Guide | How To Speed up Chrome & Firefox by using a RAM disk

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks!
I might try having a ram drive later. :)
I was just curious, since if I remember correctly, people from different sites and forums have discouraged using a ram disk even for browsers because they said that browsers have already been developed to be intelligent in managing RAM (and disk cache), making RAM disks useless.
yes it might be correct but I still see a significant increase in my browsing speed
according to my test, if I didn't use ram drive, my HDD usage if I opened 20 tabs at the same time was 99% but with ramdrive it was just 10%
because most people are using pagefile/virtual memory and can can see browsing also increases pagefile activity regardless of ram size + HDD cache => high disk usage
I disabled pagefile + have ramdrive => extremely low disk usage :D
I really care about my HDD lifespan as I always saw my friends bringing their laptops to me with dead HDDs (6 times so far)

browsers are smarter and it's good but the advantages of using a ramdrive is always there :D

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
yes it might be correct but I still see a significant increase in my browsing speed
according to my test, if I didn't use ram drive, my HDD usage if I opened 20 tabs at the same time was 99% but with ramdrive it was just 10%
because most people are using pagefile/virtual memory and can can see browsing also increases pagefile activity regardless of ram size + HDD cache => high disk usage
I disabled pagefile + have ramdrive => extremely low disk usage :D
I really care about my HDD lifespan as I always saw my friends bringing their laptops to me with dead HDDs (6 times so far)

browsers are smarter and it's good but the advantages of using a ramdrive is always there :D
It's because of images in cache. Disable images to the whole browser and test. It will have minimal change in speed when using a ramdisk even if you have an hdd.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think the concern is not on RAM but you need a tool that likely control the responsiveness against CPU eaters.

CPU usage holds the majority of functions on operation especially in the responsiveness.

Reactions: Venustus and XhenEd

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
I thought Firefox (like Waterfox which I use) has a setting to cache to RAM anyway in the settings. I seem to remember typing about:config as the url and then setting browser.cache.disk.enable to false, and browser.cache.memory.enable to true, and browser.cache.memory.capacity to -1 (to make it dynamic). Its a while since I did it so I could be wrong.

giulia

Level 5
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
i would like to do it with sierra osx ,but i don't know to do it :unsure::unsure: , move firefox and chrome cache

under windows ,i have found a big improvement,just because it's very slow to move the ram cache to the image file , and close windows

Reactions: XhenEd

Serious Noize

Level 5
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
I wanted to ask if there is a command line option for Chrome to where you can make the amount of Ram Chrome uses in the Ram Disk to clear itself out when it runs out of space. Not sure if I explained that right.

Example, you have Chromes cache running in a 1GB Ramdisk, it works great, with one exception, if you start to watch a streaming movie or something that eventually fills up the cache and you have the Cache set to 1GB, once the cache fills up it stops streaming until you manually clear the cache. I could increase the size of the Ramdisk, I have the memory to do so, but I don't want to do that.

Just wondering if there is an AUTOMATIC command line option for Chrome to prevent the cache from filling up like that? I looked a bit on the net but couldn't find one for command line options and ramdisk. Thanks in advance for anyone with this information. :)

I would also like to mention that Opera now works using a Ramdisk with the same settings that are mentioned here for Chrome. Just thought I would mention that for anyone who did not know.

And for those of you who do not know this : You can get a great FREE Ramdisk software with no limitations. Just go to this link and download what is the last FREEWARE version of SoftPerfects Ramdisk : Last Freeware Version of SoftPerfects Ramdisk
Although it warns you that it doesn't work well with CCLEANER when running it the first time. That's why I use Privazer now.

Anyway, just thought I would ask about the Cache issue and mention a few other things that some of you might find useful.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
hiya does anyone know about AMD Radeon RAMDisk you can get 4GB free and if your machine runs an AMD memory product you can get uo to 6 GB any ideas or suggestions
On win 10 64bit ,1803 latest patches it runs fine for me. Its my place for the sandboxie container

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Other unlimited option and updated is ImDisk Toolkit - but it is also unsigned. :(

Example, you have Chromes cache running in a 1GB Ramdisk, it works great, with one exception, if you start to watch a streaming movie or something that eventually fills up the cache and you have the Cache set to 1GB, once the cache fills up it stops streaming until you manually clear the cache.
Try to set the max cache limit for Chrome.

How To Change Google Chrome's Cache Location And Size - gHacks Tech News

AMD Radeon(TM) RAMDisk
Yes, I use this one, it automatically offers to move Temp folders there. I have also the whole browser and documents (game saves) stored there.

Attachments

• capture_10212018_115130.jpg
    capture_10212018_115130.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 451
  • capture_10212018_115140.jpg
    capture_10212018_115140.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 428
  • capture_10212018_115147.jpg
    capture_10212018_115147.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Do you see a significant performance improvement when running Chrome in Ram disk, as opposed to SSD?
Any other advantages to Ram disk, besides performance?

Reactions: harlan4096

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Any other advantages to Ram disk, besides performance?
If you move caches, temps and various potentially dangerous folders there, they will be 100% cleaned upon reboot (if you do not save RAMDisk).
A simple cleanup could be prevented by an opened process, but once RAM is cleaned, it will be gone, any opened process would most likely crash.

Do you see a significant performance improvement when running Chrome in Ram disk, as opposed to SSD?
Even the slowest RAM is faster than the fastest SSD, especially talking about an access time, so it is faster, but not that significantly.

Attachments

• xtreme_comparison2.jpg
    xtreme_comparison2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 533

Serious Noize

Level 5
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
Other unlimited option and updated is ImDisk Toolkit - but it is also unsigned. :(

Try to set the max cache limit for Chrome.

How To Change Google Chrome's Cache Location And Size - gHacks Tech News

Yes, I use this one, it automatically offers to move Temp folders there. I have also the whole browser and documents (game saves) stored there.

Thank you TairikuOkami! That seems to have resolved my issue with the ram disk filling up and freezing when watching streaming videos where I was left with that spinning arrow symbol over the video after the cache on the ram disk was full.

I had the size of the ram disk set in chrome command line and the location, but I noticed that it mentions on the page link you shared about adding it to the registry also, I did not know about that so I added the location and size to the registry and so far no more problems with the streaming videos stopping and freezing.

I don't know how it is handling the video though because I did a test and filled up the ram disk and started streaming some video and I noticed it writing files with the size listed as 0 kb even though the ram disk was showing as full. I checked the previous location on the hard drive for Chrome's cache and nothing was writing there, I thought perhaps it would default back to the hard drive if the ram disk was full but in my case it didn't. So would I be correct in assuming that once the cache is full on the ram disk and I am streaming video that it is processing it directly rather than using the cache?

Either way, I have no idea about none of that, but I can say that so far it's working just as I wanted it to, using the ram disk Cache and when full not freezing the streaming video.

Thanks again!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.