Content Creator
Trusted
AV-Tester
OS
Windows 8.1
Antivirus
Avast
Thanks!
I might try having a ram drive later. :)
I was just curious, since if I remember correctly, people from different sites and forums have discouraged using a ram disk even for browsers because they said that browsers have already been developed to be intelligent in managing RAM (and disk cache), making RAM disks useless.
yes it might be correct but I still see a significant increase in my browsing speed
according to my test, if I didn't use ram drive, my HDD usage if I opened 20 tabs at the same time was 99% but with ramdrive it was just 10%
because most people are using pagefile/virtual memory and can can see browsing also increases pagefile activity regardless of ram size + HDD cache => high disk usage
I disabled pagefile + have ramdrive => extremely low disk usage :D
I really care about my HDD lifespan as I always saw my friends bringing their laptops to me with dead HDDs (6 times so far)

browsers are smarter and it's good but the advantages of using a ramdrive is always there :D

SHvFl

Level 32
Content Creator
Trusted
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
yes it might be correct but I still see a significant increase in my browsing speed
according to my test, if I didn't use ram drive, my HDD usage if I opened 20 tabs at the same time was 99% but with ramdrive it was just 10%
because most people are using pagefile/virtual memory and can can see browsing also increases pagefile activity regardless of ram size + HDD cache => high disk usage
I disabled pagefile + have ramdrive => extremely low disk usage :D
I really care about my HDD lifespan as I always saw my friends bringing their laptops to me with dead HDDs (6 times so far)

browsers are smarter and it's good but the advantages of using a ramdrive is always there :D
It's because of images in cache. Disable images to the whole browser and test. It will have minimal change in speed when using a ramdisk even if you have an hdd.

OS
Windows 7
Antivirus
Default-Deny
The gain is minimal even on an HDD... but I still use one as SBIE container.

jamescv7

Level 61
Trusted
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft
I think the concern is not on RAM but you need a tool that likely control the responsiveness against CPU eaters.

CPU usage holds the majority of functions on operation especially in the responsiveness.

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Zemana
I thought Firefox (like Waterfox which I use) has a setting to cache to RAM anyway in the settings. I seem to remember typing about:config as the url and then setting browser.cache.disk.enable to false, and browser.cache.memory.enable to true, and browser.cache.memory.capacity to -1 (to make it dynamic). Its a while since I did it so I could be wrong.

Antivirus
ESET
hi
i would like to do it with sierra osx ,but i don't know to do it :unsure::unsure: , move firefox and chrome cache

under windows ,i have found a big improvement,just because it's very slow to move the ram cache to the image file , and close windows