Advice Request Sound Cards

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Hi I am looking for a good sound card ,Asus,Creative ,etc to add to my z370 Msi Mobo. Is it stilla good option to buy these cards or should I go for better speakers? Thks
I was never really impressed with on board sound no matter which mobo brand.

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I was never really impressed with on board sound no matter which mobo brand.
It is not about the motherboard brand, but the audio device on the board and that varies. If you buy a budget board, you are going to get budget sound. If you buy a higher end board, you get higher end sound.

That said, when it comes to your ears with digital audio devices, it is typically the quality of the source file and speakers that matter most. But even the best quality source file and audio electronics can easily be ruined by poor quality speakers.

Consider this. In a good quality home theater or home stereo system, one speaker (say the front right) could easily cost several $100 to several $1000 - for one speaker and that does not include any of the pre-amp or amp electronics. But most 2.1 computer speaker systems cost well under $200 for both the left, right and subwoofer and all the amplification electronics too. Yet it seems many expect top quality audio from their computer speakers. :(

Yes, a good card will yield better quality sound than integrated. But if you don't have quality speakers to reproduce that sound, you are wasting your money.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Depending upon what speaker you use a dedicated sound card from ASUS or Creative (stay away from their entry level ) offers noticeable improvement in audio clarity over on-boards muddy sound quality. My Xonar DX for example outputs crystal clear output in comparison to my on-board ALC892 which sounds hollow and muddy mid range.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.