Advice Request Sophos Home Premium?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I also notice a slowdown in boot up with BD free. And after the terrible support issues I and many others had with BD paid I wouldn't install their products again. BD sigs are way, way over rated.

Reactions: Barakah

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Really? BD free over something with HMP+HMPA+ A great webguard, decent sigs and cloud and interceptX? There are free AV's I'd go with but BD free not a chance. BD paid is a bug fest and BD internet security gets bypassed a fair bit in the hub. To be honest I think WD+CF is all that's needed but SHP does offer a LOT more than BD free.

Free over paid. I don't have any issue at all with Bitdefender Free. No slow down at all. I have used Bitdefender Free over a year now. In addition, I can use VoodooShield along with Bitdefender Free.

Reactions: Barakah and ZeroDay

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Free over paid. I don't have any issue at all with Bitdefender Free. No slow down at all. I have used Bitdefender Free over a year now.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't like any of BD products I think Bitdefender is THE most overrated security company in the world. Their support is shocking. I'll probably end up back with WD+CF soon as I really do love that setup. I'm going to give Sophos home premium a fair go though as the license didn't cost me a penny.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't like any of BD products I think Bitdefender is THE most overrated security company in the world. Their support is shocking. I'll probably end up back with WD+CF soon as I really do love that setup. I'm going to give Sophos home premium a fair go though as the license didn't cost me a penny.

I don't think Bitdefender is the most overrated security company in the world. I think Kaspersky is the most overrated security company in the world instead. I'm a cheap stake dude so to me Bitdefender Free + VoodooShield or Windows Defender + VoodooShield is not a bad choice either.

Reactions: kev216

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I've got CF running with SHP great here I just set up exclusions.

Didn't know there was a work-around. My inexperience is showing.....Would someone be kind enough to advise how I would go about doing this? Would exclusions be in Sophos or Windows? I know, Level 1 :alien: :geek:..wannabe!.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I'm just about to install SHP on my main system, it's taken a few hours to say bye for now to KIS lol.

Meh, I just rolled my systems over to SHP as well.. So far flawless and no issues across the Win10 machines we have (all gamers).

Bit Defender Free is trash, and slow-sig Bit Defender with it's sloppy and slow firewall and bugs? Hell no, why are we even talking about that?

Anyway, not sure I want to pair up SHP with anything at this point, it's done so well on the DMZ test machine with all of the modules working in concert. VS? Thinking about it.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Meh, I just rolled my systems over to SHP as well.. So far flawless and no issues across the Win10 machines we have (all gamers).

Bit Defender Free is trash, and slow-sig Bit Defender with it's sloppy and slow firewall and bugs? Hell no, why are we even talking about that?

Anyway, not sure I want to pair up SHP with anything at this point, it's done so well on the DMZ test machine with all of the modules working in concert. VS? Thinking about it.

All software do have bugs.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Also installed Sophos Home Premium. So far so good. Its light, have to get used to the Webportal and no firewall configuring. Got 30 days to test so we wait and see.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
since when is SHP including InterceptX? Isn't InterceptX only available with the endpoint version?

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I don't think Bitdefender is the most overrated security company in the world. I think Kaspersky is the most overrated security company in the world instead. I'm a cheap stake dude so to me Bitdefender Free + VoodooShield or Windows Defender + VoodooShield is not a bad choice either.
go through @harlan4096 's malware hub results and go through @Brodyaga 's and see which is overrated.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
since when is SHP including InterceptX? Isn't InterceptX only available with the endpoint version?
Its integrated now in the Home Premium version.

1524380035530.png

Barakah

Level 3
Verified
Apr 13, 2018

“Bitdefender is the most overrated security company in the world”. Nowadays, yes you are right. Some years ago I was an active user in an Arabic Security forum which had a forum for testing malware samples. Bitdefender did the most great results even better than Kaspersky. There was a named Black007 who was using Kaspersky on custom settings. He disabled “automatic settings of Kaspersky so that it becomes fully manual and asks the user about everything” Any way the forum discovered a serious bug in Bitdefender in IDS module which did not work in 64 but systems. Ids and AVC “Active Virus Control” are the key for Bitdefender strength. We did post in the Bitdefender forum letting them now about this serious issue but they never responded. I stopped using Bitdefender since then. Sorry for the off-topic but it is worth mentioning

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
“Bitdefender is the most overrated security company in the world”. Nowadays, yes you are right. Some years ago I was an active user in an Arabic Security forum which had a forum for testing malware samples. Bitdefender did the most great results even better than Kaspersky. There was a named Black007 who was using Kaspersky on custom settings. He disabled “automatic settings of Kaspersky so that it becomes fully manual and asks the user about everything” Any way the forum discovered a serious bug in Bitdefender in IDS module which did not work in 64 but systems. Ids and AVC “Active Virus Control” are the key for Bitdefender strength. We did post in the Bitdefender forum letting them now about this serious issue but they never responded. I stopped using Bitdefender since then. Sorry for the off-topic but it is worth mentioning
That's one major issue with Bitdefender isn't it, You find a bug, report it, post on their forums about it and they do nothing about it. Bitdefender definitely need to listen to their users more and improve their customer support.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
People here still testing Sophos ? I am not convinced yet.

Barakah

Level 3
Verified
Apr 13, 2018
That's one major issue with Bitdefender isn't it, You find a bug, report it, post on their forums about it and they do nothing about it. Bitdefender definitely need to listen to their users more and improve their customer support.
This is not just an issue. If the malware is not caught by signatures nor cloud, it just paypasses Bitdefender Security. This happened on 64x systems. X86 systems were fully protected. I guess Bitdefender addresses this serious issue 4 years later.

Barakah

Level 3
Verified
Apr 13, 2018
i did, it was mediocre, so i gave up on it

https://malwaretips.com/threads/mixed-threats-20-23-03-2018.81151/post-720709

i did more testing that time but didnt post it on the hub.

One should not judge a product by running one test. Actually it might depends on what a person has in mind about a certain product. I mean if someone like Kaspersky and it fails in a test or another he will justify it by saying no product is perfect. In Sophos case, it is not well-known and I am sure it is a good product. I’m not defending SoPhons but I guess it is a major problem of forums neglecting less known antivirus products.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
One should not judge a product by running one test. Actually it might depends on what a person has in mind about a certain product. I mean if someone like Kaspersky and it fails in a test or another he will justify it by saying no product is perfect. In Sophos case, it is not well-known and I am sure it is a good product. I’m not defending SoPhons but I guess it is a major problem of forums neglecting less known antivirus products.
read the last line again, i ran more tests but didn't publish it on the hub, since they were embarassing

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.