Advice Request Sophos scan uses Hitman pro signatures?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I didn't know that. But if sohos use the same engine, it would be better as it can remove the infected files - AFAIK
you can use HMP to scan and select Open file location to manually remove them
I don't know about sophos but I don't think it uses the same engines as HMP (4 engines)
If you don't like manual removal, keep HMP's scan result open and use alternatives such as Norton power eraser (select advanced scan -> system scan) or zemana, which are extremely fast. Then, you can remove the same malwares that are marked by HMP previously
Removal from NPE and zemana is free

Last edited:

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Ty!

I just installed Hitman yesterday and it's amazingly fast. O.O

One problem i noticed is that it's scheduled scan was not working. Idk if Hard_config from andy_full could be the responsible.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Sophos free online scan uses Hitman pro signatures/engine?

As HITMAN pro only offers a trial of 30 days, Sophos online scan would be an alternative to access hitmanpro scan for free...
I think it's not fully integrated. I am using Sophos Home and I found out that it's detecting Tracking cookies just like HitmanPro, so some parts of Hitman are definitely integrated but not every engine I guess.

I will contact the support just to make sure.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Thats the answer that I got:

Unbenannt.PNG

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Also not really satisfied with the answer but I didn't dare to ask again. 😄

Yes, there seemed to be some confusion with HMP and HMP.Alert. We already know HMP.Alert and Sophos Intercept are together, but you were asking about the scanning engines. and whether the Sophos counterpart was using the same set.

I think the engineer should have been re-directed to the original question. But, since you're not going to ask again, SecureKongo, I am kind of a pest sometimes, so I sent an email to support. Let's see, but it will take longer for a response, though.

hmpsupportquery.PNG

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Heard back a while ago, sorry for delay. I didn't post all of it b/c part of it concerns my licenses.

So, if anyone wants to pick up the baton, the next stop would be contacting Sophos (again). No SurfRight engineer replied, and one of them would have been able to answer the questions. Oh well, they prob. have better things to do.

image_2021-03-25_161825.png

Edited to add: "again" as Sophos was contacted already before.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Heard back a while ago, sorry for delay. I didn't post all of it b/c part of it concerns my licenses.

So, if anyone wants to pick up the baton, the next stop would be contacting Sophos. No SurfRight engineer replied, and one of them would have been able to answer the questions. Oh well, they prob. have better things to do.

How is it that hard getting a simple "Yes" or "No" answer... But as I assumed already, some parts of HitmanPro are integrated into Sophos as it detects the same tracking cookies as HitmanPro. I might go infect my test system a little and check if both programs have the same detections. At least if nobody will get a better answer from the support in the coming days.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
They probably never integrated/assimilated the two companies when taking over SurfRight as that one already had a fantastic reputation upon acquisition. Not surprising if that is the case, that the person whom replied back doesn't have the info. because he/she is not part of Sophos, but strictly of SurfRight.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
They probably never integrated/assimilated the two companies when taking over SurfRight as that one already had a fantastic reputation upon acquisition. Not surprising if that is the case, that the person whom replied back doesn't have the info. because he/she is not part of Sophos, but strictly of SurfRight.

Unbenannt.PNG

There are definitely parts integrated into Sophos.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.