Speed up Chrome & Firefox by using a RAM disk

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by MrXidus, Jun 21, 2012.

?

Will you be giving RAMDisk a try?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    36.5%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. I would if I had the RAM to spare.

13 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. Evjl's Rain

Evjl's Rain Level 28
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 18, 2016
    Vietnam
    Windows 8.1
    Avast
    yes it might be correct but I still see a significant increase in my browsing speed
    according to my test, if I didn't use ram drive, my HDD usage if I opened 20 tabs at the same time was 99% but with ramdrive it was just 10%
    because most people are using pagefile/virtual memory and can can see browsing also increases pagefile activity regardless of ram size + HDD cache => high disk usage
    I disabled pagefile + have ramdrive => extremely low disk usage :D
    I really care about my HDD lifespan as I always saw my friends bringing their laptops to me with dead HDDs (6 times so far)

browsers are smarter and it's good but the advantages of using a ramdrive is always there :D

SHvFl and XhenEd like this.
  2. SHvFl

SHvFl Level 32
    Content Creator Trusted

Nov 19, 2014
    Supermodel for McDonald's
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    It's because of images in cache. Disable images to the whole browser and test. It will have minimal change in speed when using a ramdisk even if you have an hdd.

3. Duotone

Duotone Level 9

Mar 17, 2016
    GEODETIC ENGINEER
    Philippines
    Windows 7
    Default-Deny
    The gain is minimal even on an HDD... but I still use one as SBIE container.

XhenEd likes this.
  4. jamescv7

jamescv7 Level 61
    Trusted

Mar 15, 2011
    Web and FileMaker Developer
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    I think the concern is not on RAM but you need a tool that likely control the responsiveness against CPU eaters.

CPU usage holds the majority of functions on operation especially in the responsiveness.

venustus and XhenEd like this.
  5. Paul123

Paul123 Level 4

Dec 9, 2016
    IT Web Developer
    London
    Windows 10
    Zemana
    I thought Firefox (like Waterfox which I use) has a setting to cache to RAM anyway in the settings. I seem to remember typing about:config as the url and then setting browser.cache.disk.enable to false, and browser.cache.memory.enable to true, and browser.cache.memory.capacity to -1 (to make it dynamic). Its a while since I did it so I could be wrong.

6. giulia

giulia Level 4

Nov 30, 2016
    italy
    ESET
    hi
    i would like to do it with sierra osx ,but i don't know to do it :unsure::unsure: , move firefox and chrome cache

under windows ,i have found a big improvement,just because it's very slow to move the ram cache to the image file , and close windows

XhenEd likes this.