts your DNS with it's own client resolver, preventing local DNS hijacks. Also I like it for the updater aspects of it and it actually speeds resolution of DNS due to it's cache (which is encrypted, unlike windows). But you'd be pretty safe skipping Heimdal. I just feel it adds benefit with no weight, and in fact, improved DNS resolving speeds.

Thanks @ForgottenSeer 58943 , I will try Heimdal ASAP.

Reactions: Weebarra

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
HeimdalPro installed but uninstalled some hours later because it updates some of my softwares in English and not in French:(
I do not find a tweak to correct this problem.:(

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
The price is crazy indeed for all the technology SHP has, for up to 10 devices, 32€ is nothing for a 1 year.

20% off link is still working Sophos Home Shop

Hello,
You can find here 50% de réduction sur Sophos Home Premium : parce que votre sécurité n’a pas de prix ! a 50% discount and get SHP for only 20€, 1 year/10 devices ! Really an amazing price:)
SHP.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.