Advice Request Sophos Home Premium?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Nice find. (y) HitmanPro.Alert alone costs 29.95€ for 1pc/1yr :D I don't see why would anyone now buy it since it's integrated in SHP.

Would be interesting to see if Sophos ever gets rid of the standalone HMPA down the road. The only way to get it (if they ever did get rid of it) would be to either purchase Intercept X or SHP

On a side note, I have OSArmor paired up with SHP, should I also add VS, or just keep it with OSA and Syshardener?

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Would be interesting to see if Sophos ever gets rid of the standalone HMPA down the road. The only way to get it (if they ever did get rid of it) would be to either purchase Intercept X or SHP

On a side note, I have OSArmor paired up with SHP, should I also add VS, or just keep it with OSA and Syshardener?

Do you trust your current setup? Does it suit your needs? Are you comfortable with it? :unsure: I know @Umbra would say if a security suite doesn't do all you want it may be the wrong suite.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Do you trust your current setup? Does it suit your needs? Are you comfortable with it? :unsure: I know @Umbra would say if a security suite doesn't do all you want it may be the wrong suite.

That's a very good point! Currently I'm very satisfied with SHP and OSA, I just have a tendency to over think things from time to time :) I will probably just keep using SHP and OSA and not add anything additional as is a very strong combo (IMO).

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
Now I run SHP + OSA and it is very light on my systems.:emoji_ok_hand:
But SHP does not have firewall, so is it useful to add Comodo firewall at my configuration ?

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

They use the old version of HMPA.
Nop. However, SHP use different version of HitmanPro.Alert. Latest stable HMP.A build is 739 (2018-03-29) HitmanPro.Alert 3 Release History , but latest integrated HMP.A in SHP is 3.6.16.617 Build (?) (2018-5-21)

Seems like 1.3 version now has updated HMP.A from previous 3.6.13.614 Build 723 (2017-11-22), to 3.6.16.617 Build (?) (2018-5-21), must've been some great improvements to HMP.A, system do indeed feel more responsive. (y)

HMP.A.PNG

As of posting this, latest stable SHP is 1.3.1 and integrated HMP.A is still 3.6.16.617 Build (?) (2018-5-21). There's is no changelog yet available for 1.3.1 SH/SHP release notes

Capture.PNG

ForgottenSeer 58943's post #32 explains why SHP used older builds of HMP.A.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Nop. However, SHP use different version of HitmanPro.Alert. Latest stable HMP.A build is 739 (2018-03-29) HitmanPro.Alert 3 Release History , but latest integrated HMP.A in SHP is 3.6.16.617 Build (?) (2018-5-21)

View attachment 191974

As of posting this, latest stable SHP is 1.3.1 and integrated HMP.A is still 3.6.16.617 Build (?) (2018-5-21). There's is no changelog yet available for 1.3.1 SH/SHP release notes

View attachment 191973

ForgottenSeer 58943's post #32 explains why SHP used older builds of HMP.A.

Hum:unsure:
Here Download HitmanPro Alert 3.5 and HitmanPro 3.7 with Kickstart | hitmanpro.com, Formerly surfright.nl, a Sophos Company we can see that the latest stable version of HMPA is 3.7.6.739

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
HeimdalPro installed but uninstalled some hours later because it updates some of my softwares in English and not in French:(
I do not find a tweak to correct this problem.:(

Hello,
I contacted Heimdal support and got an answer after only 20 hours(y):

Adrian Manolache (Heimdal Security)

Jul 9, 09:02 EEST

Hello,

Thank you for your email.
Unfortunately, at this moment we only update Firefox and Thunderbird in English, Spanish, Danish, and German.
In the future, we do plan to add other languages but for now, those listed are the only ones.

We apologize for the inconvenience

Thank you

Kind Regards,

Adrian Manolache
Heimdal Security A/S & Heimdal Security SRL

I found a solution, reinstalled Heimdal Pro and disabled auto updater;)

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

with the standalone version of Hmpa, you can add more applications to protect but you cant do it in SHP. like I added telegram to encrypt what I write in it.
i prefer Sophos free+HMPA
Sure, that's also an option if some don't mind paying more for a standalone HMP.A :p

There's a lot more routes to go when you have standalone HMP.A, combining with ReHIPS, AppGuard etc. Average people using PC's can't handle such combos, only security geeks. For standard home users Sophos Home Premium is perfectly enough with disabled powershell, cscript, and not installed JRE and some other security tweaks. You don't neccesarily need OSArmor/VoodooShield etc, you just need knowledge from where could attack vectors raise and safe browsing/computing habits with regular data backups. I personally like SHP with Windows Firewall and Sandboxie/Shadow Defender, but that's just me. E.g. I have set on my moms laptop SHP, disabled attack vectors mentioned above and learned her how to use Shadow Defender, that's it, she is perfectly fine doing banking online and working from home through Teamviewer/Splashtop accesing hospital database programs etc. :D

They should make an option for users to be able to manually add desired software to the explot-protected aplication list. Don't know much about Telegram though.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

with the standalone version of Hmpa, you can add more applications to protect but you cant do it in SHP. like I added telegram to encrypt what I write in it.
i prefer Sophos free+HMPA
I sent in your wish, so it will reach Sophos Home devs. To my understanding, only most world-wide used and commonly exploited and vulnerable applications are in the list, however if more users request same thing, there's more possibility for changes to happen.
(12:22:17 PM) Kevin: I can submit a feature request for you
(12:22:48 PM) Kevin: but is it a matter than you don't want sophos to scan this ?
(12:23:35 PM) Davis: Yeah, I'd like to request to add Telegram https://desktop.telegram.org/
(12:23:39 PM) Kevin: because we do have exceptions and local exclusions
(12:23:45 PM) Davis: SHP would still scan in/out traffic of it.
(12:24:01 PM) Kevin: ah no problem, I will submit that request for you now

Sophos has great support and SHP users have availability for Live Chat in working days. Contacting Sophos Home Support

I have asked them several other more in-detail questions that only devs can answer, will share answers here as soon as I get them. :)

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I hope a tester from MT, make a decision to put SHP in the hub, to see some results cause it's a very interesting product.
I can non-officialy confirm It would perform average, since I almost daily throw stuff at it from Hybrid, but sadly I don't have enough time to share the results. It struggles against scriptors, but here's the Sophos answer.
Hey there! We already have detections for several variants of Java/Adwinds so please submit a sample to us if you’re finding it is not detected. Regarding C&C, Intercept X’s Active Adversary Mitigations offer a number of additional detections and protections against an attacker who has remote access of the system. Thank you!

However, It wouln't be true real-world test for SHP because some malware prevention vectors are ignored by downloading from Hybrid, not directly from malware host.
Sophos Home Premium implements 3 overall technologies (Sophos, Invincea, HMP/HMPA)

Sophos and Invincea Technologies
Real-time AV
Anti-Botnet
Anti-PUA
Downloaded File Reputation
Web Protection
Heuristic Traffic Scanner

HMP/HMPA Technologies
On-Demand Scans
Exploit Mitigation
Risk Reduction (Backdoors, Sandbox, DLL Injections, Malicious USB, Process Hallowing)
Anti-Ransomware
MBR Protection
Safe Banking
Webcam Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.