Sophos Home: Totally free antivirus for home

Kim at Sophos

From Sophos
Thread author
Feb 11, 2016
Sophos Home is totally, 100% free antivirus for home being offered by Sophos. And no, there are no pesky ads asking you to upgrade. And no, this isn't just a trial period. It's free AV for your home forever*.

Protect up to 10 devices for both Macs and PCs. Manage security settings for the whole family from any browser. And it includes web filtering so you can block your kids/uncle from accessing inappropriate sites, etc.

Sophos Home protects with both signature based and signature-less/behavioral-based (zero day) detection (like you see in Sophos Cloud) including on-demand malware scan, on-access malware scan, malicious URL blocking, phishing protection, web filtering, and potentially unwanted app detection.

Feel free to ask me any questions on Sophos Home right here and I'll be sure to get back to you. Learn more about Sophos Home here.

*Or until our sun explodes, humans go extinct, etc. :eek:

SophosHomeDashboard-120515.png

You can get it here Free Antivirus for up to 10 Mac and Windows Users | Sophos Home

Last edited:

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Hi!

I have got a couple of questions, if you please:

- Do you work for/at Sophos?
- Is Sophos Home a purely cloud-based AV, or does it use a full offline database as well? (I'm assuming it does at least have some cloud component, but please let us know if otherwise.)

And, of course, welcome to MT!

Kim at Sophos

From Sophos
Thread author
Feb 11, 2016
Hi!

- Is Sophos Home a purely cloud-based AV, or does it use a full offline database as well? (I'm assuming it does at least have some cloud component, but please let us know if otherwise.)

Thanks, Jaspion! I do work at Sophos. :) And I'm going to double check this, but I believe it's purely cloud-based. Give me a day to confirm!

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Hi!

I dont think Sophos Home free is a cloud only anti virus. The Sophos Home installation folder in program data is around 660 MB and another folder in the program files it is 242 MB. Sophos Home had local signature in addition to cloud lookup.

Last edited:

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
Agreed with AzurePhoenix. A Sophos light but deadly suite - XG Firewall, Antivirus, Hitman Pro (where we can enable all or any of the ones we choose) would be wonderful.

Kim, are there any plans in place for a scenario like this? A standalone Sophos antivirus... I think I'll wait for a "Sophos Internet Security" with firewall. I use it on my Android, I hope the (hopefully soon-to-be-built) suite as good on PC.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Not many info on the product but it seems it's just a simple antivirus. Anyone has any idea what kind of protection it offers?
I agree with @Azure Phoenix that if they add hitman pro alert within the product it will be powerful but they will probably only add it in their endpoint security software.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I hope they stop banning my country,Iran
Export Information on Sophos Products - Legal

United States Export Controls
Sophos products are subject to US export regulations. In the United States, a branch of the U.S. Department of Commerce known as the Bureau of Industry and Security regulates exports through the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). These regulations spell out the export restrictions on a wide variety of goods, software, and technologies. Sophos products may not be exported to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, or Sudan, but most products may be exported to other countries subject to the applicable import regulations of such country.

Os4a

Level 1
Verified
Oct 23, 2015
Kim what's the idea behind going into free AV product market?
3 years ago I used Sophos Web Security when it was paid. I went for a trial period, did not pay but impressions were good. Also before that there was a rootkit search tool (free) and virus removal too (free). And I first tried another Sophos antivirus (can't even remember the name) in 2004 or something. Good to see the company is now offering full featured free AV.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.